Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Postville immigrants arrested
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 9:45 am
wow - can jews get their name out there ... 700 jewish immigrants arrested in a raid in postville iowas meat packing business shock

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 9:48 am
there were only 2 jews, the rest were hispanic. and the total number was about 300.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 9:56 am
it doesn't matter who was arrested ... the company is a jewish company and either way a chillul Hashem ...

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 9:59 am
From Yeshivaworld.com

BREAKING: Agriprocessors Raided By US Immigration Police, 300 Estimated Arrested
May 12, 2008
[UPDATED BELOW] According to The Des Moines Register, US Immigration officials are currently raiding the nations largest Kosher meat-packaging plant, Agriprocessors Inc., located in Postville, Iowa. Agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Monday issued criminal search warrants for aggravated identify theft and fraudulent Social Security numbers.

Agency spokesman Tim Counts told the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier that civil search warrants also were issued for illegal immigrants, and agents and medical professionals are evaluating those who have been arrested.

Immigration officials told aides to U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley that they expect 600 to 700 arrests. About 1,000 to 1,500 people work at the plant, according to Iowa Workforce Development.

Earlier this morning, a helicopter hovered over the scene, and a number of agents formed a perimeter around the Agriprocessors facility. Vehicles from ICE and at least eight cars and vans from the Iowa State Patrol were at the plant. There were also reports of two moving vans at the scene, along with an ambulance and two black Chevrolet Suburbans. Additionally, four Homeland Security buses with U.S. Immigration and Customs tags on them have entered the Agriprocessors Inc. complex.

Further details will be posted by YWN as soon as an official statement is issued.

UPDATE 5:25PM EST: The Des Moines Register now reports that there have been 300 arrests. Additionally, they are quoting a special agent with US customs who claims that this was the largest raid of its kind in Iowa.

UPDATE 9:00PM EST: [Click HERE for video] The following information was released by the US Department of Justice, and the US Customs Enforcement:

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents executed a criminal search warrant this morning at Agriprocessors, Inc., in Postville, Iowa, for evidence relating to aggravated identity theft, fraudulent use of Social Security numbers and other crimes, as well as a civil search warrant for people illegally in the United States. The announcement was made by United States Attorney for the Northern District of Iowa Matt M. Dummermuth and ICE Special Agent in Charge Claude Arnold.

“This is not the first time this office has been a part of a criminal worksite enforcement operation,” said Dummermuth. “However, this is the largest operation of its type ever in Iowa. Agents and officers from federal, state, and local agencies are involved today. The coordination and logistical planning efforts have been going on for months.”

“ICE is committed to enforcing the nation’s immigration laws in the workplace to maintain the integrity of the immigration system,” said Claude Arnold, Special Agent in Charge of the ICE Office of Investigations in Bloomington, Minnesota. “We carry out that obligation in a fair and responsible manner, ensuring humanitarian needs are taken into consideration.

Anyone encountered during this operation who is discovered to be in the United States illegally eventually will be placed into administrative removal proceedings. So far, ICE agents have arrested more than 300 individuals for administrative immigration violations.

All of those taken into custody during today’s operation will be interviewed by ICE agents and Public Health Service officers to determine if they have health, caregiver, or other humanitarian concerns. As a result of those interviews, over 40 individuals have so far been released on humanitarian grounds under supervision, pending future immigration proceedings.

ICE has established a toll-free number that family members can call to obtain information about the custody status and detention location of those detained today. That number is 866-341-3858.
Contacts were made this morning to alert local schools, government officials and the Iowa Department of Human Services about the operation.

The men apprehended today initially will be held in housing established for their detention at Estel Hall, in Waterloo, Iowa; women initially will be held at local county jails.

The investigation is being led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Other agencies assisting today include the United States Marshals Service; United States Postal Inspections Service; Iowa Department of Public Safety; Iowa Department of Transportation; Federal Bureau of Investigation; Federal Protective Service; Internal Revenue Service-Criminal Investigations; United States Department of Labor; Public Health Service; United States Department of Agriculture; United States Environmental Protection Agency; Iowa Department of Natural Resources; Drug Enforcement Administration; Waterloo Police Department; and the Postville Police Department.

gryp

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 10:11 am
Baaad story. And such a Chillul Hashem. Sad

I guess that means we'll be buying meat and chicken at double or triple prices. Mad

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 10:18 am
Oy! What a chillul hashem. yikes.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 10:20 am
haven't there been a lot of bad frum stories in the press lately? it looks not so good at all.

cindy324

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 2:30 pm
Yes, it's a chillul hashem, but how is it different from all the other ICE raids on other factories, plants all over the country? It's not like people could say, it's ONLY the Jews.

Also, employers are not required (at least not yet, although there were some plans ) to verify if someone's SS# is real or fake, or if they're using someone else's identity. So let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and at least assume that they were trying to keep things legal by requiring that everyone have a SS# and get paid on the books.

Also, some of these jobs are the kind that an American citizen would NEVER do for the kind of $$ they pay. They'd just take advantage of government aid until they find something suitable. Illegals will work anywhere for almost any $$ , because they have no other choice.

They've been cracking down on illegals for some time now, especially in cities near the borders. There have been thousands of Mexicans and others arrested and deported.

Squash

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 2:38 pm
cindy324 wrote:

Also, employers are not required (at least not yet, although there were some plans ) to verify if someone's SS# is real or fake, or if they're using someone else's identity. So let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and at least assume that they were trying to keep things legal by requiring that everyone have a SS# and get paid on the books.

Thumbs Up

gryp

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 2:53 pm
Cindy, I do agree with you. It's just that there are some comments I've been reading posted on the news article and it really brings the anti-semites out. Which led me to think- is it still considered a Chillul Hashem when the person is an anti-semite to begin with.

Iowa is cracking down on their illegal immigrants, and good for Iowa! But really, if they're going to crackdown wouldn't it make more sense to start at the prisons and not at the factories. I've been told that the work they do at the slaughterhouse is not easy, and hard work usually breeds good men.
But then the article says that the crackdown is also because of links to criminal activity, so who knows.

Personally I'm glad for the crackdown, but I'm less than thrilled that the price of meat will ostensibly go up once again.

shayna82

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 3:53 pm
yeah GR, the first thing I thought when I read the news was, o man, food isnt high enough, now its gonna be even more to buy a pack of ground beef! uch, what a mess.

cindy324

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 4:20 pm
Quote:
is it still considered a Chillul Hashem when the person is an anti-semite to begin with.

What do you mean? Are the owners of the plant jewish but not observant?
Sorry, I'm not clear on what the above means embarrassed (long day, braincells are barely flickering)

Quote:
But really, if they're going to crackdown wouldn't it make more sense to start at the prisons and not at the factories.

Those that are imprisoned , once they're done serving their time they do not get released, they get turned over to ICE and get deported pretty quick. Unless of course someone drops the ball and they end up free to roam society, which HAS happened more than ICE cares to admit.

Quote:
But then the article says that the crackdown is also because of links to criminal activity, so who knows.

I only read the article that was posted by Defy. The only criminal activity there would be identity theft and using fraudulent SS#, which I guess would go hand in hand. Is there anything more serious than that?

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 4:22 pm
I think she meant that if something will cause an antisemite to think badly of frum yidden, then it could be considered a chillul hashem.

gryp

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 4:33 pm
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to some nasty comments I wish I hadn't read to the original news article online written by some obvious anti-semites. It made me wonder if something can be considered a Chillul Hashem if the person who hates Jews would hate them anyway, news story or not.

Tehilla

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 4:36 pm
I don't think it changes the fact of an action being right or wrong GR.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 4:37 pm
true it is wrong but I don't think it becomes more of a chillul hashem b/c some jew haters found something to make their miserable lives happy

louche

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 6:54 pm
An employer doesn't have to hire private investigators to find out if a worker's SSN is legit, but he does have a responsibility to ensure that anyone hired is either a US citizen or has a green card. This question is normally right on the applicaton.

ArthurDent

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 7:00 pm
louche wrote:
An employer doesn't have to hire private investigators to find out if a worker's SSN is legit, but he does have a responsibility to ensure that anyone hired is either a US citizen or has a green card. This question is normally right on the applicaton.

Yes, but the laws place a very low burden on employers. All they are required to do is have their employees provide a legitimate ID (from a list of approved ones) that has their SSN on it. A fake SSN card is often used by illegal immigrants and accepted by employers. Employers are not required to investigate into it any further than looking at the card. (Although there was one case where an employer was fined b/c he didn't flip over the other side of the card and see that it was blank, which would have tipped him off that it was a fake. But authorities agree that this was an outlier case.)

ora_43

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:03 pm
GR wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to some nasty comments I wish I hadn't read to the original news article online written by some obvious anti-semites. It made me wonder if something can be considered a Chillul Hashem if the person who hates Jews would hate them anyway, news story or not.

IMO it's even more of a problem if the person hates Jews already.

A normal, non anti-Semite will see a bad story involving Jews and think "Oh how awful, I can't believe what the world is coming to," and then forget about it.

An anti-Semite will mentally file it as "Bad things Jews have done #5,316," and will almost certainly pass it on while making sure to point out that those involved were Jewish.

In other words if your average person sees a chillul Hashem it ends with them... with an anti-Semite it often gets passed on to many people. Just my experience.

ora_43

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:09 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Also, some of these jobs are the kind that an American citizen would NEVER do for the kind of $$ they pay. They'd just take advantage of government aid until they find something suitable. Illegals will work anywhere for almost any $$ , because they have no other choice.

That's not an excuse, it's the problem. Without illegal workers employers would have to pay more and give decent working conditions; with them, they can get away with almost anything.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics