Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where do you live and why did you choose it
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 3:09 pm
Chicago. I grew up here. My family is here. I like being in the Midwest. Its a good size community. Not too big and not too small. Lots of choices of shuls. schools. Also I have very challenging children and they are well served in the yeshiva system. If we lived anywhere else they would be in public school most likely. Also, at this point, I am getting older and so is my father and I am his only child in town so I wont move for that reason alone.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 3:37 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
we should connect!
were not part of CC crowd and were not bucharian so we dont really fit in with the community...

Yes!!! How can we arrange that?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 3:57 pm
Op, is weather your only factor to move??

What sort of community are you looking for?
Shops, shuls, rabbonim, education etc?

You will get a billion different answers from a billion different people.

Maybe express more what youre looking for?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:21 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Yes!!! How can we arrange that?

I dont want to post my screen name hmm. maybe we can message someone not on anon and she can exchange our usernames?

scruffy

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:23 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
I dont want to post my screen name hmm. maybe we can message someone not on anon and she can exchange our usernames?

You can message me, I'll be happy to do it.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:48 pm
amother Beige wrote:
LOL OP said she doesn't look brooklyn weather. So Jackson/lwd and Queens weather isn't any better.

If you want warmer the options are Miami, L.A., Dallas/Houston, Atlanta

I moved from New York to Lakewood and I do think the weather here is better. Warmer in the winter, and the summers are hot, just like New York but a lot of houses here are newer and have central air and/or pools.

I think most other frum communities do not have as nice weather as lakewood. They're either freezing or hot and very humid. I think New York and Lakewood actually have a better climate than most other frum cities.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:34 pm
Monsey area. I grew up here and have tons of family here so makes sense. Love it bh!

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:56 pm
amother Beige wrote:
LOL OP said she doesn't look brooklyn weather. So Jackson/lwd and Queens weather isn't any better.

If you want warmer the options are Miami, L.A., Dallas/Houston, Atlanta

? They are just answering the question. Not suggesting she move to where they are.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:58 pm
Brooklyn. In a cooped up apt. But my kids get services here and only one of us drive..

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:24 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
I moved from New York to Lakewood and I do think the weather here is better. Warmer in the winter, and the summers are hot, just like New York but a lot of houses here are newer and have central air and/or pools.

I think most other frum communities do not have as nice weather as lakewood. They're either freezing or hot and very humid. I think New York and Lakewood actually have a better climate than most other frum cities.

All depends on your point of view. I’m from Detroit and live in Lakewood. Lakewood winters are so mild it’s laughable to me.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:29 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
All depends on your point of view. I’m from Detroit and live in Lakewood. Lakewood winters are so mild it’s laughable to me.

Exactly. I love it!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:29 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Small city in southern Israel. Weather is still a high of mid-60s to 70s, and we love the community and lifestyle. Feels suburban- everyone's very nice, laid-back, but we still have conveniences like multiple supermarkets nearby and a few malls.

Can I ask what city you’re in?

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:41 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Can I ask what city you’re in?

Sure! Dimona

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:31 pm
I wasn’t really looking for suggestions, more just curious how ppl ended up where they are. Like what happened to cause a specific move.

We want warmer climate so we’re thinking of going to Florida. But nothing is specifically pulling us. So just wondering what it is that pushes someone to move

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:50 pm
scruffy wrote:
You can message me, I'll be happy to do it.

Love this! Hope it works out! Keep us posted!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:58 pm
We live in Brooklyn, but I'm always jealous of those who made Aliyah and I often check the weather in Jerusalem and bet shemesh lol....
Let's just say that over the next 10 days, while Brooklyn will be in the 30s-40's, bet shemesh will have highs into the 70's!!! I'm seriously considering moving to Israel for this reason as I feel like bad weather really affects me negatively.... I know, I'm nuts!!!!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 8:32 pm
We are refugees from Los Angeles. The economy in LA is entertainment centered, and in our experience some of the glitter was spilling into the observant community. We escaped to Baltimore over 20 years ago seeking a more wholesome and less materialistic culture for our kids. The Baltimore Jewish community turned out to be an excellent choice for our family.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:05 pm
Wanted to move to an OOT American frum community
Narrowed it by realizing we needed a kollel and Moe than one option of school
Narrowed it down by realizing it needed affordable housing
Narrowed it down when we heard about Edchoice in Ohio

Moved to Cleveland.
Bli ayin hara happy here.
Cleveland is getting to big for itself, and schools are maxing (maxed??) Out

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:05 am
My parents live in Monsey so it was the natural choice to start out here. Then when we were looking to buy a house and hopefully settle somewhere, we needed something affordable and very much wanted a private house, so we bought in Airmont. I like that we have land, and a nice mix of neighbors, a variety of shuls nearby, and yet my kids aren't too far from their grandparents and cousins.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:08 am
I moved to Chicago because my husband liked the idea of moving out of town, and my family lived here, which at the time was a factor. Turned out to be a negative factor in the long run. Oh well.
BH Chicago is a nice city, has so many conveniences, with the OOT mindset. BH husband and kids are happy, and we bought our house before the markey jumped. Although my neighborhood is turning into lakwood LOL.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating