Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Planning for a tough Winter

JLi

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:52 am
Good morning ladies

I live in Europe, and honestly I'm a bit nervous about coming winter.
The war between Ukraine and Russia is not finishing any time soon.
And the supply of gas for heating and production for electricity, plus general fòd chain across Europe are being jeopoardized.

I've got tow options in front of me
Option 1:
Put my head in the ground and pretend all will be just fine
Option 2:
Prep one week's woth of food at home.
Just in case we would have Ch'V a Blackout and things get crazy

I know I'll try to change money so I have a few of each coin/bill ready on hand in case electronic payment system will be blocked, and you'd need exact cash in other to buy stuff.
That's not to hard.

But food, for a frum family of adults, teenagers to preschoolers... 😶

I'm hoping that the wonderful imamother community could help me out.

Of course, cereal and UP milk are already on my list.

By no means, do I want to scare anybody.
I would also appreciate if we could leave all politics aside and just focus on doing the Hishtadlus.

"Eizeh Hu HaChochom? HaRoieh Es HaNoilad"

Thank you very much in advance

rachelli66

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:07 am
OP, I am already nervous about just thinking what I can say to be M'chazeik you. I guess if you are in the thick of things, the war, you can't prepare too much in advance. I would try to stock up and food that won't spoil to have on hand. ( Jams, canned goods, tuna, cereals.). May we only share good times together. Hug

byisrael

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:21 am
I think that the issues are more likely to manifest in higher bills for necessities then in actual inability to access gas, electric, or food.

But Hishtadlus that I can think of if you are concerned.

I think investing in a wood burning stove + stockpiling some wood could be a good precaution. If you have the funds there are models that can connect to your central heating/ hot water boiler so you ca hat some hot water for bathing even with no energy - if you invest in those it will probably help if the energy prices skyrocket as I expect.
Even a lot of the cheaper models can be used to boil a pot of water to add to a bath, slow- cook a warm meal in a pot.....
If you have a fireplace - then a nice wood supply and invest in camping tools that allow you to took/warm water on an open fire (this was the make or break in Texas where people where stuck with no electric + freezing weather)

For food:
You can can meals things like chicken stock with lots of chicken - so that you can add dry goods ( beans, rice, pasta) and veggies and have a nourishing meal.
Instant soups, dry goods, canned items are all things you can stockpile.
You can google prepper pantries for more ideas....

Store some jerrycans of gas to fuel you car if necessary.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:25 am
This is no comparison
But where I live we get hurricanes
We stick on canned goods - don’t forget the can opener, crackers, peanut butter, jelly, tuna, shelf stable amazing meals, instant soups, instant mash potato, instant quick cook rice, couscous, oatmeal coffee, tea
If you don’t think you’ll lose electricity I would stock the freezer.
If you think you’ll lose electric have only 2 days worth of frozen meals and get steno and racks like they use at the caterers to heat/cook in case they shut off the gas.
If you lose electricity you’ll need
Cash
Car full with gas
Batteries
Battery operated radio
Flash lights
Bottled water

Not sure what else
For longer than 1 week and if you have access to cook rice, beans, pasta last a long time, but needs cooking

byisrael

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:29 am
This has good ideas
https://www.realsimple.com/foo.....foods

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:50 am
1. Emergency suitcase:

ID cards, drivers licenses, passports
Medical documents and scans
Medication — months supply
Emergency contacts
Cash
Valuables
Phones and chargers
Laptops and fully charged powerbanks
Bottled water
Water disinfection agents
Nonperishable food
Wet wipes
Hand sanitizer
Lighter/matches
Socks and underwear
Warm clothes
Comfortable shoes

Obviously some of these things you can pack in advance and some will be on your list.

2. At home:

At least 40 liters of bottled water
Buckwheat, lentils, oatmeal, rice, beans
Bouillon cubes
Sugar, chocolate
Canned fish. Someone I know has a closet of tinned salmon.
Apple juice
Ice
Kerosene lamp and kerosene
A supply of tap water
Hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol
Extension cord, surge protector
Infrared heater

zoom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 9:31 am
JLi wrote:
Good morning ladies

I live in Europe, and honestly I'm a bit nervous about coming winter.
The war between Ukraine and Russia is not finishing any time soon.
And the supply of gas for heating and production for electricity, plus general fòd chain across Europe are being jeopoardized.

I've got tow options in front of me
Option 1:
Put my head in the ground and pretend all will be just fine
Option 2:
Prep one week's woth of food at home.
Just in case we would have Ch'V a Blackout and things get crazy

I know I'll try to change money so I have a few of each coin/bill ready on hand in case electronic payment system will be blocked, and you'd need exact cash in other to buy stuff.
That's not to hard.

But food, for a frum family of adults, teenagers to preschoolers... 😶

I'm hoping that the wonderful imamother community could help me out.

Of course, cereal and UP milk are already on my list.

By no means, do I want to scare anybody.
I would also appreciate if we could leave all politics aside and just focus on doing the Hishtadlus.

"Eizeh Hu HaChochom? HaRoieh Es HaNoilad"

Thank you very much in advance

Oy sounds scary but I totally get you op.

I thought we were over this a long time ago with covid and since the war started...
I remember the day we saw those pictures of the tanks rolling in and we couldnt quite believe it...

Are you in a country close to russia?

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 10:20 am
We are keeping them at bay and protecting the rest of Europe.

JLi

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 11:57 am
As Sequia mentioned, B'H we live very safely thanks to the Ukrainians keeping the Russian army out of Europe.

But, I don't think our goverment is actually capable of performing economic miracles...

The country I live in isn't self reliant, not for food, not for gaz and not for electricity.

Even though, it's been working for years on being self-reliant with green electricity, this summer was so dry, they hardly managed to produce any water energy/electricity.

So, as I said previously, I don't really believe in blackouts, freezing apartments and mayhem in the streets.

But, neither did I believe in living through lockdown, and I'm sure Sequia never believed the Russian wrecking such damage through her country, yet here we are....

byisrael

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:30 pm
There are scheduled blackouts predicted across Europe, although I am skeptical. I think energy/ food becoming unaffordable/ economic collapse more likely, which can easily devolve into chaos in countries that have less stability in the first place (not likely in Germany, more likely in the UK with the government in crisis)

I liked Sequoia's list:
Just some thoughts after Ukraine - pack individually in backpacks rather then suitcases, many people in Ukraine needed to leave large cases behind. I don't think you need to have bug out bags prepared, but stocking the home with the stuff makes sense.

I wouldn't be comfortable with Kerosene lamp I would go with hand powered flash lights and candles and lanterns.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-.....light
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NUPTI.....1ZQ==
If you have the ability to purchase and back up generator + fuel, I would go that way.

Think of what lack of energy/blackout means in the winter - and think of ways to adress.
Things I can think of:
Heat
Frozen pipes/ lack of water
ability to cook
ability to bathe/ heat and acess water
lights
electronics

How much are you willing to invest financially in prepping.
Obviously you aren't going full independent prepper style with the full wood stove and stockpile, generator and gas, water collection tanks, solor panels and batteries, wind charging for no sunny days, 1 year stockpile of food, goats and chickens, guns, and gold bars in a safe Wink Wink

And you aren't n the other end of the spectrum digging your head in the sand.

You need to figure out what feel balanced for your level of emunah.

GLUE

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 1:37 am
What is you country\regions emergency plan for rolling blackouts?
What is the plan on helping their citizens cope with limited heat,electricity,water, ect..

I am surprised nobody mentioned clothing if your heat goes out in middle of the winter it will most likely get cold.
Stock up now on under clothes and sweaters. Not everything is made equal look for the clothes that will keep you warmer and is made better.

Would you be comfortable with propane?
I remember after Hurricane Sandy people were driving to Ohio to get propane heaters some of them not only gave heat but also had a small place to cook a little bit.
Is that an option in your country?

JLi

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 9:38 am
I made myself a list of all the the wonderful ideas that you wrote.

I'll add a few items every week to my shopping list and hopefully get to stockpile, without breaking the bank.
Thank you very much to all of you!

I live in an apartment, and it's 2022.
I don't have wooden oven, or an option for propane gas or kerosene lamp. Nor do we own a BBQ, for outdoor grilling.

From a realistic point of view, I'll try to get hold of thermal underwear and candles.

Now, back to food.
It's hard to find canned beans w/ a Hechsher.

I'm trying to seperate the food into 5 categories
1) Breakfast - Cereal and UP Milk
2) Lunch -
3) Supper -
4) Snacks - Crackers/Pretzel, Nuts, Chocolate
5) Shabbos - Matzos, Grape Juice, Jar of Gefillte Fish, Dried Beans/Barley

I'm worried of overbuying some random stuff that we would never eat and have to throw out eventually, when they get infested by some random bugs.

Could you help me put together a family friendly meal plan with the food that have a long shelf live?
I.e. pasta w/ canned Marinara Sauce , but what about my protein ?

GLUE

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 11:57 am
Can you get canned fish?
Shelf stable cheese?
I heard in Europe you don't put eggs in the fridge, can that be an option?

Think about what you eat on a regular basis and think if you can sub. some of the ingredients that are shelf stable.

Miri1

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 12:42 pm
Honey lasts and lasts.
Also, as long as they haven't been washed, eggs don't need to be in the fridge (In the US they are washed before being packaged, so they must be be kept in the fridge).

Miri1

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 12:46 pm
Buy few Pop Chargers.
They're pre charged emergency chargers - I keep one in my bag and have a few more at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Cha.....r=8-3
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics