Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/o Ritalin

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:13 am
I read here about all the problems with violence and aggressiveness people have with their ADHD kids and how much medications help. I have a close friend who seems to have similar issues with her teenage son for the past too many years. But she didn't discover the wonders of medication and instead has sent him to board by another family most of the time so he'll be left alone. When he needs to come home she's been sending away most of their other children. She's convinced there's no hope and nothing can help and he just can't be a part of their family, at least for now.

My question is why didn't anyone suggest medication to her? I don't know all the ins and outs, but it sure sounds similar to all the stories here about how medication saved the day. She went to psychologists and different therapists through the years, has had him in a few different yeshivas (and gotten kicked out from some). Why did nobody suggest medication? Or did they for sure suggest it and she said no? I feel so bad for this kid- they really just gave up on him! He sounds exactly like these other kids who have diagnoses and medications that help. Why doesn't he? What was the missing step that they just didn't take to find this answer?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:26 am
Some people believe that the medication is the worst toxins ever and refuse to give it.

Some are in denial.

Some don't want the “stigma”.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:32 am
And some people try medication and it doesn't work for them. Either the meds don't do what they're supposed to, or they do while in use, but also come with horrific side effects, one of which is significant aggression. Also possible that this young man has other issues besides adhd, such as a conduct disorder or bipolar, that are not responding to meds, enough or at all. OR, that he is refusing to take meds, or even go to a doctor about them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:43 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
And some people try medication and it doesn't work for them. Either the meds don't do what they're supposed to, or they do while in use, but also come with horrific side effects, one of which is significant aggression. Also possible that this young man has other issues besides adhd, such as a conduct disorder or bipolar, that are not responding to meds, enough or at all. OR, that he is refusing to take meds, or even go to a doctor about them.

All possibilities, I don't know everything about them. But I once asked why she doesn't try medication and she said "There's no medication in the world that can help this." I mentioned it again recently with examples I've read here, but now I think she's just too done with him to care. It does sound really difficult and overwhelming to go to different doctors and try different things until you find one that works. But I wish they would try anyway!! Sad If you do want to go the meds route, where do you start for the best and quickest results? Maybe I'll convince her one day to just give it a shot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)