Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where do you live and why did you choose it
Previous  1  2  3

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:11 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
We live in Brooklyn, but I'm always jealous of those who made Aliyah and I often check the weather in Jerusalem and bet shemesh lol....
Let's just say that over the next 10 days, while Brooklyn will be in the 30s-40's, bet shemesh will have highs into the 70's!!! I'm seriously considering moving to Israel for this reason as I feel like bad weather really affects me negatively.... I know, I'm nuts!!!!

It affected me. I'm also a Brooklyn expat, and I used to just assume that winter meant depression. The dark and the cold would get to me, for 6 to 8 months out of the year!

When people here complain about cold winters, I giggle. There is no comparison! The weather really is nice most of the year. (August is a bit too hot for my tastes, but I've learned to adapt. It's still better than freezing dark.)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:23 am
I lived in Florida.
Personally would not suggest it.
It’s a hard place to raise children. The community has grown a lot in recent years so things may have changed. But the way it was when I was growing up was extremely segregated, not cohesive and not a community where people are looking to help others.
It’s funny to me how it’s become so popular in recent years.
Please do through research and ding move to a place just bec of the weather!
Good luck

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 1:38 am
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago. I grew up here. My family is here. I like being in the Midwest. Its a good size community. Not too big and not too small. Lots of choices of shuls. schools. Also I have very challenging children and they are well served in the yeshiva system. If we lived anywhere else they would be in public school most likely. Also, at this point, I am getting older and so is my father and I am his only child in town so I wont move for that reason alone.

Can you please explain more about how your kids are served well in their schools? I am looking for a school that won't "flip out" at any kid who doesn't neatly fit in the boxes they made. My kid doesn't have major issues but I found our school to be a little rigid...

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 1:42 am
Oh, and to answer OP- DH was in school when we got married so we obviously had to settle there. And stayed because of family, jobs...

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 2:16 am
I always think about this. I live in Brooklyn. Married 8 years. It was a default decision, our families live here.

Now I'm ready to get the h*ll out of this state. But move where?

The schools are good, don't love them but I've seen oot schools. Family is here. Dh has a physical business here(it can be relocated, it's a warehouse) and I work remotely.

But where...?? There's no compelling reason. No job excuse
No family excuse
Do we just pick up and move somewhere random?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:15 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
I lived in Florida.
Personally would not suggest it.
It’s a hard place to raise children. The community has grown a lot in recent years so things may have changed. But the way it was when I was growing up was extremely segregated, not cohesive and not a community where people are looking to help others.
It’s funny to me how it’s become so popular in recent years.
Please do through research and ding move to a place just bec of the weather!
Good luck

I grew up in Miami Beach and loved it! The area makes a big difference, I’m sure. I was part of the yeshiva community and it was a very connected, cohesive group.

There’s still people walking around half-dressed (like many warm places), but Miami Beach doesn’t have the billboards everywhere like LA does. The weather is nicer in LA though.

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:09 am
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago. I grew up here. My family is here. I like being in the Midwest. Its a good size community. Not too big and not too small. Lots of choices of shuls. schools. Also I have very challenging children and they are well served in the yeshiva system. If we lived anywhere else they would be in public school most likely. Also, at this point, I am getting older and so is my father and I am his only child in town so I wont move for that reason alone.

Can I pm you?

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:13 am
Sure

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:16 am
amother Linen wrote:
Can you please explain more about how your kids are served well in their schools? I am looking for a school that won't "flip out" at any kid who doesn't neatly fit in the boxes they made. My kid doesn't have major issues but I found our school to be a little rigid...

I have 3 boys. With girls its different. I think bais yaakov is more rigid on behavioral issues and some friends have had challenges with this. I don't know the other schools as well.

My oldest has some very unique needs. My second is more straightforward ADHD/Anxiety/reading issues. my third is only in pre1a too hard to tell.

I like how their yeshiva (YTT) does discipline which is major for an ADHD kid. They use a lot of collaborative problem solving. They are much less punitive. They try to get to the bottom of why a kid is acting up.

My 8 year old has been having a hard time this past month. When I get called to come get him, the principal for the younger grades will tell me I tried multiple times to reset him so he could go back to class but he is too dysregulated. They will really try to help him go back to class before calling me. When they do call me I know he is too far gone to benefit from being there. We did medicate him in 1st grade but no one ever pressured us. We just saw how much he was struggling.

There is also a ton of academic support between title one, a fully staffed resource room and a program called reach that offers special ed teachers for kids that have more intense needs that a resource room cant handle.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:03 pm
We moved to Florida from NY. My husband wanted an established community with a choice of shuls and schools, and I can no longer tolerate cold weather due to a medical condition so our options were limited. We're very happy here.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:44 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I could have written this. Moved to Queens for school and also friendless here.

This makes me so sad! I also live in Queens because my husband lived here single prior to us getting married and it’s closest to his job. I have some friends here and I also feel like it’s so transient and there is no sense of community. It makes me so sad that people could live somewhere for a long period of time and not had any community. I wish it was different.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating