Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kid is obsessed with food
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:27 am
A lot of people here don’t seem to understand obsessions. I Bless you all to never understand this, but you have to understand the difference between normal “he enjoys food” and obsession levels with food.
This is not healthy, but blaming mom, talking about it to him, limiting his food, or putting him in cooking classes won’t help.
It’s coming from somewhere deep inside his body. Trauma, massive gut issues or brain inflammation are some of my guesses.
The problem is that it is really difficult to find the root cause for all of these. It can be anything.
I’m wishing you lots of hatzlacha. Mama, don’t let anyone gaslight you into thinking this is normal, or even worst that it’s your fault. It’s not.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:20 am
Look into MH as well. How is he otherwise? Anxious? Obsessive? Controlling?
I would take him to a doc but after that it could be an obsession that needs help. He is a kid and this is not a normal way to act or react about food. This is an abnormal fixation.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:56 pm
tichellady wrote:
most people have some symptoms of adhd, it's only a disorder when it's really affecting your life, but we all have our quirks, impulses and things we can focus on and things we find impossible

No, most of us don't. Having quirks and things we can focus on easily and other things we find impossible is not the definition of adhd. People who really have it, have it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Oh gosh… you really should first go to medical school before you start throwing out all these terms.
All op said is that he loves food. And you diagnose.
Did she say he has limited intelligence or shortness in height? Did she say that he’s obese? That’s prader willi.
You have already thrown out so many different textbook terminologies. Please…

No, she said she's worried but doesn't know what it is and her gut instinct is that there's something off.

The kindest thing to do here is give her leads to chase not poo-poo her concerns and tell her it's all fine when clearly she thinks it's not.

Op I know a child very similar to this. Did all kinds of medical and holistic testing - including for prayer willi even tho child isn't short! Only conclusive result is ADHD. But that's still something.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
No, most of us don't. Having quirks and things we can focus on easily and other things we find impossible is not the definition of adhd. People who really have it, have it.

I don’t think you understood her post. You are agreeing with her.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
No, she said she's worried but doesn't know what it is and her gut instinct is that there's something off.

The kindest thing to do here is give her leads to chase not poo-poo her concerns and tell her it's all fine when clearly she thinks it's not.

Op I know a child very similar to this. Did all kinds of medical and holistic testing - including for prayer willi even tho child isn't short! Only conclusive result is ADHD. But that's still something.

Suggesting Prader Willi was 0% helpful.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:23 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Suggesting Prader Willi was 0% helpful.
It's not very likely that he actually has this disorder, but understanding what causes the insatiable appetite and food obsessions in prader willi can help her understand what's happening with her child. Also if you look up prader willi you will see that like most genetic disorders, there is a large spectrum of presentation, including mild, and not everyone will have all the symptoms. And Since most people with food obsessions are NOT tested for genetic prader willi, we don't actually know how many of them potentially carry one of the genes?

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:26 pm
It could also be sensory seeking.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:42 pm
amother Peony wrote:
It's not very likely that he actually has this disorder, but understanding what causes the insatiable appetite and food obsessions in prader willi can help her understand what's happening with her child. Also if you look up prader willi you will see that like most genetic disorders, there is a large spectrum of presentation, including mild, and not everyone will have all the symptoms. And Since most people with food obsessions are NOT tested for genetic prader willi, we don't actually know how many of them potentially carry one of the genes?

Did you test your always hungry child for this?

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:45 pm
amother Peony wrote:

Because her son is not a research object. If her son has none of the problematic indicators of Prader Willi, testing for it serves no benefit to OP.

Adding to this - a syndrome is a cluster of symptoms, by definition.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Did you test your always hungry child for this?
No because this child has other things going on that explain the always hungry.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:05 pm
SuperWify wrote:
A little foodie you have there. Sounds like he’ll make a really good chef. I’d send him to cooking classes, honestly.

I can't agree with this enough. Channel those interests!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:30 pm
amother Peony wrote:

Just curious, amother Peony, what medical degree do you possess that you are throwing all this medical information out there?
MD? RN? PA? Nurse Practiotioner?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:38 pm
I couldn't stop laughing reading OP because you described my 11 yo son to the t! Even the personality! He is adorable!!

I just took him to buy a new suit and not everything fit quite right. He didn't look too happy. When we left he started asking me how he can lose some weight ( not overweight, just fuller) and I told him after supper to try and only drink when he feels hungry. It worked for a day Very Happy

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Just curious, amother Peony, what medical degree do you possess that you are throwing all this medical information out there?
MD? RN? PA? Nurse Practiotioner?
My experience is my expertise.

Anyways, I don’t understand this resistance to information. First off, if it doesn’t resonate with OP she can pass right by. As can you. But clearly there is something going on with op’s child. Why shouldn’t she be armed with the most information possible? What’s the harm in ruling things out? Like I said, I will not be shocked at all and obviously quite relieved if a test for pws comes back negative, but at least that was ruled out. Besides, most drs are not at all lab happy. They won’t run the test if there isn’t sufficient reason.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:51 pm
Out of curiosity, have you offered him gum? My mother feels the need to have something in her mouth and chews gum. She does have adhd. Undiagnosed.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:52 pm
amother Peony wrote:

Anyways, I don’t understand this resistance to information. First off, if it doesn’t resonate with OP she can pass right by. As can you. But clearly there is something going on with op’s child. Why shouldn’t she be armed with the most information possible? What’s the harm in ruling things out? Like I said, I will not be shocked at all and obviously quite relieved if a test for pws comes back negative, but at least that was ruled out. Besides, most drs are not at all lab happy. They won’t run the test if there isn’t sufficient reason.

Suggesting prader Willie when a child is obsessed with food is like suggesting cancer when someone says they have migraines.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:56 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Suggesting prader Willie when a child is obsessed with food is like suggesting cancer when someone says they have migraines.
I don’t see it the same way at all.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Peony wrote:

No one under any circumstances should ever listen to " medical advice" from a layperson without running it by a true Medical professional. It is wrong of you to throw Medical jargon around as if you have the credentials to do so. You could scare people, or worse, perhaps, people will ( foolishly), listen to you, assuming that you have a Medical degree, when clearly you don't.

You should have put that out there when you started throwing out potential Medical diagnosis, without having spent one day in school. Your "expertise" does not qualify you to dispense Medical advice. It could be extremely dangerous.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:04 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
No one under any circumstances should ever listen to " medical advice" from a layperson without running it by a true Medical professional. It is wrong of you to throw Medical jargon around as if you have the credentials to do so. You could scare people, or worse, perhaps, people will ( foolishly), listen to you, assuming that you have a Medical degree, when clearly you don't.

You should have put that out there when you started throwing out potential Medical diagnosis, without having spent one day in school. Your "expertise" does not qualify you to dispense Medical advice. It could be extremely dangerous.
If OP was looking for strictly medical advice she would have gone to a doctor. She was crowdsourcing.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children