Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bedtimes for kids

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:13 pm
What’s the average bedtime for kids 5 and 7 years old? Im assuming in the summer it’s later.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:20 pm
8:00-8:30.

hodeez

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:50 pm
Nowadays my 5 and under go to sleep 630 to 7, my 6 and 7 go to sleep 8

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:51 pm
My kids go to sleep 7-7:30

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:51 pm
I was putting my 5 and 7 year old to sleep at 7…was feeling too early

hodeez

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:53 pm
Try later, if it works it works. Everyone's kids have different schedules, some tire out more than others, some still have naps.. It's personalized

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:56 pm
Everyone went to bed at 8;00pm, except for the baby (under 1 yrs old) that went to bed when I went about 11ish. They could read or listen to a story in bed.

But my kids were that age a very long time ago.
They have kids older than that

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:59 pm
It’s hard because in the winter we eat supper together, baths and then bedtime and then my time for myself starts! So as much as I feel like I should give them more time I don’t want my night to start at 8:30. In the summer I don’t even have a night because bedtimes are just all over the place.

behappy2

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was putting my 5 and 7 year old to sleep at 7…was feeling too early

If it works for you that is great. Unless they get up too early?

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:35 pm
We have the same schedule year round. That age kid is 7:30. My now 8 year old goes to bed at 8

lucky14

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s hard because in the winter we eat supper together, baths and then bedtime and then my time for myself starts! So as much as I feel like I should give them more time I don’t want my night to start at 8:30. In the summer I don’t even have a night because bedtimes are just all over the place.

I let my kids read in their room however late they want. Maybe let yours stay up playing a bit longer after teeth brushed and pjs put on but they need to do it in their room?

MaverickMommy

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 12:23 am
As others have mentioned the "right" bedtime really depends on your children and it's not only unique to the family, but also to each child.

One of my children starts to crumble into tantrums and tears around dinner time, while another can happily go strong to 9 pm if I would let. I have found that for my younger ones (3 kids age 6 and under) that getting into bed between 6:50 pm and 7:00 pm this time of year is their sweet spot. If the whole bedtime routine is finished and they are in bed during that window I find they usually fall asleep between 7:15-7:30 pm. If still up at 7:15 pm they get a 2nd wind and then the bedtime window usually drags to 8:30/9 pm before everyone is settled and asleep.

You might have to observe for a few days and take notes about when each kid shows early signs of being tired, what time they get a 2nd wind and act hyper, etc. to really know what works for your kids. Some kids genuinely need less sleep. My teenager can function easily on 4-5 hours of broken sleep and be perfectly fine. Just like some adults need more sleep than others, kids are the same.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 1:34 am
My 6 year old starts bedtime routine at 7, falls asleep at 8.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children