Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Any Shomer Shabbos Rabbis hold that swimming is ok in 9 days
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 1:50 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
שבוע שחל בו the week that tisha b'av falls out. So for this year does that mean the whole week till shabbos or only Sunday? Because 9 av is on shabbos.
I wasnt saying anything about shavua sh'chal bo. I was saying that the poster who wrote "across the board" was not saying anything ethnocentric but that that, "across the board" is an actual phrase. I know what shavua sh'chal bo is.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
Yep, for health purposes we've gotten a heter in the past.

OP specifically said "for pleasure".

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 8:27 pm
so meaning that I cant do my daily exercise what I do in the gym in the nine days?

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do any Shomer Shabbos Rabbis hold that adults swimming (for pleasure) in the 9 days is ok?

Or is swimming for pleasure, Assur, across the board, among all Orthodox Rabbis?

tia

Just want to say that this post really bothers me... someone who is not shomer shabbos cannot be a rabbi, as this is one of the biggest aveiros! And is shomer shabbos your only qualification to trust a rabbi???? Puke

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do any Shomer Shabbos Rabbis hold that adults swimming (for pleasure) in the 9 days is ok?

Or is swimming for pleasure, Assur, across the board, among all Orthodox Rabbis?

tia

Assur. Plus it’s a dangerous time so please dont

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:04 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
And I am positive that there are heterim as needed for things like medical need, when it's not for pleasure.

(If you're trying to be dlkz someone.)

OP clearly asked about for pleasure.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:05 pm
I noticed that after.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:06 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
My father has a fleishig restaurant that is closed in the 9 days, but open on the day before Rosh Chodesh. He doesn't close early because it's already Rosh Chodesh, and Sefardim do come to eat meat that night. Ashkenazim only eat the parve stuff after nightfall.

Where is it? Brooklyn?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:23 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
Just want to say that this post really bothers me... someone who is not shomer shabbos cannot be a rabbi, as this is one of the biggest aveiros! And is shomer shabbos your only qualification to trust a rabbi???? Puke

Simple. I think theres all levels of observance even among Orthodox Rabbis, who give different psakim and heterim for different issues, so instead of saying Orthodox, I asked about Shomer Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:26 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Assur. Plus it’s a dangerous time so please dont

I think that too.

Aamof I was so sure that I remembered hearing that the terrible helicopter accident many years ago where 6 people died, happened in the 9 days, but I checked the date from the newspaper and Hebcal, it happened after Shabbos Nachamu.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:38 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Sfardim I wouldn't do it because it says משום סכנה. I am too superstitious....

I thought that sakana was the reason it was forbidden, not pleasure. Which is it? Or is it both?

dovebird

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:46 pm
ylev wrote:
I keep reading posts about the customs of sepharadim during the 9 days and I want to point out that we don't eat meat or swim after rosh chodesh. The only big difference is showering and laundry, we do it until shavua shechal bo. Most of the sepharadim I know hold this way.

I'm Sephardic and we are allowed to swim just no meat.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:51 pm
People think they could shop for opinions, instead of asking their rav.
Does it really matter what other people are doing? Unless OP has a swimming pool and people are asking to use it during the nine days or is dealing with children or a spouse that are telling her that someone allows swimming. In which case, the problem isn't the swimming but that the family needs more connection to a rav.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 10:55 pm
We once had a blackout in the 9 days on a very particulaly hot day. There was no air conditioning. This was in a Chassidish bungalow colony. The dayan on premises instructed that all pregnant women should go into the pool. I'm not sure what he paskened about the rest but this I clearly remember.

salt

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 4:00 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
We once had a blackout in the 9 days on a very particulaly hot day. There was no air conditioning. This was in a Chassidish bungalow colony. The dayan on premises instructed that all pregnant women should go into the pool. I'm not sure what he paskened about the rest but this I clearly remember.

Drinking plenty of water would probably have done the trick too.
Or are you talking about on 9 Av?

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 8:35 am
A sprinkler would probably be a better solution. Afaik that’s fine in the 9 days….maybe creating extra laundry though…

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 9:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Simple. I think theres all levels of observance even among Orthodox Rabbis, who give different psakim and heterim for different issues, so instead of saying Orthodox, I asked about Shomer Shabbos.

Huh? FTR there are Conservative rabbis who are shomer shabbos. I know frum BTs (now fully Orthodox) who.got their first exposure to.kiruv through them. They are personally shomer shabbos but what used to be called "conservadox" so they'd daven in a shul without a mechitzah, etc. There's a reason the advice for these type of questions is usually AYLOR not a "shomer shabbos rabbi."

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 9:06 am
doodlesmom wrote:
A sprinkler would probably be a better solution. Afaik that’s fine in the 9 days….maybe creating extra laundry though…

That's what I was thinking. Or a long cool shower/ soak in a tub.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

tia

Sefardi rabbis? Until the week of.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 1:07 pm
My kids went to The Zone camp last year, and my son said they went swimming during the 9 days (he's a teenager and knew what was what, not a little kid who didn't recall that there was no swimming for a week)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note