Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How long bedika?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 2:30 am
I always thought that bedikas chametz was symbolic. That we are looking for the hidden pieces of chametz. I didn’t realize people actually look to inspect if proper cleaning was done. In my house as a kid was was 2k sf and now my apt as an adult which is 1/4 that it takes about 15 minutes but most of that is playful with the kids

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 2:34 am
My father’s takes over a an hour and he doesn’t talk the entire time.

I’m by my in-laws now. It took maybe 5 minutes. But it was fun, my MIL bought my son a kit and he had fun looking for the fake pieces of bread.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 2:39 am
15 minutes.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 2:44 am
About 2 hours, that's with 2 of my sons over Bar Mitzva helping out. He doesn't talk the whole time. Totally ocd about this, I told him it's my worst night of the year. The only one who found some crumbs was my son who checked the car - which was cleaned professionally just a few hours earlier..

ysydmom

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 3:03 am
about 20 minutes from start to finish one floor apartment all the kids get involved it's a beautiful minhag ensuring everything is done and ready!

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 4:39 am
20 minutes? Technically 3 BR apartment but the baby's room was done earlier so could sleep. We do a quick lookover in the car too. But they got cleaned earlier...
And you can talk if relevant to the search. Like if I see something myself or want to know if X is an issue. I hate my husband going "ehhh" instead of saying "can you check if X is ok?".

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 5:05 am
We have 4 floors, 3000 square feet and it takes about 10 min. The house has been entirely KFP for a week, except for a small area in the dining room which was cleaned yesterday morning.
It's just symbolic. There's nothing to find.
That's why we hide the 10 pieces.
My chametz is either in taped up cabinets or gotten rid of days ago.

We don't do the car.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 5:07 am
I don’t know. I couldn’t hold out any longer and collapsed into bed and fell asleep.

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 6:19 am
About an hour and a half. We have a 160 meter house. He didn't do the car. My husband is not ocd. He does it in a beautiful way with all the kids. He sings a niggun the whole time and it is a very enjoyable experience for the whole family.

Momafewx

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 6:30 am
Our 4 brdm house takes about an hr.
Op I wonder if next year, you can honor your desire to wrap it up in a regular amount of time and also respect his value to search for chametz intently. And say I'm so happy you are thorough, I can join this proccess for 45min, then I'm going to be cooking/sleeping. Thank you for doing this and insuring our home is kosher for pesach.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 6:31 am
We check that it was clean/checked. I made a list of what we missed and we took care of it right after.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 7:21 am
I never realized there are that many people with religious ocd. That is such a sad fact.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 9:04 am
Maybe
fifteen minutes? Never timed it. Apartment, five rooms plus a hall. One bathroom. Why would it take longer? We've already cleaned everything starting weeks before.That was the real bedikat. By this time we have no chometz left except maybe just enough for breakfast the next day--some years not even that. This bedikah is essentially symbolic as we've already done our checking and cleaning. So much so that we have to put out pieces of chometz to avoid bracha levatalah.Unless you live in a tent I don't believe you can do a real bedikah erev erev Pesach.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:05 am
About 40 mins and he does the cars.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:07 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Maybe
fifteen minutes? Never timed it. Apartment, five rooms plus a hall. One bathroom. Why would it take longer? We've already cleaned everything starting weeks before.That was the real bedikat. By this time we have no chometz left except maybe just enough for breakfast the next day--some years not even that. This bedikah is essentially symbolic as we've already done our checking and cleaning. So much so that we have to put out pieces of chometz to avoid bracha levatalah.Unless you live in a tent I don't believe you can do a real bedikah erev erev Pesach.

Oh my dh found Chometz this year and last year besides for the 10 pieces of bread! Both years in the pram bag.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:21 am
Small apartment, few minutes, tops 15.
We clear out the things we "sell" then, sticker up the cabinets etc.

My mother's cleaning help yenta'ed to her the X husband is ocd about it. He starts a week before and goes thru everything. Every sock and panty.....

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:27 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
Oh my dh found Chometz this year and last year besides for the 10 pieces of bread! Both years in the pram bag.
. Well you see I would have checked that bag earlier in the day, especially in view of the fact that this is a place where chometz is often stashed. I found some throat lozenges in my purse yesterday, but that was while cleaning it in the afternoon after finishing my shopping. I didn't wait till the official bedikat to check and neither should you.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:29 am
. Well you see I would have checked that bag earlier in the day, especially in view of the fact that this is a place where chometz is often stashed. I found some throat lozenges in my purse yesterday, but that was while cleaning it in the afternoon after finishing my shopping. I didn't wait till the official bedikat to check and neither should you.

Really? Wow. I checked it a week or 2 ago already and removed all Chometz (or so I thought) but I missed a small front pocket. We're all human aren't we? We try our best!
I don't leave my dh Chometz to find on purpose believe me I've not had it easy the past couple years with an extremely demanding baby and toddler.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:29 am

My diaper bag goes in the laundry and gets vacuumed out! That’s a huge chametz gathering place!

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 10:32 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
My diaper bag goes in the laundry and gets vacuumed out! That’s a huge chametz gathering place!

Chill everyone. I didn't wash mine, we're fine, no one is eating Chometz! Or finding it, and crumbs aren't Chometz. I'm a clean person in general. My pram bag wasn't crumby at all.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics