Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Whole duck recipe please!

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:50 pm
Long story short, my husband brought home a whole duck ages ago. I don’t like duck and it’s been sitting in my freezer, which I’m attempting to start emptying before Pesach.

How do I cook this thing??

Any and all suggestions welcome, thanks in advance!

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:55 pm
Yum!

Rub the inside and outside with pepper and crushed garlic. Stuff with apple and orange slices. Tie the legs and neck. Bake covered at 350 for a few hours. Take out, rub with honey and nutmeg, bake uncovered for a couple of minutes at 400.

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:01 pm
That looks delicious, thanks! How long is a few hours?

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:16 pm
I don’t remember exactly, but the great thing about baking covered is that it really doesn’t matter. It’s just stewing in there with all the delicious juices.

Watch out it doesn’t burn during the last few minutes.

mamaleh

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:44 pm
Do you have a rotisserie? If so, tie the duck on it & sprinkle with basic spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, etc). Let it go till it’s basically cooked put it into a pan and cover well (you can refrigerate or freeze it at this point) then heat in a 350f oven for 30min (or longer if from fridge/freezer).
Finger lickin good!

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:15 pm
I don’t have a rotisserie but I might be able to borrow one. What’s the point of baking it afterwards?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:46 pm
Defrost in fridge for 2 whole days.

I like the OU’s honey roasted duck recipe.

URHL

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:48 pm
This is my go to recipe

https://juliasalbum.com/how-to-cook-duck/

I've done as the recipes states, sometimes without the stuffing, sometimes without basting it and it comes out great every time.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:48 pm
A roast duck - at least in my opinion - shouldn't stew. It should have beautiful crispy skin.

I use a recipe that duplicates Chinese Roast Duck which is a bit more involved because it involves steaming and then roasting. This keeps the flesh moist and then crisps up the skin

My grandmother cooked it in the very classic manner with lots of garlic, salt and pepper. You p*rick the skin so that the fat runs out and the skin crisps up.

This is basic directions for simple roast duck. If anyone is interested in my Chinese Roast Duck recipe I can post it.

What temperature and how long should you cook a duck?

Rotate the roasting pan and drain the fat every 15 minutes to ensure even coloring of the skin. After 30 minutes at 425°F, reduce heat to 350°F for 30 minutes. 5. Cook the duck to an internal temperature of at least 145°F, because it will continue to rise in temperature after leaving the oven.

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:55 pm
Thanks everyone! Can I oven roast it without a rack? I don’t have a fleishig one.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:56 pm
mommyla wrote:
Thanks everyone! Can I oven roast it without a rack? I don’t have a fleishig one.

I never use a rack. I rotate it frequently.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:02 pm
mommyla wrote:

Theoretically but the results won’t be as good because ducks have an enormous amount of fat and the duck will swim in the fat if it isn’t elevated.

A rack is inexpensive and also produces a better result if you roast any meat. Even items like schnitzel that are oven fried are better because air circulates under them so you have a crispy better cooked cutlet.

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:38 pm
Oh, actually, I just realized that I have a small rack from my Instant Pot that's fleishig. I can use that! It's a smaller duck, around 4 lbs.
Looking forward! Maybe I'll even try it Very Happy

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 5:17 am
See, to my mind, that’s way too much effort. I like recipes where you stick something in the oven and go away and forget about it.

Plus duck fat is so good. You can use it for scrambled eggs for weeks afterwards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey