Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is Cleveland as great as he thinks it is? + Waterbury Info
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:24 pm
https://kt-estates.com/

Info on Naugatuck

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:14 pm
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
What if I currently have both failing district voucher (grandfathered in) and low income, so I pay nothing. What happens when my income goes up?

Same. You keep your voucher but may be obligated to pay tuition remaining after the voucher.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:16 pm
House in Waterbury that just went up for sale. Great location and the only on available at the moment. Price per square foot is way less than recent sales. Almost entirely frum block, lots of kids.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ct/wa.....23320

About growth we've around doubled in ten years. 300-325 families now and 15 in naugatuck.

Idk who is a Kollel wife and who isn't. It's also not my age group but everyone seems mixed together. It's also a good soft landing community for new couples coming from Israel bc of the community cohesiveness and support.

Yes the houses in the main area are older but some of them have really beautiful features. And they'll run you 200k less than blue ridge or kesser torah. Budget is usually deciding factor. But blue ridge always has last minute rentals available. It's nice and new but isolated and like living in a bungalow colony. If that's your thing you'll be happy there. But yitzy who runs it recommends a stay specifically in blue ridge before moving there. They are still building new homes there too.

BR and KT are not walkable but Avalon is. We also get a large influx of chussids during the summer and some people prefer davening with them.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:30 pm
I don't think anyone answered op questions about activities to do in the area when coming to visit waterbury...
Depends on ages of your kids/ weather..
There's a really nice park- Fulton park with playground etc right near bnai shalom.
Funz- small trampoline park 5 min away.
Bowling, mini golf..lots within a few minute drive
Do you have someone to show you the different areas? Introduce you to some people?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:04 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
I don't think anyone answered op questions about activities to do in the area when coming to visit waterbury...
Depends on ages of your kids/ weather..
There's a really nice park- Fulton park with playground etc right near bnai shalom.
Funz- small trampoline park 5 min away.
Bowling, mini golf..lots within a few minute drive
Do you have someone to show you the different areas? Introduce you to some people?

Right and if you want to make a day of it for the kids too, there's a lot of options a small drive away from Waterbury like fruit picking, various parks with natural trails, amusement parks like Quassy and Lake Compounce, Naugatuck RR scenic ride. I haven't been there or tried, but there's also a kosher chalav stam chocolate factory here that gives chocolate making experiences on some days in the summer.

Recommend hooking up with a realtor while you're here who can tell you more. If you're gonna be seriously interested, YKW has people schedule a visit to the school before interviewing. So email and see if you can do that. School will be closed, but they can talk to you about it and you can get that out of the way.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:22 am
Question.. we may be moving to Cleveland for my husband's job. I was excited but now I'm concerned. We are looking at Cleveland Heights. But we're Chabad, not yeshivish. I'm gonna wear what length wig I want. That's what I'm used to and I won't change. Do people really care about that? Even aside from that, will people in the area be friends with me? I don't want to move my kids somewhere they will be shunned because they're Chabad.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:26 am
Chabad amother, you will be more comfortable in UH

There are very very few young chabad families in CH, and you won't have a chevra

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:30 am
Ok thank you.. can you elaborate? The house I'm speaking with is in CH. I'm very picky and want a big nice house, there's not so much of those in UH that is within short distance to Chabad of CH. Nothing that I can see right now. Will pay up to 2500/month if you know of anything.

Also I'm from a place where people mingle so I'm not used to people sticking to their own. Is that the way it is in this area? Any Cleveland ladies want to be friends a newcomer? Lol. I have a job opportunity in Columbus. Maybe we'll go with that. It's more expensive though. Housing anyway.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:32 am
Houses are not2500 a month! Rent is way under2000/ mo in CH.

Are you looking at a house close to tzemach tzedek(not in regular frum neighborhood other side if taylor)?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:34 am
Are you specifically looking to go.to the chabad of CH? There's also a big one in UH. Also, I've met people who are chabad who live in Beechwood. That can be option for you too

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:34 am
hchabad in UH (really beachwood)- the one modeled after770 had much bigger houses near it because of Beachwood and shaker heights. I don't know if they are available.

Chabad in CH are mostly older couples in their 60s+

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:36 am
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
Houses are not2500 a month! Rent is way under2000/ mo in CH.

Are you looking at a house close to tzemach tzedek(not in regular frum neighborhood other side if taylor)?

Yeah my husband does want to go there. Yes it is the other side of Taylor.

The houses I'm speaking to are aound 2000 to 2500 because I'm specifically looking for 4 bedroom with multiple bonus rooms. And fully renovated. I'm coming from a state with huge cheap houses (think Texas) so I'm used to having tons of rooms.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:38 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
Are you specifically looking to go.to the chabad of CH? There's also a big one in UH. Also, I've met people who are chabad who live in Beechwood. That can be option for you too

Thanks for letting me know! I will check that out. Do you know about how much rentals are in that area?

Not specifically, especially if there's few kids, but at first glance the houses looked cheaper and is closer to his workplace (Case Western).

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:50 am
Right now I'm just trying to find a rental I can tolerate in an area with a few shul options while we figure things out, like where we would like to settle, buy, etc.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:48 am
I got curious from all the Waterbury conversation here and went searching online - the houses for sale seem so cheap!

Is this area considered that much out of town that the prices drop that much compared to NYC? Given that there's a large Jewish community there, I hadn't realized cheap housing was possible.

Or am I missing something, like certain areas are more run down, or that any cheap houses need serious work?

It seems like houses there are about half the price of the Jewish areas in NYC What

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 5:23 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Question.. we may be moving to Cleveland for my husband's job. I was excited but now I'm concerned. We are looking at Cleveland Heights. But we're Chabad, not yeshivish. I'm gonna wear what length wig I want. That's what I'm used to and I won't change. Do people really care about that? Even aside from that, will people in the area be friends with me? I don't want to move my kids somewhere they will be shunned because they're Chabad.

From a fellow Clevelander and very connected to the Chabad community:
I highly highly recommend you come here before you make that decision. There are very very few young Chabad families in that shul. The area you are looking to rent your home has very few frum families. You will automatically be insider by moving so far from the area where frum people live. And even more so being Chabad. Moving to University heights or Beachwood is not that far from case. Many many people work and go to school in university circle.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 7:57 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
I got curious from all the Waterbury conversation here and went searching online - the houses for sale seem so cheap!

Is this area considered that much out of town that the prices drop that much compared to NYC? Given that there's a large Jewish community there, I hadn't realized cheap housing was possible.

Or am I missing something, like certain areas are more run down, or that any cheap houses need serious work?

It seems like houses there are about half the price of the Jewish areas in NYC What

You need to make sure you are looking at the right block/ frum area

But yes houses here are very cheap. Many are old, some need work, but even brand new construction ( blue ridge) is way cheaper than ny

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 8:29 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
From a fellow Clevelander and very connected to the Chabad community:
I highly highly recommend you come here before you make that decision. There are very very few young Chabad families in that shul. The area you are looking to rent your home has very few frum families. You will automatically be insider by moving so far from the area where frum people live. And even more so being Chabad. Moving to University heights or Beachwood is not that far from case. Many many people work and go to school in university circle.

I think she meant outsider.

There are a few newly married chabad couples that live across Taylor, and I once saw a chabad guy watching kids outside.
It's much more of the hood (not Jewish) on the other side of Taylor.

You well be chutz lamachaneh from CH community because
A) you are out of the frum area
B) you're chabad, a minority in Ch

Only move there if you are happy sticking with a couple younger chabad couples and no one else.. Besides for the older couples

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 8:36 am
I think chabad in UH is more vibrant.
Come and check them out

And because the neighborhood is more diverse, you will be fine there

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 8:52 am
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
I think she meant outsider.

There are a few newly married chabad couples that live across Taylor, and I once saw a chabad guy watching kids outside.
It's much more of the hood (not Jewish) on the other side of Taylor.

You well be chutz lamachaneh from CH community because
A) you are out of the frum area
B) you're chabad, a minority in Ch

Only move there if you are happy sticking with a couple younger chabad couples and no one else.. Besides for the older couples

Yes I meant outsider!
I agree with you about being chutz lamachane. Of the few young families that were living there, two just recently moved away. So at this point There’s really almost no one left there.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating