Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Child Doesn't Want Friends

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 10:39 am
10 year old DS has super mild autism and is an introvert. He seems happy and content but has zero interest in peers. His only interest is reading. Dislikes sports and other things his peers are into. He spends his recess wandering around the schoolyard alone talking to himself and has no friends. Has zero interest in getting together with classmates on Shabbos or after school. Been in social skills groups for years and outgrew them at this point.

Should I be concerned? He's happy and content but a real loner. He has self confidence and there are no bullying concerns. Would you do anything or just leave him be?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:51 pm
What do you all think? Just leave him be or push him to hang out with peers?

ila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:54 pm
Sorry don’t have experience with this but only to let you know I imagine it’s hard for you and bh you should find the best decision easily

chouli

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 3:15 pm
I have a son in a similar situation. You can't push him to behave more like other boys his age. If you want him to spend more time with his peers maybe invite another family over for shabbes with kids his age? You said that he's happy and that is the most important thing

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 5:08 pm
I have a similar kid, if child is happy and content, let him be!

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 5:13 pm
A child like this may be more comfortable in a club/group that meets to do something with a topic of interest--but it has to be something he's interested in.

Also, some children like this may be more than happy to want to do chessed visiting the sick/seniors, etc. because they are not tied to as rigid social models.

My son is mildly on the spectrum and actually does really well with one of the more challenging children (who is further into the spectrum) at the local Friendship Circle group. And he really enjoys it too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)