Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Yiddishe 'words' book

cb

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:31 pm
I am looking to buy a book that translates words into yiddish, preferably with pictures. I try to speak yiddish with my kids but my vocabulary is not so great so I want to be able to learn more words while at the same time it will be a nice book for the kids, any suggestions?
I saw the book, 'my first 1000 words in yiddish', for $30 does anyone know if its a good book?

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:34 pm
chayas wrote:
I am looking to buy a book that translates words into yiddish, preferably with pictures. I try to speak yiddish with my kids but my vocabulary is not so great so I want to be able to learn more words while at the same time it will be a nice book for the kids, any suggestions?
I saw the book, 'my first 1000 words in yiddish', for $30 does anyone know if its a good book?

where did you see that? my dh only speaks yiddish to my kids. I would love to look at that.

cb

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:36 pm
my cousin sells some, if you want I can give you her number, let me know

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:40 pm
where does she sell them?

cb

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:42 pm
in crown heights
but I think they also are in boropark but you will have to ask her

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:44 pm
chayas wrote:
in crown heights
but I think they also are in boropark but you will have to ask her

I be an out of towner. but I will try and ask my sil if she can find it for me. thanks anyway.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:56 pm
is the title you listed the exact one?

girliesmommy

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:06 am
It's an EXCELLENT book!!! My kids love it.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:16 am
We have it. It's great!
I'm a bit of a critic, so I'll have to add that some of the pics are edited to make boys look Jewish... others are of Jewish boys.
Some pics, like for opposites- short, tall, fat, thin, the same boy's pic is stretched and skewed.

But all in all, since the kids don't mind or notice, it's great! Mostly accurate, colorful, large with protected pages. Smile

To further enhance your Yiddish, I suggest you buy Yiddish story tapes for your kids.
Not only will you pick up vocabulary, but you'll also catch on to the "speaking" grammar, which I found to be quite different from the formal grammar we learned in school.

cb

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:42 pm
thanks so much, I am happy to hear that people are happy with it, I hope to buy it iyh soon
yes I think that the name of the book but in yidish, not english

cb

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:25 pm
that book is 30$, I want to get it but my husband finds it too expensive, any other good books around??

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:27 pm
GAMZu wrote:
We have it. It's great!
I'm a bit of a critic, so I'll have to add that some of the pics are edited to make boys look Jewish... others are of Jewish boys.
Some pics, like for opposites- short, tall, fat, thin, the same boy's pic is stretched and skewed.

But all in all, since the kids don't mind or notice, it's great! Mostly accurate, colorful, large with protected pages. Smile

To further enhance your Yiddish, I suggest you buy Yiddish story tapes for your kids.
Not only will you pick up vocabulary, but you'll also catch on to the "speaking" grammar, which I found to be quite different from the formal grammar we learned in school.

can you find it online or do I have to find it in bp?

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:29 pm
There are no cheaper books of that caliber.
If you want, you can get a baby board book with one item per page and the word for it.
But that's 8 words, max.

You'll see, the kids will be mesmerized by it for a good long time. So many pages, there is always something to look at. I'd say it's the best investment - no other such books on the market.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:31 pm
GAMZu wrote:
There are no cheaper books of that caliber.
If you want, you can get a baby board book with one item per page and the word for it.
But that's 8 words, max.

You'll see, the kids will be mesmerized by it for a good long time. So many pages, there is always something to look at. I'd say it's the best investment - no other such books on the market.

where do I get it????? I have a couple of those mitzvah kinder tapes & dh speaks yiddish to my kids, but I'd love ot have some books. can I get it online or do I need to ask my sil in bp to get it for me?

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:32 pm
Probably Eichler's has it online. Check their site.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:33 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Probably Eichler's has it online. Check their site.

I'm assuming the bp eichlers and not the flatbush?

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:37 pm
maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but the only yiddish book seems to be "is it shabbos yet" in yiddish

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:42 pm
http://store.kehotonline.com/I.....ge=10
http://www.discountseforim.com......html

But they're more expensive than in-store...

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:44 pm
thanks. at least I know what it looks like now & can keep my eyes peeled. my sil is great about sending things to me from bp- maternity, robes, kids socks & such but it's kind of costly & then the shipping kind of gets to me too. but it costs less than several tickets. I'm really coming soon though- I have so much family to see.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics