Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Tips from a Lazy Mom
Previous  1  2  3  Next

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 3:14 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
It isn’t sticky at all.
Just a thicker Saran Wrap.

It has some sort of adhesive on it. You can feel it when you press it. It doesn't work upside down for a reason. The sticky residue it left on my fridge was a bunch of little dots, like the pixelatedish looking pattern of the press and seal plastic.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 3:19 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
But we have kumkums instead of ' huge soup pots of water which take forever'.
Plus there's always amazon.

Kumkums are indeed great!
Yes, a good reason for me to finally order something from amazon Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 3:19 pm
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
27.99 for a brick? We just get one from some leftover construction materials and wrap a wire coat hanger around it. DH uses a second strong hanger to pick up the loop he made on the wrapped one. He has two or three used from year to year.

We have a stainless sink & we don't blowtorch, just put in boiling water & add the brick. Not sure why you would need to blowtorch something that doesn't get used for cooking, only for hot pots at most.

I agree it's overpriced, but for me it's very worth it.

One advantage of blowtorching is that according to the Shulchan Aruch Harav it can be done even without letting the sink rest for 24 hours. Honestly blowtorching was pretty quick and easy.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.shopeichlers.com/products/kashering-pouring-pot/27611 - that’s the pot.

https://www.shopeichlers.com/p.....27608 - that’s the stone, basically a brick in a long handled cage.

It is instead of the iron, makes sure the water is actually boiling when it hits the counter. I heat it on a second burner while boiling the water.

The whole kashering process (including blow torching the sink) took under a half hour this year (aside for the time of boiling the water, my Pesach stove is slow). And only one towel!

Thanks for explaining!

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree it's overpriced, but for me it's very worth it.

One advantage of blowtorching is that according to the Shulchan Aruch Harav it can be done even without letting the sink rest for 24 hours. Honestly blowtorching was pretty quick and easy.

I'd pay the $28 in a heartbeat rather than try to manipulate a brick between two hangers as the other amother described. And for sure over an iron that you have to keep hearing.

Rivaa

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 5:19 pm
Fill a Crockpot with diced onions, leave on medium overnight, and wake up to perfectly sautéed onions!

happytobemom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 6:55 pm
seeker wrote:
I really don't understand why people would rather do this than just cover the counters. I always had counters that couldn't be kashered (made of synthetic covering) and it was no big deal to clean and cover them. I used contact paper but others got off even more easily by getting corrugated plastic and reusing it every year.

We do the same. The only thing I kasher with water is my sinks. I have corrugated plastic that I reuse every year.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:33 am
Rivaa wrote:
Fill a Crockpot with diced onions, leave on medium overnight, and wake up to perfectly sautéed onions!

No oil?

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:43 am
essie14 wrote:
No oil?

I do similar with a drop of oil.
Fill 9x13 bekalach with onions as many bekalach that you need for yom tov. (I do 4)
Put into oven on 200 Fahrenheit over night
Also do compote apple and pear in oven at 250 overnight. Those I do in deep 9x13 pans.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:43 am
Peel onions. Slice them with the slicing blade of the food processor. Put into 9x13 pan with oil. Cover. Bake at 250 overnight. I just put 3 9x13 pans, each with a 3lb bag of onions, sliced, into the oven. Looking forward to waking up to plenty of sauteed onions.

Op, thanx for the chocolate cake tip. I just made 3 pans of chocolate cake using your method. It was so much easier!
And please change your op title to super hacks for super efficient moms. You don't sound a bit lazy to me!

dena613

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 2:53 am
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
We have four or five kashering pots (you're not supposed to use the ones you cook with, AYLOR! we found this out after many years). They're old pots & I got a new set for cooking. The whole family borrows when they kasher.

Everyone should ask their LOR.
Our LOR says any chometzdik pot can be used as long as it's clean and hasn't been used in 24 hours

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 4:20 am
dena613 wrote:
Everyone should ask their LOR.
Our LOR says any chometzdik pot can be used as long as it's clean and hasn't been used in 24 hours

Why a chometz pot? We use our pesach pot... Now I'm wondering if we don't know what we're doing

I still can't figure out that the hot stone is for, you or the boiling waters over the stone to keep the water hot enough?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 5:13 am
Rivaa wrote:

Genius!

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 7:51 am
Rivaa wrote:

Was just coming to write this.
I do it almost every night, and then use it for so many things.

I add oil to it of course.

I then made delicious onion soup, roasts, doughless knishes etc.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 9:01 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Why a chometz pot? We use our pesach pot... Now I'm wondering if we don't know what we're doing

I still can't figure out that the hot stone is for, you or the boiling waters over the stone to keep the water hot enough?

We use a pesach pot too. The first year I made pesach, my grandmother told me she uses a chometz pot so she won't be boiling water from her not kashered sink in a pesach pot, and my mother said she uses a pesach pot so the sink will be kosher for pesach.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 9:21 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

We look it up again every single year I think. According to Rabbi Forst's book, if you are kashering utensils or something IN a pot, it should ideally be a separate pot used only for kashering. But if you are kashering (sinks, counters) by pouring FROM a pot, it should be done with pesach pots (rather than chometz. You're obviously still allowed to use a designated kashering pot)
HOWEVER, my husband thinks some opinions specifically say to use a chometz pot. So there are multiple opinions, just make sure you're following your minhag.
ETA: You probably need to make sure to fill with cold water if using pesach pots in chometz sink. Another thing to ask about.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:44 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
We look it up again every single year I think. According to Rabbi Forst's book, if you are kashering utensils or something IN a pot, it should ideally be a separate pot used only for kashering. But if you are kashering (sinks, counters) by pouring FROM a pot, it should be done with pesach pots (rather than chometz. You're obviously still allowed to use a designated kashering pot)
HOWEVER, my husband thinks some opinions specifically say to use a chometz pot. So there are multiple opinions, just make sure you're following your minhag.
ETA: You probably need to make sure to fill with cold water if using pesach pots in chometz sink. Another thing to ask about.

Because of conflicting opinions people just use a special koshering one.
We all share one….and so do many people I know.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:45 pm
The obvious lazy hack is making Mayo in he 2 lb plastic container…if anyone wants instructions I’ll post.
It’s so easy and fool proof.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:51 pm
We don’t use any products and peel all our fruit and veggies. Years ago we invested in a rotary potato peeler and apple peeler and they are game changers

Rivaa

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 4:24 pm
No oil?
Sorry. of course with oil. Forgot to mention it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics