Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/o Tips for managing distraction...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 3:20 am
And helping to maximize focus. For our kids who aren't or can't be sufficiently medicated, or for when their meds wear off, or for those of us who might need it. Maybe FROM those of us who have learned and have what to give over.

My main questions right now, for insufficiently medicated kids:

1) How to help them learn to realize when they're distracted, have zoned out, so they can get back on track

2) How to help them take a simple detour without completey derailing (example- going to get a drink while studying and then never getting back to it)

3) How to help them keep any sort of time, whether it's going to bed (dc has accidentally stayed up almost all night a bunch of times without realizing what time it was), actually taking only the ten minute break planned during homework instead of the two hours that happens, and yes, getting places remotely on time.

Please add questions and answers. In all cases, I'm fine with learning techniques that involve others (aka me or a teacher) as long as the end goal is then doing it themselves. And if you say "Use an alarm", please tell me how it might actually work 🙂.

Thanks!

curlyhead

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 5:08 am
Put an Alarm for example 8pm get ready for bed. 8:30 reading time. 8:50 lights out.

Exercise helps keep focus. Maybe do exercise before homework time.

It sounds like you are a very time based person and really run according to clock. If one is on time to appointments and gets the work done there is nothing wrong with flexibility.

Teach them to reward themselves. After 30 minutes of homework they get to play outside/ have 10 minutes tech time or whatever.

If possible a quiet room and have the water, a snack and anything else they may need.

I found the Pomodoro method helpful for myself. Some people find music helps focus other find it distracting.

Getting places on time. Help them work out what time they need to leave the house. Ie school is a 10 minute walk. You need to leave 8:20 to get there just on time for 8:30 but give yourself an extra 5 minutes for unexpected delays. you need to leave at 8:15. What time do you need to be dressed by to leave by 8:15? What time do you need to wake up to start getting dressed at 8:00. etc etc. Do you need time in the morning to "wake up " before starting your routine? etc etc.
I actually find that with older kids you need to make them responsible to be on time . It is not your problem but their problem

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 6:29 am
amother OP wrote:

2) How to help them take a simple detour without completey derailing (example- going to get a drink while studying and then never getting back to it)

3) How to help them keep any sort of time, whether it's going to bed (dc has accidentally stayed up almost all night a bunch of times without realizing what time it was), actually taking only the ten minute break planned during homework instead of the two hours that happens, and yes, getting places remotely on time.

Thanks!

For an ADHD kid 10 minute break is way to much. And an hour of homework is way too much.
You might want him to do one task and do 10 jumping jacks. rinse and repeat. If he is focused, DON'T suggest to take a break, keep it going for as far as he is able to sit.

I have linked to this before: Visual timer clock Game changer!!

It lets him see how much time is left effortless. That makes a huge difference.

Look into the 'executive functions of the brain'. See what he needs help with.

Make set times that are non/negotiable. If its a rule, it will be easier to preform
Wake up, leave, homework, Dinner, shower, etc at X time every night. No exceptions. If something will be different, prepare in advance and give a new time.

Teach him how to count time for travel, speak it out 'when we go downtown, it takes x amount of time, unless rushhour, then we add another x hours. Also getting ready to leave house takes 15 minutes. Have anchors (words that are repeated in the same order every time) of what has to be in pockets every time leaving house; money, keys, buspass. (I still do the one y mother taught me 'keys, money, phone'. and later we added 'bus pass')

More anchor-words of things stat has to be done or be in place throughout the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)