Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Help clueless woman cook meat

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 10:41 pm
I don’t like meat and don’t know the first thing about cooking it. I always stick to minute steak and rib steak, two of the few recipes I know how to cook.

For Pesach I decided to make something special and bought whatever looked the most appealing. I know, brilliant. Can't Believe It

Now I have meat that look nice but I have no clue how to cook it. I bought Swiss steak and rib eye steak. We don’t use most store bought ingredients like soy sauce and ketchup, so I need recipes that use very basic ingredients.

Also, from what I learned after a quick google search, rib eye is best cooked fresh, but we will be away for the first days and chol hamoed, so I’m cooking everything in advance and freezing.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 10:51 pm
All meat tastes best fresh
Steaks are best for grilling and roasting quickly. Thicker cuts of meat like roasts or ribs are best cooked low and slow with liquid.
If you can leave a flame on over YT you can roast it in a pan with oil, salt, and whatever spices you use. 2-4 minutes each side depending on thickness and how well done you want it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 10:53 pm
I know, but since we’re going away I have no choice but to cook everything in advance. I also don’t have an oven or flame on on yom tov.
Can I cook it low and slow like a minute steak? I’m thinking it’s such a waste on good meat. Can I sear it and freeze it, or is that a no no?

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 11:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know, but since we’re going away I have no choice but to cook everything in advance. I also don’t have an oven or flame on on yom tov.
Can I cook it low and slow like a minute steak? I’m thinking it’s such a waste on good meat. Can I sear it and freeze it, or is that a no no?

If you don't have a oven on YT, how will you heat it up?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 11:02 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
If you don't have a oven on YT, how will you heat it up?

On an electric hot plate.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 11:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

Oh that’s hard, how do you warm things up for the meals?
You can definitely cook it low and slow it just won’t be as juicy. Make sure to use lots of onions and add water or some other liquid to the pan so it doesn’t dry out.
I never tried searing and rewarming so I wouldn’t know.

schoolbus

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 11:07 pm
Swiss steak is best low and slow bake with onions salt some red wine a little orange juice if you like sweetness and cover tightly

homemommie120

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 11:58 pm
1/2 pineapple and 1 orange blend in food processor add 1 cup wine. Sprinkles meat with salt. Marinate meat in sauce for overnight then bake/cook. If u bake before covering put parchment paper then cover tightly with silver foil

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:01 am
homemommie120 wrote:
1/2 pineapple and 1 orange blend in food processor add 1 cup wine. Sprinkles meat with salt. Marinate meat in sauce for overnight then bake/cook. If u bake before covering put parchment paper then cover tightly with silver foil

Thank you. For Swiss steak or rib eye steak?

Itsallfromhim

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:03 am
Don’t reheat the meat - bring it to room temp near hot plate

homemommie120

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. For Swiss steak or rib eye steak?

Doesn't matter. The other one you can make with vegetables. So you have sweet meat and meat with vegetables

chams

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:06 am
How long o you. Usually cook yours for. Also would this work well for a roast?

quote="amother OP"]Thank you. For Swiss steak or rib eye steak?[/quote]

homemommie120

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:10 am
[quote="chams"]How long o you. Usually cook yours for. Also would this work well for a roast?

Yes the recipe is also good for roast. Cook for 3 hours and bake for close to 4 hours. Every 20-30 minutes turn over the roast so it doesn't get dried out on top.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 12:15 am
justayiddena wrote:
Don’t reheat the meat - bring it to room temp near hot plate

So can I sear, freeze, and then bring to room temperature without ruining it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics