Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
11yo DD won't get out of bed on time

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 8:18 am
I can't be the only one with this problem.

11yo DD struggles to get out of bed in the morning. She goes to bed in good time and says it's not that she's tired but that she doesn't want to go to school because it's borning. There was some trouble at school a couple of months ago (behaviour problems of other kids badly managed by teachers) but that seems to have passed for now so there are no specific issues.

We went through a phase like this 18 months or so ago and we got over it by me telling her that if she would not get up on time I'd have to put her on the bottom bunk (which she doesn't prefer) so that was enough incentive for her to get up, but now I can't think of anything meaningful to use as in incentive.

She already knows if she has not eaten breakfast by the time we have to leave, she'll have to have bread sticks or crackers en route instead of cereals as she prefers but this doesn't serve as enough of an incentive. She gets very angry and yells and generally has a bad attitude if this happens though.

What do other people do? I'm trying to find the right way to handle it but it usually ends with her yelling and sometimes also me. I start of with the usual gentle "It's tome to get up," then lots of reminders which she gets increasingly angry about.

I have tried speaking to her at a different time of day when she is in a good mood and have asked her what she thinks the solution could be, and she didn't come up with anything. I have to drive all the kids to school together, so I can't let her be late and make problems for the others.

8yo DS is now starting with this too, with the extra "complaint" of "sister isn't up yet so why should I get up?"

Help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children