Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
I'm a person too. Vent

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 4:31 pm
Dh complained to me why I'm in the kitchen making more food today when we have a freezer full of food for the 2nd days. I don't eat the side dishes I made frozen. I like fresh vegetables. He asked why I'm making more things. I'm a person too. And entitled to healthy options. Men... Banging head

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:31 pm
So don't make any frozen sides. I think a veg blintz is tasteless.
My mother does only fresh sides. Day 1 mashed potatoes day 2 fries in oven, you can do beets and sweet potatoes.
You can serve a salad with either the fish/first course or the meat/main course. Both of these together shouldn't take more than a half hour prep yom tov morning.
Rather only make 1 type of food many times, then many types and your overwhelmed and overworked.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:34 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
So don't make any frozen sides. I think a veg blintz is tasteless.
My mother does only fresh sides. Day 1 mashed potatoes day 2 fries in oven, you can do beets and sweet potatoes.
You can serve a salad with either the fish/first course or the meat/main course. Both of these together shouldn't take more than a half hour prep yom tov morning.
Rather only make 1 type of food many times, then many types and your overwhelmed and overworked.

I'm saying I already cooked b4 YT and have frozen side dishes. Dh is wondering why km making fresh vegetables now

miami85

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dh complained to me why I'm in the kitchen making more food today when we have a freezer full of food for the 2nd days. I don't eat the side dishes I made frozen. I like fresh vegetables. He asked why I'm making more things. I'm a person too. And entitled to healthy options. Men... Banging head

Freezing does not reduce the nutritional value of food. It's one thing to like fresh vegetables, but don't think you are losing out to the frozen food.

Humanity has been finding ways of preserving foods throughout history and freezing is a suitable method while preserving without additives.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:43 pm
So answer him and move on what’s the big deal

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:45 pm
miami85 wrote:
Freezing does not reduce the nutritional value of food. It's one thing to like fresh vegetables, but don't think you are losing out to the frozen food.

Humanity has been finding ways of preserving foods throughout history and freezing is a suitable method while preserving without additives.

I froze side dishes for the rest of my family. Like potato knishes, muffins, kugel, etc. Things I stay away from. But dh keeps telling me I have so much food and can't figure out why I'm making new stuff for the 2nd days. Um, for myself!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:47 pm
Why can't he ask? And why can't you answer without getting all angry? He wants to know why you're cooking when the freezer is full of food. It's a normal question to ask & probably coming out of caring for you.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:12 pm
as an aside... what kind of healthy side are you making tonight?
Looking for good ideas

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:13 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
as an aside... what kind of healthy side are you making tonight?
Looking for good ideas

Roasted kabocha squash. Roasted cauliflower and Roasted zucchini, pepper and sweet potato

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:16 pm
yum! thanks!

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:17 pm
I want to validate you OP
It sounds like my father...always over my mothers shoulder asking why are you cooking more?
Ummm so there is food to eat, or because she is hungry or because he ate up all the food and more is needed...
Men like these should shut up or learn to say "thank you so much for working so hard cooking delicious meals for yom tov"

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:49 pm
Sounds to me that maybe he’s saying it because he feels bad your working hard and he wants you to relax

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'm guessing that he doesn't realize that you're doing this for yourself...and he's feeling bad for you that you're working so hard. That is actually quite thoughtful and sweet that he's worried you're working too hard. Thank him for his concern, explain what you're doing, and move on.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:29 pm
I do this too. I make separate food for myself.
I’m happy eating salmon and grilled vegetables but that doesn’t work for my family. So I make them kugel and cake etc
2 of my kids are very picky and I make them what they like.
No one really cares what I’m doing in the kitchen though.
It’s nice that your husband feels bad that you’re working hard.
I don’t think my husband realizes what I do.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 9:13 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Sounds to me that maybe he’s saying it because he feels bad your working hard and he wants you to relax
It's all in the tone of voice, which OP did not share with us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics