Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Ohio
1  2  Next

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:17 pm
Finally got health insurance approved, B"H. If I stay in Ohio, that's one less worry. It's not necessarily a reason to stay forever, but it's nice if I can make it work for a while. Plus, if I can get far enough away from Cleveland, there's something about being back in my home state that's comforting to me.

I know there are communities in Columbus and Cincinnati. Where else? Is there anything still going on in Akron/Canton? (those were small communities when I was growing up, not sure if there's anything left?) My stbx likes Cleveland Heights, so I was looking into the outskirts of Cleveland and surrounding areas like Solon, which has a great public school district, but I haven't found anything affordable (YIKES, Solon! What happened to your prices??).

Where else can I look?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:18 pm
Please no ragging on my continued search. South Bend is still the current plan. I just want it to be an EDUCATED plan. I want to know I looked everywhere else before locking in. Honestly, after thinking over everything everyone has said, I still look at the end decision as locking in, since it's not so easy to pick up and move, especially when a move would require your ex to move, too.

He's very into South Bend, but he would prefer Cleveland Heights if I can find something that works for me in/near Cleveland that's in a better school district. He would also consider other Ohio communities, or really most places in the US aside from NYC. I'm kind of on the same page, hate to say it. NYC might be great in theory, but I'm in a vulnerable place right now, and it's just not the life I know there.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:24 pm
I think a lot of your questions can be answered by googling "Jewish [name of city]". For example, I know nothing about Canton, OH., and I don't know if there is anyone on this site who knows Canton and if there is, if she will see your post. So I googled, and got https://www.jewishcanton.org/ and if you go there, you will get contacts of all the schools and shuls. Then you can reach out directly to the orthodox places and ask for what you need.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:27 pm
I'm a born and bred clevelander. I don't think there is much of anything in Akron or Canton. There might be a chabad family or 2 but that's it.

Solon also. I remember one family who used to live there but I don't think there is anyone else.

Also, I don't know how familiar you are with the CH-UH school district but I am quite acquainted and I wouldn't rule it out completely. There are always a handful of frum kids in public schools for one reason or another. They are moderately familiar with orthodox Judaism and at the very least tolerant of needs. I know you want out of cleveland - just wanted to share my thoughts on CHUH.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:28 pm
watergirl wrote:
I think a lot of your questions can be answered by googling "Jewish [name of city]". For example, I know nothing about Canton, OH., and I don't know if there is anyone on this site who knows Canton and if there is, if she will see your post. So I googled, and got https://www.jewishcanton.org/ and if you go there, you will get contacts of all the schools and shuls. Then you can reach out directly to the orthodox places and ask for what you need.

Rabbi AJ Kushner is the shabbos rabbi in Canton. He lives in CH. He would know a lot about Canton.

GLUE

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:36 pm
If I remember correctly,

The OU has people on staff that will help you find a community that will fit your needs. I don't know if they still do this. It was in one of the articles about their housing fair.

They were saying not only do they do a fair but, they also have advisers to help with placement.

I really don't know to much about this and what they really do. I have been fowling your threads and just remembered about this. Maybe make a phone call or e-mail to the OU and maybe there is someone who can be a big help.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:40 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
I'm a born and bred clevelander. I don't think there is much of anything in Akron or Canton. There might be a chabad family or 2 but that's it.

Solon also. I remember one family who used to live there but I don't think there is anyone else.

Also, I don't know how familiar you are with the CH-UH school district but I am quite acquainted and I wouldn't rule it out completely. There are always a handful of frum kids in public schools for one reason or another. They are moderately familiar with orthodox Judaism and at the very least tolerant of needs. I know you want out of cleveland - just wanted to share my thoughts on CHUH.

I also grew up here. I had a few kids in my class who commuted from Akron/Canton. Eventually one of them moved closer to the school. I know about the CH-UH school district. I'm probably not as well-versed as you are, but I have friends and family who have sent there, and most have tried (successfully) to move to Beachwood at some point. Heights High is not exactly a place for naive kids, I think most would agree. I had a friend who graduated from Heights High. It's a tough school (socially). Not sure what their special ed is like, but it's not an environment I want my kids in if I can help it.

Even in the lower grades, Gearity Elementary (UH) doesn't have what they need. We were strongly urged to stay in Beachwood if we're in Cleveland. I can't speak for all families or what their kids need.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:44 pm
I'm not well versed in public schools but I do live here as well... Is there any way you could live in UH but send your kids to beachwood schools?

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 1:45 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I also grew up here. I had a few kids in my class who commuted from Akron/Canton. Eventually one of them moved closer to the school. I know about the CH-UH school district. I'm probably not as well-versed as you are, but I have friends and family who have sent there, and most have tried (successfully) to move to Beachwood at some point. Heights High is not exactly a place for naive kids, I think most would agree. I had a friend who graduated from Heights High. It's a tough school (socially). Not sure what their special ed is like, but it's not an environment I want my kids in if I can help it.

Even in the lower grades, Gearity Elementary (UH) doesn't have what they need. We were strongly urged to stay in Beachwood if we're in Cleveland. I can't speak for all families or what their kids need.

This may have been discussed on a previous thread (sorry if I missed it) but is beachwood out of the question? I know that it’s more expensive than chuh but is your only concern with living there strictly financial?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
I'm not well versed in public schools but I do live here as well... Is there any way you could live in UH but send your kids to beachwood schools?

No.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
This may have been discussed on a previous thread (sorry if I missed it) but is beachwood out of the question? I know that it’s more expensive than chuh but is your only concern with living there strictly financial?

I so badly don't want to stay in Cleveland. I'm okay with Ohio, but I don't want to be in Cleveland if I can help it. It's not a healthy situation for me.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:04 pm
watergirl wrote:

Good point. Thanks.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:07 pm
How about Columbus?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

You have to live in the city to send your kids to that district. Beachwood is a more upper class city (with expensive housing and no small rentals in frum areas) and their district is very well funded and considered a good district.

Cleveland Heights and University Heights are 2 cities with 1 combined district. It is not considered a good school district and has a lot of lower class families attending the schools.

You can't attend unless you can prove residency.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:10 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about high school just yet (your kids are younger right? I could be wrong)

There are other elementary schools that are just as fine as Gearity (most frum people are most familiar with Gearity because it is right in middle of UH). I don't know what your kids needs are but I think they do a pretty good job if your kids are placed in a special ed room (self-contained). If they are in Gen ed rooms with sped pull out services, I can't say I would recommend.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:14 pm
What about south Euclid?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:24 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
What about south Euclid?

South Euclid is a similar district to CHUH with less familiarity with frum jews.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 2:28 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
South Euclid is a similar district to CHUH with less familiarity with frum jews.

My understanding is that it’s better services than chuh but you’re prob right re: Orthodox Jews

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:15 pm
Brooklyn is really the full PKG. I get that you and stbx are against it but you should reconsider. It's really the best and only place to raise a special needs child with minimal aggravation. Your kids can be in the top special ed. yeshiva and bais Yaakov with transportation and many extra as well. The support here is great

doctorima

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 3:59 pm
Akron actually does have a shul called Anshe Sfard that has minyan 3 times a day, so there must be some Orthodox Jews living there. I only saw the shul from the outside when DH went in to daven, but it looked quite grand. Check out: https://www.akronshul.com. I don't know about Jewish schools there though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating