Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Commenting on Baby
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:22 pm
BH I have a very smiley and beautiful baby. When I am out with him, we usually get numerous comments from people on the street or in stores who stop to comment on his eyes or his smile or want to talk to him. I noticed it always non jews, mamish never a Yid. Why don’t frum yidden ever stop and comment (or even smile at him)? I don’t need anyone too. Just something I always wondered.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:25 pm
Ayin harah?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:26 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
Ayin harah?

Ok I hear that

amother
Bluebonnet

Because babies are a specialty in other communities-not in ours. We have so many babies, and most of the Jewish people you see daily have their own kids/grandkids, that honestly, they don't care about yours..........

gr82no

Because a lot of ppl have a baby in the frum world. It would take forever to comment on each baby.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:27 pm
They have enough of their own and are not enamored by yours LOL

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:27 pm
I think non-jews are often struck by the yiddishe chain of our babies. We see that all the time (and in general have many more babies in our lives), so it's not such a thing to stop and comment on.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:28 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Because babies are a specialty in other communities-not in ours. We have so many babies, and most of the Jewish people you see daily have their own kids/grandkids, that honestly, they don't care about yours..........

Lol yes to this. We're very happy you have a beautiful baby but like I have a few of my own so unless I know you and need to make small talk, I'm not stopping you to coo

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
BH I have a very smiley and beautiful baby. When I am out with him, we usually get numerous comments from people on the street or in stores who stop to comment on his eyes or his smile or want to talk to him. I noticed it always non jews, mamish never a Yid. Why don’t frum yidden ever stop and comment (or even smile at him)? I don’t need anyone too. Just something I always wondered.

Op. Do you comment on stranger's babies?

Hidden

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:29 pm
I think frum people are more used to babies that non jews.
Non jews also love pregnant women, have you ever gone to a public place when pregnant?
Someone I know was in Disney she kept on getting stopped and some people even asked her if she could touch her stomach!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:30 pm
I have my own baby, dont need to comment on others

mizle10

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:31 pm
I have 6 of my own bh:) Not really interested in a strangers baby

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:36 pm
Because in some communities people are just less friendly and more self absorbed.
Smiling at someone or paying someone a compliment is doesn’t cost you anything and can mean the world to them, but in some communities, I find people to think they themselves are more refined and better if they don’t extend niceties to others. As people stated above, I have my own kids, I couldn’t care less about yours.

This has been my experience with everything from a Pesach hotel, waiting at an MD appointment, to the airport waiting lounge, to shopping at Woodberry Commons, to walking down Collins avenue in Miami.
Honestly, I am very turned off. I prefer the company of stranger non-Jews or non-frum Jews to a bunch of frum yidden.

🍅🍅🍅🍅

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:39 pm
not my experience. I comment on jewish babies and people always comment on my kids

gr82no

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Because in some communities people are just less friendly and more self absorbed.
Smiling at someone or paying someone a compliment is doesn’t cost you anything and can mean the world to them, but in some communities, I find people to think they themselves are more refined and better if they don’t extend niceties to others. As people stated above, I have my own kids, I couldn’t care less about yours.

This has been my experience with everything from a Pesach hotel, waiting at an MD appointment, to the airport waiting lounge, to shopping at Woodberry Commons, to walking down Collins avenue in Miami.
Honestly, I am very turned off. I prefer the company of stranger non-Jews or non-frum Jews to a bunch of frum yidden.

🍅🍅🍅🍅

I’m sorry you feel that way.
I doubt it’s coming from snobbiness. It’s probably because they are very busy with their own life or shyness.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:43 pm
As someone who can’t have kids right now, it’s too hard for me to focus and try to be excited around your baby. You have no idea what people are going through, so maybe they think your kid is cute but it’s too hard for them to acknowledge.

monseymom25

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:52 pm
I do Op. I love babies so I smile at all babies! Jewish or not. And I would definitely tell you he was adorable.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 3:53 pm
I do have to say though that my toddler is uniquely adorable (hair color and talks adorably) and I get cute comments from both Jews and non jews alike (Lakewood).
But my toddler IS irresistibly adorable!

writinggirl

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 3:56 pm
When I see a cute baby I always comment. I love all cute babies, especially if I don’t have to wake up for them 😃

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:

🍅🍅🍅🍅

Sorry you feel this way, but I would absolutely NOT appreciate random strangers commenting on my baby or giving me a compliment. That's just creepy, in my opinion.
I don't know why you feel the need to get compliments and comments from strangers. Most people just mind their own business, it doesn't mean they're cold and not friendly.
Maybe try to discover why you feel the need to receive compliments and comments from strangers.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics