Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How much Omer did you count?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:17 pm
Every night all the way to 49. I may have missed one night and counted by day (can't remember, I do remember reminding a couple of kids to count by day who forgot at night). Easy mitzvah, why wouldn't you try to do it?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:27 pm
Stopped very early this year. I am very discouraged about sfirah since last year I only remembered to count on shabbos day after shkia and the Rav said I couldn't continue with a Bracha but if I was a man I would have been able to. Shabbos is always the hardest for me to remember because I'm so reliant on phone reminders.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:38 pm
Never missed a day I did all 49 Bh

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:54 pm
B”H I did the whole thing and this year I had the whole family count as a family at Tzeis, roughly 9 or so every night. Even when kids were on sleepovers, I called them. Even when my husband and I were out a few times, we all counted when we got home. Also we made early Shabbos but remembered at around 9 B”H every week. A lot of other women in my neighborhood say that they only switch to early Shabbos after Shavuos so that their husbands will count in Shul and not forget.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:40 pm
I counted 49 times, most were at night so with a bracha.

I'm so hyper-aware of sefira that I panicked a few times on Shavuos that I hadn't counted the night before. I have to turn off my internal sefira alarm LOL

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:44 pm
Counted every night till the end with a bracha (B”H). Since I started setting a Sefira alarm on my phone, I have finished EVERY year. It’s been quite a number of years, and it’s become such a habit, that I no longer even rely on my phone for the reminders.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:50 pm
Every night, B"H! I get both a text and email reminder. The hardest nights to remember are Friday nights so we try to put a sefira chart on the Shabbos table to remind us.

dessara

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:53 pm
I also counted all the days of sefira until the end. I have bH made it to the end with a Bracha every year since I was a child. I find his comment very offensive. He should have at least said, “it’s hard for women, who don’t daven with a minyan. I will try to remind you so that you don’t forget.” Next year, tell him it’s his job to remind you each night when he comes home for shul. (And then you can celebrate both of you making it to the end of sefira with a special cheesecake:))

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:19 am
I set an alarm to go off around 8:45-9:00 every night.
Sometimes dh reminds me and sometimes I remind him and sometimes we remind ourselves.
OP sorry but your dh needs to get rid of the misogynistic attitudes he's absorbed from his environment.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:03 am
All 49 Hooray

As a child my father would remind us each night and I always counted. After got married, dh had the same attitude that women don't have to, I went years trying and messing up.

Now with apps to remind me and older children who help me remember on friday night, I am so happy to do it again.

Its not that women can't, men have maariv as a built in reminder. Many women don't daven maariv.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:09 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Right, but I said for men that DONT get to maariv. There are many such men. And then why are men, like that, any different than women. I know many women count omer.

That's true. No difference then. In my immediate family the men are regular ma'ariv goers.

And my DH saying a comment like that would just be in humour, I would really not be offended, because I really do usually forget somewhere along the line, so I'd probably laugh and try extra hard to get to the end.

KJP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:10 am
salt wrote:
I counted till the end, but one of the days in the middle, I missed at night and counted in the morning without a bracha.

I usually end up doing the same thing, but I still count it as making it to the end. I have finished this way for many years b"h.

synthy

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:16 am
I only remembered day 1.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:26 am
Any yekkes?

You’ve got to count for that cheesecake Smile

(FYI a man can daven maariv every night at a minyan that it is too early to count sefira)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:58 am
WitchKitty wrote:
On the first night of sefiras haomer, dh said:
"Women don't even need to start, because they never manage to count until the end".
So of course at that moment I decided that THIS year, I'll count until the very last day.
And I did. Count. Until the last day. And 70 minutes into Shavous realized I did not count the last day.

Turns out my sister also heard him saying that and decided to prove him wrong too, and she managed to count until day 47.

So, is my dear husband right? How many of you actually managed to count all the way through?

We can ALWAYS count all the way through. Sometimes we forget one day. OK, no more bracha, but why give up? Why not count till the end.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:02 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
"Women don't even need to start, because they never manage to count until the end".
So of course at that moment I decided that THIS year, I'll count until the very last day.
And I did. Count. Until the last day. And 70 minutes into Shavous realized I did not count the last day.

Turns out my sister also heard him saying that and decided to prove him wrong too, and she managed to count until day 47.

So, is my dear husband right? How many of you actually managed to count all the way through?

I generally make it all the way through, but this year I didn’t even do the first night….or the first day.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:06 pm
I count without a Bracha because I never get to the finish line. I always mess up.

However my DD B"AH has been counting (with a Bracha) for several years now.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:43 pm
grace413 wrote:
BH counted all the way through. And that's with a trip to the States in the middle.

My DH and I do it together. Very romantic.

Travel and sfirat haomer Surprised
Impressive

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:11 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

Yes, you can tell him that my two daughters and I at home all counted all the way through, with a bracha, at night, without once forgetting, b"H. I know my mother also made it all the way through without forgetting even once.

I made it a priority. I had an alarm clock set in my phone for 9:15 PM Sunday through Thursday, and for Fridays I had a reminder sign that I placed on the dining room table.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:15 pm
I messed up on day 6 (second days of pesach.) It’s the days without phone reminders that are tricky. I usually remember to count, but don’t have the words in front of me so push it off- and then forget.🙄
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note