Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Hamilton on broadway
1  2  Next

LO

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:30 am
Has anyone seen it? Would like to know if it's appropriate for a teenager. And if it's good. Smile Please share any feedback, thanks!

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:36 am
LO wrote:
Has anyone seen it? Would like to know if it's appropriate for a teenager. And if it's good. Smile Please share any feedback, thanks!

If you have Disney+ you can check it out before seeing it live. I don't remember it being too racy or anything, though.

LO

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:38 am
I don't have it....how does it work? I don't want to watch the whole video if I can avoid it....plus I feel like broadway changes stuff anyway, no?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:40 am
Hamilton on Disney+ is the Broadway show, nothing was changed.
Personally, while I think the singing, acting, costumes, and sets were all very good, and I can appreciate all of it, it was not my thing. I would not watch it again, and I wouldn’t go see it on Broadway.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:47 am
There are definitely some parts that would not be appropriate for more sheltered teenagers, but its hard to say what your comfort level is...
(Alexander Hamilton has an affair and the dancing/music in that scene is very graphic, etc)

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:50 am
some other things like that that I wouldn't be comfortable with for my teenagers

LO

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:00 am
Oh. Sad Can you recommend something else that we could see? I did Phantom already, not sure what else from what is available now is appropriate....

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:06 pm
LO wrote:
Oh. Sad Can you recommend something else that we could see? I did Phantom already, not sure what else from what is available now is appropriate....

Wait... Phantom is okay, but not Hamilton?

Phantom where the phantom kidnaps Christine bc he wants her all to himself?

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:10 pm
There is some s-xual innuendo in Hamilton so if they are very sheltered that may be a problem but it’s an amazing show.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:11 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
There is some s-xual innuendo in Hamilton so if they are very sheltered that may be a problem but it’s an amazing show.

There's also s-xual innuendo in Phantom....

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:11 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there also some not so clean language?

bsy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:12 pm
I would not call Hamilton clean for teens. I love it and have watched it on Disney plus numerous times. But the language and content can't be considered clean.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:12 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there also some not so clean language?

Yup there’s a few words here and there. I would rate it pg-13.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:18 pm
again, I'm sure some people would be comfortable with it, but Hamilton is definitely more openly inappropriate in certain scenes- songs and dances that are very suggestive, half of the show revolves around Hamilton having an affair, there is also cursing, etc.
More so than Phantom where its less overt and also presented in a more artistic way, some innuendo but not outright
its definitely a different level

did you see Aladdin?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:50 pm
Hamilton has ONE song that gets graphic, and some bad words sprinkled here and there.

Other than that, it's a brilliant show that is best appreciated if one has listened to/read the lyrics and appreciates word play.

I saw it recently and was blown away. I've listened numerous times to the soundtrack and watched it on Disney, but I still cried during that scene in It's Quiet Uptown. There's something about live theater.

LO

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:40 pm
I felt like Phantom was borderline and I had seen it on my own before I took my teen. It's not so overt and although it's a romance in theory, not much actually happens....So I am torn about Hamilton....curse words I am not so bothered by, but if there is actual kissing and stuff, that would bother me more....

LO

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:41 pm
isn't Alladin also kind of romantic?

Batsheva1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:46 pm
What about Wicked? It's awesome! That's in its own league but Come From Away is also very good and clean and appropriate.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:49 pm
LO wrote:
isn't Alladin also kind of romantic?

There is a romance but I would say Aladdin is cleaner than Hamilton or Wicked.

There’s also Lion King and Frozen.

LO

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:53 pm
Yeah, I might do "come from away". Sounds really good although my teen isn't so excited about it. I think I would love it though...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics