Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Firing contractor in middle of the job.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:41 pm
Does anyone have any experience with this? We hired someone to do some work for us. The price was a little under $5000. We paid half so far. I estimate he's half way done.The job should take approximately 1 week.

The guy came with his worker for the first day all day. For the last month it's like pulling teeth. He barley shows up, completely ignores my texts for days, frequently texts me he'll be here tomorrow and then doesn't show up.

The job started before pesach and there's no end in site. If he'd come for 2 or 3 full days he'd be finished.

I want to get rid of him but I have 2 concerns.

1. He's not Jewish and what if he's crazy? I'm sure he'll be mad and I don't know what he'll do.

2. I'm sure he'll say he's more than halfway done with the job and we owe him money. It doesn't look like that's true, but I expect him to say it regardless.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

SG18

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:04 pm
I think that being concerned that he'll attack you is a non-issue. Clients cancel services. Just because he isn't Jewish doesn't mean he's violent.
I can't answer the rest, but wanted to put this out there.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:09 pm
He probably has another client with a bigger job. But as long as you owe him money, he at least has some incentive to come back to finish. What will it cost you to get someone else to finish the job?

I have a recent client who almost fired their contractor for not taking care of some significant problems. It was a little scary because the contractor made anti-Semitic and threatening comments in an email to them, but in the end they stayed with him.

Keep good written records — that includes texts. State your position and concerns accurately. Do not get emotional.

balance

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:10 pm
Where is your contract? Did you sign when he would finish?

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 6:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with this? We hired someone to do some work for us. The price was a little under $5000. We paid half so far. I estimate he's half way done.The job should take approximately 1 week.

The guy came with his worker for the first day all day. For the last month it's like pulling teeth. He barley shows up, completely ignores my texts for days, frequently texts me he'll be here tomorrow and then doesn't show up.

The job started before pesach and there's no end in site. If he'd come for 2 or 3 full days he'd be finished.

I want to get rid of him but I have 2 concerns.

1. He's not Jewish and what if he's crazy? I'm sure he'll be mad and I don't know what he'll do.

2. I'm sure he'll say he's more than halfway done with the job and we owe him money. It doesn't look like that's true, but I expect him to say it regardless.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Had a very similar issue with exactly same concerns. I stayed with him and he ended up completing the job. It was scary. They can really do scary stuff when the get angry.
A [gentile] is a [gentile] is a [gentile]. Throw tomatoes but its true.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 6:41 pm
They can decide you didn’t pay for the work they did and rip the work out. I would be nervous to just hire someone else.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:11 pm
I have a similar issue that I want advice on.

My contractor is frum and goes to our shul. I already paid him for the job. He started last August and hasn't finished yet even though he told us it was a 2 week job a month max. He hasn't shown up since 2 weeks b4 pesach and when he was showing up it was for only an hour or so a day. I want to get our money back and have someone else finish bc I really need my second bathroom back. He's about 3/4 of the way done.

esuss

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:17 pm
Is there such a thing as signing a contract with expected time it will take ie one week? And if it’s not done on time they take something off the amount you owe? There should be some leeway as some delays are unavoidable.

I am asking as I may want some work done on my house and want to know what is expected.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:52 pm
I wouldn't fire him until I knew I had someone else who for sure would finish the job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics