Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Left out pans of onions - do I have to throw out?

wwmom

Post Sat, Apr 09 2022, 8:53 pm
I made 2 9x13 pans of onions mixed with salt and oil, and by mistake left them in the oven if my pesach kitchen and didn’t notice until 16 hours later. Do I need to throw out?

Newcastle

Post Sat, Apr 09 2022, 10:05 pm
If no funny smell or taste, I’d feel it’s fine.

missknowitall

Post Sat, Apr 09 2022, 10:08 pm
Were they still raw? If they were cooked it's an issue "How long can cooked onions be left at room temperature? Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F; cooked onions should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature."

Common misconception spoiled food doesn't always taste or smell bad, you should never use that as a way to determine if something is spoiled.

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Sat, Apr 09 2022, 10:11 pm
A turned off oven for that length of time is a great environment to grow bacteria .Even a small bout of food poisoning at this juncture is a lot worse than the time and effort wasted to make those onions . Throw it out . Kapara.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 09 2022, 10:45 pm
Throw it out. It will ruin all the food it's added to and people can end up sick.
It's different than if it was left on the counter. In the closed oven it breeds bacteria quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics