Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Is DD too sensitive?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:08 am
Dd8 is a soft, sensitive soul.
She keeps complaining about girls being mean to her, teasing etc. I'm in touch with teachers and principal and they're handing it very well bh. But sometimes it feels too petty to mention incidents. But I really don't want to overlook any potential bullying. This is definitely not a classic case of bullying but more like isolated incidents.
I want my daughter to feel like I'm taking her seriously and that it's never ok for anyone to bother her but sometimes it feels like girls are just being playful and fun and she takes it the wrong way. She also can't handle when girls act silly, immature, chanting and yelling childish things etc.
She also says she has no friends, but this past Sunday three kids individually called for playdates. When I questioned why she says she has no friends, she said those girls don't count since they're mean to her.
How can I know whether it's regular childish behavior or she really is being targeted?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 7:10 am
Ask the teachers what they think. Do other girls in the class complain too, does she look happy at recess, does she hang out with anyone etc..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 8:48 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
Ask the teachers what they think. Do other girls in the class complain too, does she look happy at recess, does she hang out with anyone etc..

According to teachers she looks happy. They were surprised she feels this way.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 8:51 am
Is it possible she has ADHD? Rejection sensitivity dysphoria is a big part of ADHD.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 9:01 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Is it possible she has ADHD? Rejection sensitivity dysphoria is a big part of ADHD.

This is what I'm dealing with my daughter is 9 😞

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 9:13 am
amother Emerald wrote:

She's only struggling socially, no other ADHD symptoms. Can it be ADHD without any of the other indicators that usually come along with it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 9:16 am
amother Stone wrote:
This is what I'm dealing with my daughter is 9 😞

Hugs. Can we pair them up??? Hug

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 9:34 am
amother OP wrote:
Hugs. Can we pair them up??? Hug

You can add my 9 yo dd to the mix

Phoebe31

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:32 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
You can add my 9 yo dd to the mix

And my 7 year old.... who has been diagnosed with ADHD but that was with a host of other symptoms.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:39 am
Challenging
Work from both ends
She may be very sensitive but that doesn’t negate her experience.
Helping her grow and strengthen internally as well as the external as you are doing
Let go of the truth of it for now and empathize and listen…it’s real to her…validate her feelings while not legitimizing concrete reality view that May be skewed through her filter…look for other opportunities to explore and reality check as well

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:43 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
Challenging
Work from both ends
Helping her grow and strengthen internally as well as the external as you are doing
Let go of the truth of it for now and empathize and listen…it’s real to her…validate her feelings while not legitimizing concrete reality view that May be skewed through her filter…look for other opportunities to explore and reality check as well

I don't want to take over this thread but this issue causes myself as the mom so much heartache and stress

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:44 am
amother Emerald wrote:

Wow. I can’t believe my 10 YO DD behavior has a name. What is the treatment for this?

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:50 am
amother Stone wrote:
I don't want to take over this thread but this issue causes myself as the mom so much heartache and stress

It can be challenging to parent a sensitive child; at the same time we keep in mind these children tend to become amazing adults. Hopefully gets easier as she matures.
Find ways to get support and help you stay grounded and strong.
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 11:52 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
It can be challenging to parent a sensitive child; at the same time we keep in mind these children tend to become amazing adults. Hopefully gets easier as she matures.
Find ways to get support and help you stay grounded and strong.
Hugs and hatzlocha

Thank you for your kind words. Do you work with children that have this issue? You sound very knowledgeable in this. Thank you for posting here

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 12:51 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Challenging
Work from both ends
She may be very sensitive but that doesn’t negate her experience.

Thanks for this!

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 12:53 pm
This sounds exactly like my 7 year old son (who the school says is friendly and doing great lol)
We are teaching him to stand up for himself when people say mean things. It's very important and goes a long way.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Stone wrote:

Yes it's very difficult as a mother. It hurts every time they cry and you just wish you can hug her and protect her all day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children