Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Where can my kids see a live elephant?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 11:01 pm
The safari is a great place!

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 11:04 pm
The elephants at six flags Jackson, NJ were actually born at six flags.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:39 am
giftedmom wrote:
These are like three continents mixed together, how does it work?

The bears, lions, tigers, zebra are all in separate enclosures. They're not walking around.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 1:58 am
doctorima wrote:
I believe the Bronx Zoo and NJ Six Flags safari both still have elephants, though the Philly Zoo may have gotten rid of theirs.

They did

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:56 am
Sorry off topic- safari goers did you buy tickets in advance? There really was no line to get in with your car?

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 4:26 am
iluvy wrote:
I've been following this case and am fascinated to hear that a frum woman is on it! Would you be comforting pm'ing me? I want to ask something

I actually only googled this when OP asked about where one can see elephants. I actually thought the information was fascinating also and was going to recommend that others read about it, especially the ruling that elephants don't have the same rights as humans. But to be honest I'm not going to keep following it intentionally.
Actually I live in South Africa and really enjoy safaris (game reserves/national parks) and literally can't go to a zoo any more. I'm not a big animal rights activist but seeing a lion or cheetah stuck in a little cage is pretty pathetic.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:47 am
The Omaha zoo has 3 baby elephants that were recently born. Their herd is thriving.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:02 am
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, the Syracuse zoo has a bunch of elephants. IIRC, they even have an elephant show.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:07 am
amother Brass wrote:
I actually only googled this when OP asked about where one can see elephants. I actually thought the information was fascinating also and was going to recommend that others read about it, especially the ruling that elephants don't have the same rights as humans. But to be honest I'm not going to keep following it intentionally.
Actually I live in South Africa and really enjoy safaris (game reserves/national parks) and literally can't go to a zoo any more. I'm not a big animal rights activist but seeing a lion or cheetah stuck in a little cage is pretty pathetic.

When you copy something off the internet it’s proper etiquette to post a link as a source. I thought you were actually an animal lawyer.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:07 am
African safari

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:11 am
At the Cleveland zoo you can see them up close, like really close that we were able to discern male vs female.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:22 am
amother Brass wrote:
Fortunately, the two elephants in the Bronx Zoo are still alive, but Happy and Patty have been deprived of everything that makes life worth living for members of their species. Along with my colleagues at the Nonhuman Rights Project (NhRP), I am Happy's lawyer

How did she contact you to express her point of view? How much do you charge her per hour?

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:24 am
amother Calendula wrote:
A lot of zoos have gotten rid of their elephant exhibits amd no longer keep elephants there. Not sure why exactly but I believe it's because of the way elephants behave in captivity (unhappy etc). Although I'm not sure why that wouldn't apply to other animals as well...

It’s because the exhibit needs to be a certain size and many zoos don’t have room. The Detroit Zoo used to have elephants and they had to send them away, apparently for this reason. Stupidly, I think one of the elephants didn’t survive the trip (so I’m not sure what was gained).

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:27 am
amother Brass wrote:

So why did you copy and paste that you are the elephant’s lawyer?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:24 am
Agreed that once you visit a safari you lose interest in zoos. I still go for the sake of my kids but it doesn’t come close to seeing those beautiful animals in their natural environment.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:28 am
amother Ginger wrote:
When you copy something off the internet it’s proper etiquette to post a link as a source. I thought you were actually an animal lawyer.

You're right, I'm sorry, I had no intention to deceive anyone
https://www.nydailynews.com/op......html

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:30 am
amother Banana wrote:
How did she contact you to express her point of view? How much do you charge her per hour?

Apologies, I should've posted the link, here it is
https://www.nydailynews.com/op......html

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:31 am
We saw a few elephants today in the UK, Blackpool zoo, they were fascinating!
And the giraffes, and monkeys, gorilla's etc. My favourite! So much fun.
Enjoy your chol hamoed.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:41 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
At the Cleveland zoo you can see them up close, like really close that we were able to discern male vs female.

Same here at Blackpool zoo, there were 6 of them. Unbelievable
We watched them for a while, luckily it was an indoors (the elephants have a huge enclosure outside as well but it was raining so most were indoors) under cover. It's really outdoor for them still.

Laiya

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:50 am
There's a difference between saying that we shouldn't mistreat animals because it's wrong, and saying that we shouldn't mistreat animals because animals have the same inherent rights as humans, which is the position of the Non-human rights project.

I don't see how this can be reconciled with a Torah viewpoint tbh.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics