Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Did you ever make a mistake in your lesson?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:43 pm
Did you ever teach something as fact, and then later realized that part of your lesson was incorrect, whether by a student pointing it out or with further research?
How did you approach it?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:46 pm
I told my 9th gr students that I made a mistake and called it shape specifity when it is actually called shape specificity. I didnt go to last year's students and tell them now lol.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:53 pm
Sure! It's really ok. You just go back and explain how you came about this new information. If it's from a student you make her feel like a million bucks! If it's from your own research you model how you are always searching to learn more. It's a great learning experience!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Did you ever teach something as fact, and then later realized that part of your lesson was incorrect, whether by a student pointing it out or with further research?
How did you approach it?

How to approach it? Own up and tell them you made a mistake.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:59 pm
It’s a bit embarrassing because several students asked me this question and I answered X. X wasn’t part of my lesson but it was a related question (In fact, in a later class I will be addressing X and would have probably realized my mistake then). Today one student told me her sister’s teacher said my answer for X is incorrect, so I looked it up and she was right! In fact, looking back I have no idea why I’d answered the way I did- lack of sleep? It’s so obvious that I’d answered wrongly but once I answered wrongly the first time, my brain switched and it became my go-to answer. Regarding last year’s students, I don’t think the question ever came up in this lesson so I don’t think I ever answered incorrectly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:01 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
How to approach it? Own up and tell them you made a mistake.

Of course, I’ll have to tell them I made a mistake. I don’t want them to be confused and misled. I’m just asking for anyone else’s experiences and how it went. I have a great relationship with my students B”H but the way this mistake went down, I hope they still trust me on this topic. Can't Believe It

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:07 pm
The more honest you are with them the more they will respect you specifically on this topic. Don’t try to cover up your bluff with excuses. Just humbly say, I said X and I was so relieved to be corrected that the answer is of course really Y because I would never want to teach you wrong or mislead you. Thank you so much to whoever brought it to my attention.
And then smoothly move on with your lesson.

Teachers who bluff and fib and put their own kavod before honesty, students see straight though it and have no respect for them.

As a teacher I’ve done this afew times and it have never gone down badly.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
The more honest you are with them the more they will respect you specifically on this topic. Don’t try to cover up your bluff with excuses. Just humbly say, I said X and I was so relieved to be corrected that the answer is of course really Y because I would never want to teach you wrong or mislead you. Thank you so much to whoever brought it to my attention.
And then smoothly move on with your lesson.

Teachers who bluff and fin and put their own kavod before honesty, students see straight though it and have no respect for them.

As a teacher I’ve done this afew times and it have never gone down badly.
Same. The students respect you more. They know that you won’t put your image before their learning.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 10:25 am
Thanks. I feel a little more confident about owning up today.

s1

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:51 am
Agree with phlox and lime
Good luck!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:09 pm
An upper elementary teacher insisted it was spelled febuary, instead of February and refused to correct the mark on the writing. That's when I learned that teachers aren't perfect. But my parents taught me a valuable lesson. They told me not to confront the teacher again with proof, even if my grade will be lower, because it would be more important not to embarrass the teacher.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:11 pm
My point is though that I lost respect for that teacher after that incident but if she would have owned up to her mistake I would have probably forgotten about it a day later.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:25 pm
I remember a lot of teachers that would come back and correct themselves. I really respected that, and it really impacted me.
Also, some teachers I had would write down questions that were asked and would come back with the answers.
Everyone knows teachers are human and no one blames them for making mistakes.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:30 pm
I'm a teacher.
I make mistakes all the time.
Well, not all the time, because if it was really all the time I shouldn't be teaching, but you know what I mean.
so if the problem is 107*5 and I write on the board 117*5 and a student corrects knee, I'm grateful!
And it's a teaching opportunity! See, teachers are human like all of us. I make mistakes and so well you! We're a class of humans, BH, not robots!!! (Yikes, hope no one will recognize me with that line!)
I get excited when the students make mistakes too. Yay, you're human!

dessara

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:48 pm
I still remember when my chumash teacher in high school came in one morning and said “Girls, I discussed what we were learning with my husband and I realized the way I explained the Rashi to you yesterday was wrong. Please cross out your notes from yesterday and we will start again.” I was blown away by how honest she was and what was most important to her was the clear, correct interpretation of the meforshim we were learning. I think this incident only made everyone respect her more. As opposed to another teacher of mine who when faced with a contradiction to how she was explaining rashi, fudged an answer that made no sense. It’s definitely embarrassing as a teacher to publicly admit a mistake but it happens to everyone, and if you take ownership and are honest with your students, they will respect you.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 1:07 pm
Now that there's so much reading material for kids, like the Circle, my students always know things! They come up with all sorts of interesting tidbits and the occasional correction Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics