Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Fantasy brown granite

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 2:03 pm
Any Have fantasy brown granite in their kitchen?

The guy at the store said it’s very popular. Yet every “inspiration pic” I look at are all white or very light countertops. Clean and fresh looking. Fantasy brown seems like it’s all over the place!
Fantasy brown is a natural stone and within our budget. Otherwise we’d have to go with quartz but I just love natural stone

Anyone have it and happy?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 2:53 pm
I just heard about it today & would love hear what people who have say about it.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 2:59 pm
Never heard of it. But I have white and grey quartz and hate it. They told me in the store it's so easy to take care of, but it isn't. It stains so easily, everything gets it dirty (even walking past it, the black from my clothing can rub onto the side of the counter, and then it turns grey)

If I could go back, I'd tell myself to do more research. And stay away from white.

So I'm doing the next best thing and telling other people.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Never heard of it. But I have white and grey quartz and hate it. They told me in the store it's so easy to take care of, but it isn't. It stains so easily, everything gets it dirty (even walking past it, the black from my clothing can rub onto the side of the counter, and then it turns grey)

If I could go back, I'd tell myself to do more research. And stay away from white.

So I'm doing the next best thing and telling other people.

Did you get it sealed?

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:14 pm
I'm an interior designer and I think it's really pretty

amother
Honey

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:30 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Did you get it sealed?

They told me quartz doesn't need to be sealed, but granite does. They said it as a way to say that quartz is better than granite.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:33 pm
A friend has it. It's gorgeous. Negative is it chips easily since is is not a full granite. Something like it is part marble or something. And indeed, hers is chipped in various places. I do not know if this is due to how it is being used. A few years old. Please verify this info with a professional.

Edited to say that Google confirms it is not a true granite and thus it is less durable than typical granite.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:36 pm
I have a version of the fantasy brown (there are different areas of the mountain and how it's cut). I love it. I got it in the leathered look rather than high gloss, with wood cabinets and a tile backsplash. I'm really happy with it.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:38 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
A friend has it. It's gorgeous. Negative is it chips easily since is is not a full granite. Something like it is part marble or something. And indeed, hers is chipped in various places. A few years old. Please verify this info with a professional.

Edited to say that Google confirms it is not a true granite and thus it is less durable than typical granite.

My sister has a full granite and it has cracked over the years in several places.

It is true though that it can chip. I have one tiny chip in a very not noticeable area. I have no idea how it happened. I just noticed it one day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 4:09 pm
Thank you everyone for the replies!
Is it dizzying bc it’s so much going on?

I haven’t finalised my cabinet Color’s yet. Im for sure doing white on top but was heavily considering navy blue for the bottom cabinets (or at the very least the island). The stone man said “fantasy brown goes with everything” but does it really go with navy? I don’t wanna do an all white kitchen

I was also considering the leathered fantasy brown. It’s nice? Easy to clean?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:18 pm
Anyone has navy and white cabinets with fantasy brown counters?

bk

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:24 pm
I redid my kitchen 3 years ago and went with fantasy brown. I had seen it a few years earlier and really liked it and so specifically asked for it (plus was that it was that much cheaper than any of teh quartz they were showing me!). Every piece is different, mine has more of a green coloring coming through than blue, but I would think it would be ok with blue. It really is 'colorful' enough to go with almost anything!

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:31 pm
Ooo, I just Googled fantasy brown. It's really pretty, and with white cabinets looks very modern. Here's a page with nice pics: https://www.clecabinets.com/fa.....tops/

I could see it going with navy or charcoal, in addition to the white. So pretty.

I did read that b/c it's not a true granite, it does get etching more easily than real granite. For that reason, some recommend going with the leathered version, as Chayalle did.

Disclaimer: I speak with the backing of Google only, not kitchen design experience...

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone has navy and white cabinets with fantasy brown counters?

I would do with all white, or white and light blue/wood tones

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:12 pm
and not do navy at all?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:13 pm
Fantasy a brown is not a granite nor is it a marble or quartzite. It is technically a sedimentary stone. It is harder than marble but not as hard as most granite.

It is a beautiful stone and extremely popular.

Like all natural stones, every slab is unique. You need to go to the stone yard and pick out the slab you want. Once you do you should have them mark it so that it is clear that it is your slab. You can’t just select Fantasy Brown. You have to select the slabs you fall in love with. Also ideally if you need more than one slab they should come from the same lot so they are similar.

Also you should be at the fabricator when they template your counter so you are happy with where the seams are and also where the pattern of the stone will be.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, May 09 2022, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:22 pm
thanks. yes I went down to a stone yard and they showed my the fantasy brown. it looks fine, but as I wrote earlier it feels like a lot going on.

Quote:
Ooo, I just Googled fantasy brown. It's really pretty, and with white cabinets looks very modern. Here's a page with nice pics: https://www.clecabinets.com/fa.....tops/

look at this link. see there is a picture of a slab? it doesn't look the same as it does on the counters! the slab I saw looks like the slab in the link. I like the way it looks on the counters in the link above but I don't get how that slab looks like those counters (does that even make sense?!)

Amarante

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks. yes I went down to a stone yard and they showed my the fantasy brown. it looks fine, but as I wrote earlier it feels like a lot going on.

Quote:

look at this link. see there is a picture of a slab? it doesn't look the same as it does on the counters! the slab I saw looks like the slab in the link. I like the way it looks on the counters in the link above but I don't get how that slab looks like those counters (does that even make sense?!)

Fantasy Brown is nit manufactured so every slab will look different. The counters look different because they are different.

You have to pick out the slab you like. If you don’t see a slab at one stone yard then you go to a different stone yard.

You don’t order natural stone based in samples that you see. You have to pick the exact stone

This is true of all natural stone as slabs will look different. I went to three stone yards before I found slabs I liked and even within the same small group this was one slab I liked more than the others.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was also considering the leathered fantasy brown. It’s nice? Easy to clean?

I love it and I find it a breeze to clean. (I use Method Granite cleaner, or method wipes to wipe down the counter. Over Pesach I used a product similar to the Kosher Dekal, and it left some sticky residue, so I used magic eraser to get it off. It wasn't too bad. No lasting issues.)

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 4:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Quote:

The counters I have look much more like the counters than the slab (though my finish is different.) The slab seems to have greyer tones. My counters, though grey, have all sorts of browns and some beige streaks...much more color than that slab seems to have. Smatterings of cool stuff all over the place. Like someone spilled and swirled a bunch of chocolate and coffee icecream.

BTW in the 3rd picture it shows a subway tile backsplash, I did something similar but the color I did, which IMVHO is a better match than the one pictured, is called Greige. It looks like a lighter grey, and it has some beige undertones. Here's a link to it, though in the online picture it looks more "beige" than it does IRL - it's actually more of a lighter grey.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bouti.....31378

Hatzlacha with your kitchen!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries