Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Gifts for Teens
1  2  Next

RachelSteph

Post Sun, Nov 14 2004, 11:12 pm
Every year my husband and I get gifts for my cousins who celebrate Chanunkah and Chistmass. We didn't want the other christian holiday to over power the Jewish one thats why we do it. Last year we got them the Jewish book of why and another book of short stories of Jewish Laws and commandments. This year we don't want to spend to much, but we want to get them something that this Jewish related because they don't get enough of that. My husband and I don't want them to forget that they are Jewish. The oldest is 17 Josh, the middle is 15 Esther, and the youngest is 12 Jessy. so if anyone has some ideas for gifts that would be great. Oh and Josh doesn't like reading books unless there by Marvel comics.

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 14 2004, 11:20 pm
a Jewish video or game?

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 12:49 pm
Quote:
unless there by Marvel comics

What about Mendy and the Golem comics!
(truth be known they are not as frum as they used to be)
they may be up his alley though.... Smile

RachelSteph

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 12:54 pm
Ya I thought of that Motek but I don't know of any good one, and freilich I'll ask my husband about M and G. Thanks

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:00 pm
What about Agent Emes videos 1,2 & 3! Everyone I know and that is lots LOL Loves the adventures, professionaly done and makes the frum look appealing....
Twisted Evil no I hereby declare I am not related, or know the producer or have any contact to anyone in there in any shape or form. Twisted Evil
This is an honest assesment Exclamation

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:21 pm
freilich...I am related..the mom in the videos is my aunt...so watch what you say Wink Wink I havent seen them ...but I think they will be a good gift

Yael

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:32 pm
aren't those videos more for the 7-12 yr old age group?

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:33 pm
Quote:
.so watch what you say

'Oh boy, I am happy I did'nt say what I really wanted to say' Wink Wink ... only kidding. even I like watching it. Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:49 pm
frielich, I really wouldn't care...if you didnt like it...I was pulling your leg....my aunt was an actreess in ny onstage before she became frum...the whoel crew live in pittsburgh...I am sure miram knows everybody...anyways back to the gift ideas

It is a pity because there isnt much available kosher for teens..or maybe I dont know of any....maybe shlock rock or variations...or they will think it is pathetic cause they know the real songs..

Motek

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 2:03 pm
maybe the Entebbe video

Jewish Trivial Pursuit (I haven't checked it out to know if it's good, just know it exists)

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 2:07 pm
Jewish trivial pursuit--that is a good idea, we hhad it home growing up, but they may have a newer version.

RachelSteph

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 3:29 pm
I was just on this morning and a lot has happened since then, I a friend of my husband mentioned Agent Emes but I hadn't checked it out yet. I was looking at the Feldheim, Web site and saw the Adventures with Rebbe Mendel . Every year it's the same thing I go crazy over gifts for my family because they don't go to Jewish school, and they barely have any Jewish friends. The only Jewish experience they get is when we invite them for Shabbat or the holidays at my parent’s house. I'm just glad that the youngest ones like to read because I've seen some good Jewish books. The oldest is almost eligible for Birthright. The youngest is learning for his Bar Mitzvah. I'll look at the suggestions, what does everyone think of The Middos Series, Queen of Bais Yaakov (for Esther), Forever My Jerusalem or Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.
[/quote]

Yael

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 9:19 pm
there is a book called "just my style" its for teen girls I dont know if its geared to frum only or not frum.
I found it on judaica-world.com

Just My Style

A Tznius Reader for Teens

This groundbreaking new book uses real-life situations, thoughtful topics for discussion and heartwarming stories to inspire young teenage women to value their own inner beauty and impart to them a deep appreciation of Tznius.

Softcover 79 pp.

Publisher: Judaica Press

Author: Malka Touger

$8.50

RachelSteph

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 10:56 pm
You know I've been looking ant a lot of books and I didn't see that one it sounds very good, I think I'll check it out for my cousin Esther. I'd rather buy it from the Jewish book store in my city since my husband and I like the owners very much. While I was looking at the book I also found a book called Upsherinish A Milestone in a Child's Education by Eliyahu Touger. Since this summer will be my first Upsherin and my families I want to make it a special one So when I saw that book I was wondering if anyone has read it or heard of it. Anyways thanks for the idea.

RachelSteph

Post Tue, Nov 16 2004, 12:26 am
Has anyone read or heard of this book, Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
by Stephanie Wellen Levine # 265 pages. I found it on Amazon???

Nechama

Post Tue, Nov 16 2004, 1:50 am
yes, heard of it, read it.
It is a doctoral thesis, I believe.
I would not recommend it for non frum people (or frum people for that matter). I liked a great deal of it. And can go on about it more, but not now, and I don't know if anyone is interested.

If it is a gift for a teen girl, what about a Neshama Carlebach CD. (Empowering for young girls, jewish...@@)

RachelSteph

Post Tue, Nov 16 2004, 1:12 pm
well I thought I would read it first and then see if it was good for my cousin. I'm always interested in reading good books on Jewish subjects. I started three years ago but still have a lot to learn.

AweSumThenSum

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 9:10 pm
a bit late, I know, but I find that gameboy discs and other such electronic media are always safe bets. there's x religion involved, so u x stepping on ay toes.

RachelSteph

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 11:58 pm
Ya I know but the thing is that these kids don't get anything but the holidays thats Jewish, and I don't want them to forget that they are Jewish too. so that is why I only buy them jewish stuff. My cousin jessy really liked his Bar Mitzvah book. and Niki liked her book on Jewish Feminism by Chana weisberg. and Josh who is the onldest got a Jewish movie. now it's not the best but he liked it and it was funny. it's not something for a religious family but they aren't from a religious family and so I knew it would be okay for him. The movie is called the Hebrew Hammer.

AweSumThenSum

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 11:07 am
if u have a good relationship w/ them, and their parents wouldnt object, perhaps u could invite them over to ur house for a sunday afternoon or s/t like that. I would suggest shabbos, but that might b too threatening.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children