Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Locks of Love

IndyMom

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 10:41 pm
Has anyone donated their son's upsherin hair to Locks of Love? Is there a similar jewish organization? My son has beautiful long blond hair and it would be lovely to do something meaningful with it. Any ideas?

Tefila

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 10:42 pm
Make a sheital 8)

hisorerus

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 2:21 am
My brother did, but I don't think his hair was long enough to actually make a difference.

You have to cut off a large ponytail at once, and 2" - 4" is used in processing, so it needs to be pretty long. You can't just provide the snippets.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 2:37 am
My son;s hair is so short at 2.5 that people think he has already had an upsherin. I hope we will have hair to cut.

princessmommy

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 4:28 am
Hi I.M.,
My SIL cut all her hair off after she got married and donated it to an organization in Israel.Want me to ask her? It does have to be a certain length though.

IndyMom

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 8:37 am
My son's hair is really long. Locks of Love requires ten inches and I think it will be by the time we cut it.

Princessmommy, yes - ask your SIL where she donated in Israel. I'd rather give his hair to jewish children who need it.

Thanks

princessmommy

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 3:24 pm
google "zichron Menachem".

chen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 8:13 pm
My dtr. donated her ponytail as did many of her classmates. it has to be in the neighborhood of 10-13" long at least and must be in a single ponytail, braided or not. you cannot send them a pile of snippets of hair of the sort you end up with at an upshern. they have a website that gives details of what and how to send.

Chanie

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 9:58 am
You can do the upsherninsh in a pony. My sister had everyone cut the hair right above the pony, so all the hair stayed together but each person took a snip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics