Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Child Stealing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:22 pm
We have caught out 6 yr old son a couple times in the last few months taking things from stores. Nothing crazy but he found a keychain with his name he took and a pack of gum I found in his pocket…
I know he is young and I’ve never had this with any of my other children. Wondering if anyone has experience with this or any good recommendations for books I can read him etc…?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:24 pm
I don't know of any books, but you can take him to the store and have him give it back. Stores are used to it.....

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:26 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
I don't know of any books, but you can take him to the store and have him give it back. Stores are used to it.....

He'll also learn the consequences of his actions this way. Have him actually give it to a salesperson or manager, not just put it back on the shelf.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
He'll also learn the consequences of his actions this way. Have him actually give it to a salesperson or manager, not just put it back on the shelf.

Right.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:32 pm
Stay away from shame and moral lectures and understand that this is lack of impulse control. He can return to an employee (call or speak to them beforehand so they can be prepared to thank him for his honesty instead of deciding to lecture him in front of you). He may also be able to earn money for spending opportunities like small chores around the house so he can earn up to buy his own keychain with his name on it.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:36 pm
Just want to let you know that my sweetheart DD did the same at that age. It was so out of character for her and I was shocked. She took things from me, from her teacher, and from a classmate. When I got the truth out of her I expressed to her how serious it was. And of course she had to return what she took.

At this age, I don’t think children necessarily understand the gravity of their actions. Explain to him how other people feel when he takes their things.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:46 pm
My daughter used to take things from other kids houses that she would play at. I would find it, ask where it came from, remind her that it doesn’t belong to us and I’m returning it, and we would make an errand where I would leave it by the door of that house while she was in the car.

Shame is not a good tool at this age. Just be matter of fact and show that it goes back where it comes from.

If you leave a store, for example, next time just say when you go back there “oh, whoops, my son took this sorry we didn’t pay for it.” I’ve had this where I’ve walked off with something at the undercarriage of a cart and I forgot to pay for it. People usually just smile.

My daughter no longer takes things. It’s a phase.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 7:10 pm
My MIL A"H was a pre-1-A teacher for many years. She told me once that kids of that age taking things is very normal. It's impulse control, it's lack of really understanding that they can't take things they want belonging to someone else.

If it doesn't persist past this age, he will likely outgrow it.

Kids at a later stage who steal is something else, and is usually because they feel deprived.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics