Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Difference between GE oven in shabbos mode vs zman keeper
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 7:58 am
New ge oven and the light turns on when the door is open. Shabbos mode solves that problem.
What are the benefits of using the zman technology device over putting the oven on shabbos mode? (Aside for the fact that the zman keeper turns oven on to 350 for a few hours on yt - I don’t need that- I cook before)

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 8:10 am
I have the zman keeper on my fridge, don’t know if it’s the same.
But it puts the fridge on shabbos mode on its own, every week, every erev yom tov and doesn’t need input from me, so there’s no forgetting. It keeps the light on, thr ice maker off, the front panel not pressable. I installed it once and forgot about it. I’m very satisfied with it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 8:32 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
I have the zman keeper on my fridge, don’t know if it’s the same.
But it puts the fridge on shabbos mode on its own, every week, every erev yom tov and doesn’t need input from me, so there’s no forgetting. It keeps the light on, thr ice maker off, the front panel not pressable. I installed it once and forgot about it. I’m very satisfied with it.

With the oven keeper it asks you every Friday afternoon if you want it to go into shabbos mode. You have to press start on your oven or if doesn’t turn on.
I might forget on my fridge but I would never forget the oven because I’m always busy with putting the food in the oven right before shabbos and making sure it’s set so that we’ll have warm food to eat 2 hours later.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 9:38 am
Bump
If anyone has any knowledge about this

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 10:03 am
I don't think it has a practical difference for you, the user. It is a halachic preference. There are several halachic leniencies that regular shabbos mode relies on which the zman switch eliminates.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 10:04 am
amother Tulip wrote:
I don't think it has a practical difference for you, the user. It is a halachic preference. There are several halachic leniencies that regular shabbos mode relies on which the zman switch eliminates.

Thank you for that explanation.
Are you referring to the thermostat being deactivated when the door is open?

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 10:41 am
I don't know all the details but I know that it is more fully automated in several ways. I do believe the thermostat is one of those things.

estreya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:03 pm
We are looking into this also as I am getting a new oven. From what I understood, with the Zman Keeper for the oven, there are two main advantages over just the Shabbos mode:

1. The settings for the Zman Keeper allow you to open your oven on Shabbos more than just once throughout Shabbos;

2. On YT, the oven is set at a lower temperature and then self raises to 350F (I think) for about 3 to 4 hours to allow you to cook at a specified time and then goes back to the lower temperature.

Look at the info on their page zman keeper. I think there is a video also.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:05 pm
Can you open it on shabbos morning to heat things up?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:19 pm
I don’t know anything about zman keeper but you can’t place food in an oven on shabbos, no matter the mode.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:20 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
I don’t know anything about zman keeper but you can’t place food in an oven on shabbos, no matter the mode.

I think cooked food might be okay only if you have the zman keeper. Definitely not a regular oven.

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:26 pm
You should ask a rav. Putting food in an oven Shabbos is very problematic. Zman keeper can help with putting food in oven on Yom Tov and removing food on shabbos that you already put in Friday afternoon. If rabbi says you may put food in oven you can disregard what I told you.

estreya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think cooked food might be okay only if you have the zman keeper. Definitely not a regular oven.

I know you definitely wouldn't be allowed to put in anything, even if set on regular Shabbos mode, after Shabbos starts.

I haven't heard anything about it being ok using Zman Keeper. If it was ok, that would significantly change things. I guess one would need to check with the authorities who approved Zman Keeper to begin with (and, of course, their rav).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:05 pm
estreya wrote:
I know you definitely wouldn't be allowed to put in anything, even if set on regular Shabbos mode, after Shabbos starts.

I haven't heard anything about it being ok using Zman Keeper. If it was ok, that would significantly change things. I guess one would need to check with the authorities who approved Zman Keeper to begin with (and, of course, their rav).

You are correct. You definitely cannot put anything in the oven when it’s on shabbos mode after shabbos starts.

The zman technology device might allow that,
Which is one advantage of using it.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you open it on shabbos morning to heat things up?

Of course not! That would be cooking on shabbos.

amother
Iris

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:49 pm
Acc to their site
Using strict halachic guidelines, Zman Technologies developed a unique method, allowing the door to be opened and closed without affecting the heating or other functions.

If you hold you’re allowed to use a warming drawer I don’t see how it’s different than a warming drawer in regards to putting ur food in the oven shabbos morning. I have a friend that puts all her dry food in warming drawer shabbos morning after speaking to a rav.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 3:04 pm
The ou and the crc are the ones who gave the kosher certification after studying the way it works.
The fact that the oven doesn’t turn off on Friday night and stays on the whole shabbos with the zman keeper is probably because using it on shabbos day is permitted.
It is NOT the same as shabbos mode!!
The oven door can be opened throughout shabbos with the zman device.
I will call the rabbanim listed on the kosher certification page to confirm.

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 3:21 pm
Whoever calls can you please post what they say? If we are able to use it similiar to a hot plate or warming drawer then that would be game changing for shabbos day!

The reason why warming drawers many don't hold by is becaue placing the food in it on shabbos day causes the heating element to work harder. If this zman technology bypasses that perhaps we can use it as a warming drawer.

estreya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 3:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
The ou and the crc are the ones who gave the kosher certification after studying the way it works.
The fact that the oven doesn’t turn off on Friday night and stays on the whole shabbos with the zman keeper is probably because using it on shabbos day is permitted.

Correct, OP, NOT same as Shabbos mode.

Please let us know what you find out.

Thanks! Gut Shabbos.

lasagna

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

This is incorrect. The reason is doesn't shut off is because someone may want t o put a food in the oven friday before shabbos and leave it there until shabbos morning (like cholent).
You may however open the oven on shabbos to remove the chicken and keep the cholent in the oven, which you may not do on a regular shabbos mode.
Regular shabbos mode requires you to remove everything from the oven at once.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen