Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Tutoring a group of 8 - how much should I charge?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 3:24 pm
Hi,
the school where I teach has asked me to tutor a group of 8/9 girls who are in 6th grade, who are struggling with their math. It would be out of school time, probably in my home. I have over 20 years experience teaching math. They have asked me to name my price. I need to charge per session because unsure how many sessions it will be. I will be setting homework, grading it, in other words, everything a regular class teacher does. The school will be paying for this tutoring, not the parents.
What would you charge?
I never tutor usually, so have no idea.
OOT big community school if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 3:43 pm
$100 a session. Maybe more.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 4:20 pm
Maybe 25-30 a session? I would think 100 is for private, 1-1. Edit. Misread. At least 100 if you're not doing individual payments.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 4:21 pm
$100-$150 per hour

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 4:24 pm
thanks all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:23 pm
just wondering if $100 is too much. I feel bad to charge so much... I don't know how much my usual salary comes out to per hour, but $100 sounds like a lot... is it right to charge a Torah institution that much?
any more thoughts?
how much do teachers usually get paid per period or per hour?
TIA. I really appreciate the responses

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:25 pm
I just want to say that sounds like a great school. Paying for their students’ tutoring??!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:28 pm
TravelHearter wrote:
I just want to say that sounds like a great school. Paying for their students’ tutoring??!

I think this is the class whose teacher wasn't too competent (new teacher), so the kids fell behind and the school is taking responsibility and they need these kids to catch up fast

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:33 pm
Unless the school sees you as a teacher and not a tutor. For some reason tutors are paid great, teachers not so much. Depending where you live, $25-$40

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:37 pm
How long is a session? Assuming an hour I think 100 is not too much... tutoring one person would usually be close to 100. 8 people is a lot more work.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:54 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
How long is a session? Assuming an hour I think 100 is not too much... tutoring one person would usually be close to 100. 8 people is a lot more work.

Sure it’s more work for the tutor but the kids are getting less individual attention. I would not pay $100 for my kid to be tutored with 7 other students

But if the fee is coming from the school then yes that makes sense. I was thinking $30 a student is fair to ask

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Sure it’s more work for the tutor but the kids are getting less individual attention. I would not pay $100 for my kid to be tutored with 7 other students

But if the fee is coming from the school then yes that makes sense. I was thinking $30 a student is fair to ask

That's the thing...you wouldn't be you would pay 12.50. (100÷8)
I wouldn't tutor 8 struggling kids for less then 100 an hour. I would actually expect more like 200 but maybe it's different OOT?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:07 pm
Don't think under 100 makes sense. Maybe even 200 would make sense...
How many times a week is it? Usually if it's not daily you can charge more especially that it's a short term thing. Also depends on location, different places have different rates.

What are your feelings about it? Are you viewing it as teaching a small class or like tutoring 8 kids? For how much is it worth it for you to do? You know your school, what's the most you think you can get for it?

mommyhood

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
just wondering if $100 is too much. I feel bad to charge so much... I don't know how much my usual salary comes out to per hour, but $100 sounds like a lot... is it right to charge a Torah institution that much?
any more thoughts?
how much do teachers usually get paid per period or per hour?
TIA. I really appreciate the responses

Tutoring one on one where I live can easily be $75 for 45 minutes so $100 an hour for a group sounds low. This isn’t a typical salary, you’re working after regular hours, there’s no commitment from them that this is going to continue long term and while many people accept a low salary from school they usually get benefits like tuition breaks which I assume are not happening here.
That being said, doing a chessed for your community school can be a beautiful thing. If that’s something you want to do by charging them less than what seems to be the going rate that’s a very valid choice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics