Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Am I normal or OCD about raw meat/chicken?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 6:56 am
I’ve always wondered this and feel stupid asking someone,, so anonymous Imamother post to the rescue!

When I make meatballs, I mix the raw meatballs a few minutes after I’ve put them in the pot, then put that long spoon on a nearby plate. (Never had a spoon rest!) then 20 minutes later I mix it again with that spoon. Then half an hour later I realize the meatballs are probably fully cooked but I want them to cook further so the sauce thickens on them, and I don’t want to use the spoon that has raw meat residue on it, so I take a new spoon and plate.

The other day I made fried fish. I turned over the fish using a wide spatula, the first side was ready, but the other side was raw. A few minutes later I wanted to flip them again, but I didn’t want the spatula with raw fish crumbs to touch the already cooked side, and I didn’t have another nonstick spatula, so I scrubbed it clean. Then, a few minutes later, the fish was ready, and I was afraid there was raw fish crumbs on the spatula from my prior flip, so I scrubbed it again.

Am I normal or OCD? For reference, my parents cooked a lot but never seemed to care about raw food contamination, they definitely would be using the same utensil throughout, and we never got sick, but I look down at their food hygiene in general!

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:00 am
This sounds normal to me
It's similar to how I do things in the kitchen

I'm very sensitive.
Throughout my childhood and teen years I used to get what my mother called "stomach viruses" (which I now know was food poisoning) once or twice a month. But since I moved out and am very strict with food safety it no longer happens.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:01 am
Seems a little extra to me. But if you’re happy did it really matter?

first time mom!

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:10 am
When I’m frying shnitzel for example, I’ll leave the tips of the metal tongs in the hot oil hoping it’s cooking any raw bits left on it from the flip.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:11 am
op I'm the same and also wondered if I was crazy. thanks for posting.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:14 am
I am not ocd
I am very careful with raw food contamination
I don't use the same utensils that I touch the raw food with
when cooked I use different utensils
and probably switch to that when it is lightly cooked so as not to bring the raw food contamination

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:15 am
first time mom! wrote:
When I’m frying shnitzel for example, I’ll leave the tips of the metal tongs in the hot oil hoping it’s cooking any raw bits left on it from the flip.

I use 2 different forks when frying Shnitzel, 1 for the raw and 1 for the fried.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:16 am
amother Lilac wrote:
This sounds normal to me
It's similar to how I do things in the kitchen

I'm very sensitive.
Throughout my childhood and teen years I used to get what my mother called "stomach viruses" (which I now know was food poisoning) once or twice a month. But since I moved out and am very strict with food safety it no longer happens.

Once or twice a month? Surprised Surprised
Did it ever occur to your mother that such a thing isn't normal?

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:19 am
I never though of myself as ocd in that way but I always automatically wash the spoon/spatula every time I take it out of the bowl. It just feels right.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:19 am
Better than normal. "Normal" would be to use the same utensil, but "normal" just means "what most people do," not "the best thing to do."

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:21 am
I do the same thing, and don’t put anything on the spatula rest once it’s officially “cooking.”

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:21 am
zaq wrote:
Better than normal. "Normal" would be to use the same utensil, but "normal" just means "what most people do," not "the best thing to do."

but if normal people never get sick then there's no need to be "better"? as I said upthread. I'm like op but do wonder if I'm crazy.
I feel bad for the poster who kept getting sick from her mother's food. that's so sad Sad

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:22 am
I do the same.

mzybas

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:30 am
I guess OCD would depend on a diagnosis. But if it doesn't affect your mental wellbeing then do what makes you comfortable. No such thing as 'normal' 🙂

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:32 am
first time mom! wrote:

I do this. If not then I change or rinse like you do.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:34 am
Normal to me but maybe I'm also OCD Wink

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:34 am
Ummm you all know that you can literally eat raw fish and meat right? I never do any of that even with chicken and bH we’re all fine

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:40 am
amother OP wrote:
I’ve always wondered this and feel stupid asking someone,, so anonymous Imamother post to the rescue!

When I make meatballs, I mix the raw meatballs a few minutes after I’ve put them in the pot, then put that long spoon on a nearby plate. (Never had a spoon rest!) then 20 minutes later I mix it again with that spoon. Then half an hour later I realize the meatballs are probably fully cooked but I want them to cook further so the sauce thickens on them, and I don’t want to use the spoon that has raw meat residue on it, so I take a new spoon and plate.

The other day I made fried fish. I turned over the fish using a wide spatula, the first side was ready, but the other side was raw. A few minutes later I wanted to flip them again, but I didn’t want the spatula with raw fish crumbs to touch the already cooked side, and I didn’t have another nonstick spatula, so I scrubbed it clean. Then, a few minutes later, the fish was ready, and I was afraid there was raw fish crumbs on the spatula from my prior flip, so I scrubbed it again.

Am I normal or OCD? For reference, my parents cooked a lot but never seemed to care about raw food contamination, they definitely would be using the same utensil throughout, and we never got sick, but I look down at their food hygiene in general!

IMHO you are normal! Flower
You simply don't like raw and cooked crumbs together. You are sensitive to hygiene and I guess your house is very clean. Soiled or dirty things you dislike.
Some of us are very sensitive, some not.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:41 am
I think the norms today are pretty neurotic.

observer

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 8:01 am
When you mix the meatballs in the boiling sauce, whatever is on the spatula is getting cooked, so it's not raw anymore.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen