Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Therapist Recommendation-Lakewood or Zoom-Teenage DD
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:14 pm
Can anyone help with a recommendation for a therapist for my daughter who struggles with anxiety - and issues related to emotional immaturity.

She has seen a few therapists in the past. They have come highly recommended and we had a hard time getting her in BUT..... with one she had a hard time connected because "she was too yeshivish for me", the other may have pushed her too hard to fast, and we are back to square one. She has recently voiced that she would like us to help her find a therapist AGAIN, but she is extremely specific that she wants someone "with it' and not "nebby". While this sounds immature, what she is expressing is that she needs someone who can relate to her struggle of living in a Lakewood world and struggling to be a square peg in a round hole. It is the struggle of fitting in and "conforming" to expectations while still maintaining her individuality, and she feels that only someone who is trendy and with it and is not in this stuffy box of Lakewood can really understand her.

She has been there and done it and has felt misunderstood.

I would love it to be someone who is skilled and experienced. Suggestions? Am I dreaming?

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 8:08 am
I’d recommend Chedvi Perr.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 8:20 am
Has she been evaluated or diagnosed with anything?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 8:28 am
I would recommend that you go to Nesivos. They recommended the perfect therapist for my dd. They meet you and your dd and try to get the best fit. 7325347800

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 10:20 am
Malky Shaulson in Lakewood

oneofakind

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 10:33 am
Yami Breitowitz

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 2:15 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Yami Breitowitz

Actually we were referred to her by her principal and she has a waiting list a mile long and her practice is closed to new patients. No can do.

Will look into other suggestions. I just hope we can get into one of them, it is almost impossible to find aa therapist who has ANY availability and is worth seeing.

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 2:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Actually we were referred to her by her principal and she has a waiting list a mile long and her practice is closed to new patients. No can do.

Will look into other suggestions. I just hope we can get into one of them, it is almost impossible to find aa therapist who has ANY availability and is worth seeing.

While there are so many in this field, there is only a handful of good ones. It's hard, I feel for you.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 2:42 pm
Dr koslowitz's practice

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 3:45 pm
Tali Liebes

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 3:45 pm
Try Stephanie Rosenberg, she might have a waiting list though.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 4:02 pm
My dd sounds similar to yours. She had amazing success with Daniella Feldman. I particularly liked two things about her. She's young and with-it enough to "get" it. She also has a regimen and doesn't keep her patients for years on end. We used her for OCD/anxiety so when dd had the skills to move on she let me know she's available for "boosters" but she and dd agreed she had the skills to move on mostly on her own.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 4:24 pm
She likely also has a waiting list...but Noemie Amoyelle is fantastic.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 4:42 pm
Stephanie only sees 18 and up.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 8:47 pm
Did you try calling Relief?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 9:15 pm
We have tried calling relief- just so you know, we have gotten some really really BAD referrals from relief so I don't know if when people say call relief - it is because they have experience with them or because they just know they exist.

She has worked with Dr. Koslowitz in the past - was NOT a good shidduch although she was great at getting to the root of her issue- she had stopped seeing her due to COVID and then refused to go back to her when restrictions eased up claiming she was not her "type".

She has worked with two other top notch therapists as well- but refuses to go back- one of which we continue seeing as parents- we are eager to get guidance to help her navigate her challenges at home, but she really needs her own therapist and help.

Honestly, I think that once she finds someone who is her "type" she won't be so resistant to the work she needs to do within herself. She has a tendency to shift all her issues on everyone/circumstances around her. But she is a very intense/moody/melancholy type of kid - she was born that way honestly and she carries intense feeling and emotions she needs help processing- without it being everyone else's fault

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 9:24 pm
Leah Iskowitz is excellent, works a lot with kids & teens with trauma, I believe also has experience with anxiety. Not sure of her availability but worth a try.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 9:28 pm
I suggested relief because I know some people have gotten good referrals from them, but I know it can be hit or miss…

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 9:36 pm
Bracha Klein LSW at LCSC is young and trendy enough and smart and mature. Chanie (Connie) Gerstel has a lot of experience with teenagers and takes some insurance.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 9:44 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Leah Iskowitz is excellent, works a lot with kids & teens with trauma, I believe also has experience with anxiety. Not sure of her availability but worth a try.

I like Leah a lot and she has a great reputation. But she's not young and trendy. I've heard good things about Rivky Gerson, she is young and trendy, but I don't know if she has availability.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)