Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
OT's -- how to use recess to benefit kids w SI issues

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 6:26 am
Yesterday, I was with a kindergarten class, and it occurred to me that maybe there are kids who need the school's big rope and tire swing more than others. Fair is not always equal.

Are there certain ways to use it that are particularly good for sensory seekers? They seem to like going really high.

I'm rethinking whether equal turns are in everyone's best interest, or whether to prioritize the kids with certain challenges -- which then might possibly give everyone a better afternoon.

Am I off base, or onto something?

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 8:43 am
OT here...Yes, you are definitely onto something. Some kids have a higher threshold for sensory input than others, meaning some kids just need more input than other kids to reach the same feeling.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 10:03 am
Part of my dd's PT was swinging on a swing, arimulates the vestibular system if I recall correctly, has to di with balance and movement.

I dont know if it is the right thing to prioritize some kids having more turna or longer turns than others. The kids will definitely notice, how will you explain it to them?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Yesterday, I was with a kindergarten class, and it occurred to me that maybe there are kids who need the school's big rope and tire swing more than others. Fair is not always equal.

Are there certain ways to use it that are particularly good for sensory seekers? They seem to like going really high.

I'm rethinking whether equal turns are in everyone's best interest, or whether to prioritize the kids with certain challenges -- which then might possibly give everyone a better afternoon.

Am I off base, or onto something?

There are definitely some kids who need the sensory input more than others. But is it fair to the non sensory kids not to get a turn? Perhaps there is an assistant that can take the sensory seeking kids out at a different time in the day to get the sensory input they need, and the rest of the class can still get their turn during recess.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:42 am
I have a kid that gets OT and I don't want him to get the idea that he gets extra turns then his friends. It doesnt breed good middos. Everyone should get equal access at recess time. If my kid needs extra that can be done in a therapy session.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 12:30 pm
Yes, some kids might have a diagnosis that means they can use it more. But other kids should not be deprived either. They may not qualify for a diagnosis but it would help them. Maybe it keeps them regulated. They have every right for the tire swing etc as any other kid. They can't understand that Shlomo needs it more, they just see favoritism and unfairness. Also, how would you determine who needs it "more"?
Also, you don't want the kids with different needs to feel "othered" or like they are "weird". Social acceptance and feeling like "one of the group" is crucial, especially if they have "needs".

This isn't a PT or OT session. If you were doing therapy with a kid and they got pulled out for it, were seen in an office etc then you could make a determination of which clients of yours could get more time. But this is a class. In a school. Where everyone needs to feel accepted and that things are fair. Don't mix the two.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics