Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Help with my fig tree

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:10 pm
I have a fig tree in my yard and I'm not sure how to take care of it.

The figs are now ripening and many are falling on the ground and getting yucky and maybe attracting buts and stuff. Am I supposed to cut off all the ones that are ripe?

Anything else I need to know regarding fig trees? Do I need to tie it?

gamanit

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:23 pm
Figs are delicious! As they ripen you can pick them, rinse them, check them, and enjoy! If you don't want to eat them you can pick them and throw them out. Birds often pick at the figs which is both fascinating to watch but also a bit gross to see the half-eaten figs. Fig trees are generally very easy to maintain. Nothing special needed.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:29 pm
I'm not sure how easy they are to maintain. A neighbor of mine has a fig tree and since it's a fruit tree which they can't cut down it has taken over almost their entire yard. Not fun at all.

gamanit

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:34 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I'm not sure how easy they are to maintain. A neighbor of mine has a fig tree and since it's a fruit tree which they can't cut down it has taken over almost their entire yard. Not fun at all.

Sounds like they want to get rid of it which isn't maintenance at all, but rather the opposite. If they don't want it in their yard anymore, they can ask their Rav if transplanting the tree elsewhere is an option. You do have to have another place to bring it but while costly it generally is acceptable.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:35 pm
They're pretty easy to maintain. I don't recommend direct planting them because it's a permanent commitment, but they're really beautiful. (They do really well in pots.) Once you have one in the yard, you should enjoy it. You can prune them to keep the size manageable and encourage fruiting, but do your research (botanical and halachic) regarding how to prune without harming the tree.

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:36 pm
I would so gladly take their fig tree!!
I believe it needs to be wrapped for the winter.

I thought they were a lot of work. That is why I don’t have one.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:37 pm
Are you in Israel?

gamanit

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:39 pm
amother Peony wrote:
I would so gladly take their fig tree!!
I believe it needs to be wrapped for the winter.

I thought they were a lot of work. That is why I don’t have one.

Wrapping increases the odds of survival for a rough winter but most trees are just fine without being wrapped. Even if the branches do die, the roots grow new ones.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:39 pm
Whether it needs to be wrapped for the winter (or moved indoors if potted) depends on the variety, the surroundings, and of course the harshness of the winter. They do better when protected, but it's not always necessary. The tree stays prettier when it suffers zero cold damage.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 4:50 pm
gamanit wrote:
Figs are delicious! As they ripen you can pick them, rinse them, check them, and enjoy! If you don't want to eat them you can pick them and throw them out. Birds often pick at the figs which is both fascinating to watch but also a bit gross to see the half-eaten figs. Fig trees are generally very easy to maintain. Nothing special needed.

thanks so much! I've tasted one it tastes great! (maybe a little too sweet)

A neighbor that has one told me that she ties hers otherwise it can grow too wide?

eta- is that what you mean by wrapping? she just ties it with a string I think

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 4:52 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
They're pretty easy to maintain. I don't recommend direct planting them because it's a permanent commitment, but they're really beautiful. (They do really well in pots.) Once you have one in the yard, you should enjoy it. You can prune them to keep the size manageable and encourage fruiting, but do your research (botanical and halachic) regarding how to prune without harming the tree.

I didn't plant it. It was here in my yard when I got here. That's why I'm pretty clueless trying to learn what needs to be done.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 4:52 pm
also how are you supposed to check figs?

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
also how are you supposed to check figs?

Cut in half from top to bottom then flip inside out and look thru the fruit for anything moving/worm like

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn't plant it. It was here in my yard when I got here. That's why I'm pretty clueless trying to learn what needs to be done.

Was someone taking care of it before? Some fig trees thrive on neglect.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening