Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Yabtzuk, Yapzik, Yabchik, Yaptzik???

shlishka

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 12:54 am
I don't know what it's called, but I make it sometimes for Yom Tov and my kids LOVE it.

It's a Potato Kugel recipe poured into the crockpot with layers of flanken and left for at least 1 1/2 days.

My question is - I'm hesitant to leave a crockpot on for the two days of Shavous, in addition to an oven and flame. Does anyone know how to make this in the oven? What temp? Covered, uncovered?
TIA

sbs

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 1:22 am
I always make it in a pan that's smaller than a 9x13 but much deeper. I bake it for 1 hr. covered, then 1/2 hr. or a little more uncovered.
then, b4 shabbos, I wrap it very tightly, two layers of aluminum foil and put in the oven on 200 overnight until I serve it the next day

I started making this every shabbos instead of cholent

dora

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 9:32 am
I make this often in the deep large round pan. I bake it for 1 1/2 hours then keep it in the oven (winter) or on the hot plate (summer) until shabbos lunch. I use neck meat intead of flanken.

DF79

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:58 pm
this sounds great! can I have the recipe?

sbs

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:33 pm
it's basically a regular recipe of potato kugel but I put half in the pan then put strips of boneless flanken or boneless spare ribs, then pour the rest on top and bake.
I usually cut the meat into pieces b4 putting it in, so it cuts easily into pieces once it's baked.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:59 pm
My mother makes this, but she calls it yaptza. It's especially good on Pesach when we can't eat regular chulent. My mil makes something similar, but she adds a layer of sweet potato slices.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 8:07 pm
Now I just need a potato kugel recipe that's wworth all the work!

Cdlf

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:19 pm
Doesn't anybody else put their crockpots on a shabbos timer in the summer?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:02 pm
do u make a regular mixture of potatoes, eggs, and spices for the yaptzik, or do u just use grated potatoes?
I want to make this instead of chulent this week.

sbs

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 8:38 pm
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
do u make a regular mixture of potatoes, eggs, and spices for the yaptzik, or do u just use grated potatoes?
I want to make this instead of chulent this week.

I do a regular potato kugel recipe and just pour in half the batter, put in chunks of meat, and then the rest of the batter.
btw, if the meat is big pieces I cut it when it's raw, it's much easier to serve, otherwise all the meat comes out in one big chunk.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:17 pm
thanks so much!

dillie

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:21 pm
I just want to add that I always brown the meat well before I add it as the middle layer- if I don't, there's a lot of reddish juice that is not that appetizing, even though it's all cooked.
Good luck- it's delish.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:23 pm
does anyone do this with fried onions? and if yes, do u put it in the potato mixture?

sbs

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:23 pm
dillie wrote:
I just want to add that I always brown the meat well before I add it as the middle layer- if I don't, there's a lot of reddish juice that is not that appetizing, even though it's all cooked.
Good luck- it's delish.

never did that and I haven't noticed anything unappetizing, maybe it depends on the cut of meat.
I use either flanken or boneless spare ribs.

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:29 pm
yum. I want to ask dh if he minds skipping the cholent and having this instead!

3Qts

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:36 pm
If I use a crockpot do I bake/cook it first? Or I just put everything in the crockpot?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:38 pm
I am using a crock pot and just throwing the raw things inside in layers, and letting it cook the whole day...

shlishka

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 2:36 am
I spray the crock-pot with Pam first, and find that it helps.
It's on the request list for Yom Tov again.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 9:08 pm
I would like to make this for a bris on acharon shel Pesach. Obviously I need to start it (grating potatoes, etc.) before yom tov.

Someone told me that I should make it, cook an hour or two then freeze it, then put it frozen into a 250 degree oven at the zman Wednesday night and it would be good for lunch on Thursday.

I'd think it'd be better just to refrigerate it, then maybe put it into a 200 degree oven at the zman Wednesday night.

What do you think? Anyone done if for a 2nd day yom tov lunch meal? If so, how do you handle it? Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes