Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Urgent: utilities being shut off

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:32 pm
My utilities might be shut off as off Monday. I could go on a payment plan, however I don't have money for down payment. They want $1500. Where could I turn for help?
I live in Monsey. My husband is ashamed of asking his friends/ rebbe. We were always on the giving side, we have always helped ppl. Lately our business has being going on minus, pesach I didn't even go to shul because I didn't have what to wear besides a shabbas robe.

amother
Apple

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:36 pm
Tomchei shabbos

giftedmom

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:37 pm
Time to put your shame aside

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:39 pm
http://www.hakhel.info/gemach-list.htm#Money

I don't know if this list is current, but try.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
My utilities might be shut off as off Monday. I could go on a payment plan, however I don't have money for down payment. They want $1500. Where could I turn for help?
I live in Monsey. My husband is ashamed of asking his friends/ rebbe. We were always on the giving side, we have always helped ppl. Lately our business has being going on minus, pesach I didn't even go to shul because I didn't have what to wear besides a shabbas robe.

What is the down-payment amount they want, $150?

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:46 pm
Do you qualify for any benefits (Medicaid, SNAP, WIC)? If so you may qualify for One Shot Deal and/or HEAP through HRA.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 8:53 pm
If your dh won’t reach out for help then you need to. Try asking family members first, if that doesn’t work ask your rav. You need the money right now and anything government takes time to come through.

Itsallfromhim

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 9:08 pm
Try RSK.org

Much hatzlacha

estee3

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 9:11 pm
Gut Voch
Gut Chodesh
Direct message me

happyness

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 9:51 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Time to put your shame aside

That could be said in a kinder way

OP, I get you and your feelings of shame

Hoping you can ask for help and still keep your dignity intact

Know that it's not a reflection of you or who you are, it's a nisayon and may Hashem bentch you that your business do well and you never need to rely on others anymore

amother
Black

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 10:11 pm
Please please reach out to Tomchei Shabbos of Monsey. This is exactly the kind of thing they help with.
https://www.tomcheshabbos.org/

Email Alan Rosenstock
alan@tomcheshabbos.org

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 5:45 am
In the past, when we needed to ask people for money, I reminded myself that the reason Hashem made some people rich and some people poor is so that the rich can give us tzedaka. When we ask for money, we are helping them fulfil their responsibility. It's still embarrassing to ask, but it helps somewhat.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 6:41 am
Maybe Yael can start an emergency fundraising for you. Do have food?

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 6:43 am
Emergency HEAP (gvmt program) gives money if you have a termination notice and less than a certain amount in your bank account.

Regular HEAP gives you a set amount for the year (in addition to emergency HEAP) and O&R gives you a big discount as well.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 6:50 am
OP , you are not the only one struggling financially now. Please don’t feel shame and reach out . I am on a payment plan with O&R. It’s really not something to be embarrassed about. Utilities went up a lot. Tomche Shabbos and RSK both assist with this.
Also, if you set up a go fund me , I’m able to make a donation of $250 towards your down payment.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:45 pm
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I'm working g on a few things, hopefully something will happen.
To the above mother, my issue is with veolia, the installments are very high per mo th.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries