Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where do you live and why did you choose it
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 7:08 pm
We’re looking to move and wondering how other families settled in the place they’re at. We’re a young family and can start fresh anywhere. We’re in NY and don’t love the weather here.

Would love to hear how others chose their location and why.

Thanks

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
We’re looking to move and wondering how other families settled in the place they’re at. We’re a young family and can start fresh anywhere. We’re in NY and don’t love the weather here.

Would love to hear how others chose their location and why.

Thanks

Lived in Brooklyn all my life, recently moved to Jackson area
Best thing! So much more space, huge newer house for less than half I’d pay in Bklyn for a very old one, huge lawn and yard, much quieter, no more parking issues, can’t say enough

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:05 pm
queens. moved here to be close to my school. thats it.
dont have friends or family here and dont see us settling here.
not sure wherre we are going to end up

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:28 am
LOL OP said she doesn't look brooklyn weather. So Jackson/lwd and Queens weather isn't any better.

If you want warmer the options are Miami, L.A., Dallas/Houston, Atlanta

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:56 am
LA

We lived in NJ for about 10 years before. It’s a really nice, warm community but also very expensive. I got major sticker shock when I moved here.

It was always hard for me to live with no family close by. We had a few emergencies and times we felt “stuck” without having family around. There’s only so much you could ask of a friend.
I was also sad that my kids were growing up without having family around. They barely knew their cousins and grandparents. Family was a big reason we moved.

We also moved for my husband’s job and, of course, the weather.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:28 am
Israel
Because its a mitzva to live here.
BH my husband has the necessary skills to make a nice living here, so we have no excuse to be in chutz laretz, I know not everyone is so fortunate.
Is also a beautiful country that belongs to us.

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 3:22 am
Itamar, Israel

I started off in Israel because it is a mitsvah, and also because it feels like home and family.

I moved to Itamar because it suited our lifestyle needs at the time.

I stayed because I found a lot of purpose here. There's a lot of ways I can help in the community, and that satisfies me.

dinglehopper

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 3:55 am
Israel! Best life and weather. And the best time to come is when you are young.

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:52 am
Small city in southern Israel. Weather is still a high of mid-60s to 70s, and we love the community and lifestyle. Feels suburban- everyone's very nice, laid-back, but we still have conveniences like multiple supermarkets nearby and a few malls.

Reality

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:42 am
dinglehopper wrote:
Israel! Best life and weather. And the best time to come is when you are young.

The best time to come is whenever you can!

We live in RBS and love it. Great community with every olim service possible, great mix of people, from DL to Chareidi and the weather is great!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:44 am
Family and parnossah

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:45 am
A Yishuv in Gush Etzion. I chose Israel because I couldnt picture living anywhere else. We chose the Gush as it was close to work and it was the right hashkafic mix that we were looking for.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:44 am
Israel!
I always felt like I needed to live here. Was always drawn to the Land. Couldn't resolve the conflict of the Jews having control of our homeland and me not living here.

English3

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:46 am
I live next to my parents and they are my biggest support bh

dinglehopper

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:57 am
Reality wrote:
The best time to come is whenever you can!

We live in RBS and love it. Great community with every olim service possible, great mix of people, from DL to Chareidi and the weather is great!

Of course! But she is young and looking to move so this is the time when it's easiest.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:03 am
amother Papaya wrote:
queens. moved here to be close to my school. thats it.
dont have friends or family here and dont see us settling here.
not sure wherre we are going to end up

I could have written this. Moved to Queens for school and also friendless here.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:38 am
I moved to Israel for ideological/religious reasons.

Then I got married and we settled in Jerusalem. My husband really wanted to be in Jerusalem because he grew up here, most family was here (though most siblings have moved elsewhere, but all parents stayed), and I had just finished school here (though he was commuting outside the city).

We picked a neighborhood based on the religious community there and being close to the city entrance for my husband's commute.

We stayed in the neighborhood we are in largely for convenience, as well as the religious level being a good fit, and importantly the school being the kind of school we were looking for, and because both of our parents were in Jerusalem.

Convenience was a major factor - close to the city entrance for my husband's commute, close my work inside the city, multiple schools we liked within walking distance, shopping and other amenities within walking distance and a 24 hour market in the neighborhood, on major transportation routes for easy access to the rest of the city by bus and light rail, etc.

There isn't much of a community where we live unfortunately, and I do feel that missing. We also live in an apartment, no yard, loud neighbors, etc, I do miss the quiet and a yard (though I am happier in an apartment vs a big house). But we decided to choose convenience over these other factors and it has made my life so much easier.

goldy 1

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 8:27 am
I"m looking to move to Monsey
Chasidish community living my own life style without being categorized?
Am I doing the right move?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 8:57 am
Cleveland. I grew up here. I always loved it. I married another OOTer and we didn't want to live in his city. So here we are.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:52 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I could have written this. Moved to Queens for school and also friendless here.

we should connect!
were not part of CC crowd and were not bucharian so we dont really fit in with the community...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating