Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
ISO crash course about Shabbos
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:15 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks. Are the children's books informative and practical enough to give an adult a clear idea of do/don't?

I had the 39 melochos book growing up and while it's a great book for kids, it's not practical for how to run shabbos.

Simcha36

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 10:03 am
Simple1 wrote:
What about a book? Don't know titles off hand, but there are for sure some easy to read books out there.

Rabbi Ribiat has 3 volumes many jewish home learn from regularly. great shahhbos table family learning, a page or 2 at a time.

After learning in solid yeshiva schools for 12+ years, we are still learning halachos of Shbabos at home weekly. we def dont know everything. its nice to refresh what we did learn in Junior High and Highschool.

its not a crash course. to observe properly need to always be learning. very intricate details

"lo am haaretz chasid" - a person who is not well informed (by learning all details) cant observe all details

Its ok not to know, its ok to learn weekly small doses, hashem appreciate the growing , the process and the goal in learning and credit the effort.

Another great book to learn halachos of shabbos is Rav Newirth ah books

Booth books have indexes alphabetically where can look up stuff (like ice cubes un shabbos, where u can dind out - can you freeze water, for example, on shabbos)

Its a wonderful journey you are taking!!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 11:23 am
seeker wrote:
Someone asked me if I know a way to learn the basics of hilchos Shabbos fairly easily and quickly. I'm thinking like a podcast or TorahAnytime series of 5-10 minute bites covering one melacha each that someone can listen to a small amount each day and come out basically aware of what it's about. Anyone know of such a thing? Easy to listen to and digest?

I tried searching TorahAnytime and it was too hard to sift through the results to figure out what might meet this criteria (of being quick and easy but broad coverage.)

There is a WhatsApp group called שבת that gives a short lesson every day….

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:28 pm
jycar wrote:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCHsWB_TauqO-U6NFT3QropQ

This seems really nice but there isn't that much there yet and it doesn't seem to be updated often... I' ll be keeping an eye on it though, thanks!

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:28 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
There is a WhatsApp group called שבת that gives a short lesson every day….

How would one join?

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:32 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
Rabbi Ribiat has 3 volumes many jewish home learn from regularly. great shahhbos table family learning, a page or 2 at a time.

After learning in solid yeshiva schools for 12+ years, we are still learning halachos of Shbabos at home weekly. we def dont know everything. its nice to refresh what we did learn in Junior High and Highschool.

its not a crash course. to observe properly need to always be learning. very intricate details

"lo am haaretz chasid" - a person who is not well informed (by learning all details) cant observe all details

Its ok not to know, its ok to learn weekly small doses, hashem appreciate the growing , the process and the goal in learning and credit the effort.

Another great book to learn halachos of shabbos is Rav Newirth ah books

Booth books have indexes alphabetically where can look up stuff (like ice cubes un shabbos, where u can dind out - can you freeze water, for example, on shabbos)

Its a wonderful journey you are taking!!

I agree it's great to learn a little at a time in detail but I'm talking about a situation where the person is going a couple of pages at a time through The Shabbos Kitchen, so they know quite a lot about kli rishon and kli sheini and maachel ben drusai, but they had never heard that you don't wash clothes on Shabbos. So if the coffee they prepared in their kli shlishi splashed on their shirt, they'd be washing it in the sink on Shabbos. They were very embarrassed not to know that this was actually any type of melacha at all. Or they know about heating up food on a blech but not that you shouldn't rip the aluminum foil to wrap it on Shabbos. They had no idea that not ripping freehand was a thing and thought we use tissues instead of toilet paper because you can't tear on the lines.

So, they're still learning bit by bit, but would be really nice to have a basic overview.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:38 pm
Sorry, I accidentally did quote instead of edit and now I can't delete the double. Oh well.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:23 pm
seeker wrote:
How would one join?

If you message me, I can send you the number
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions