Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey schools
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:38 pm
My friend whose moving to Monsey in july is hardly trying to put into bais rochel, a nice chassidish family (with big pull), but somehow it's impossible.
Was thinking, how do families get into schools in Monsey?

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:44 pm
Too many people don’t have schools. I’m still in need of a school (I live here). We’re unaffiliated chassidish. But we’re not chassidish enough for chassidish schools and too chassidish for non chassidish schools.

I’m frum and ehrlich with strong values, yet I somehow don’t belong in Klal yisroel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Too many people don’t have schools. I’m still in need of a school (I live here). We’re unaffiliated chassidish. But we’re not chassidish enough for chassidish schools and too chassidish for non chassidish schools.

I’m frum and ehrlich with strong values, yet I somehow don’t belong in Klal yisroel.

My friend wouldn't Hear of sending to bdy. Her rav which is closely affiliated with bais rochel has a tough time to get her a spot. Pupa bobov satmar and belz won't take her, she isn't their chusidus. So hard

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:07 pm
Bais Shifra Miriam?

amother Oleander wrote:

I have a neighbor who grew up in Monsey and now belongs to a chassidus that doesn't have a girls school. She is perfectly chassidish, dresses according to all tznius rules of all chassidish schools here, and also doesn't have a school for her 3yo. It's not a matter or "being chassidish enough for chassidish schools and too chassidish for non chassidish schools". Unfortunately, the schools aren't growing as fast as the city. My heart goes out to all parents struggling to place their children in the right schools.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:10 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Bais Shifra Miriam?

I have a neighbor who grew up in Monsey and now belongs to a chassidus that doesn't have a girls school. She is perfectly chassidish, dresses according to all tznius rules of all chassidish schools here, and also doesn't have a school for her 3yo. It's not a matter or "being chassidish enough for chassidish schools and too chassidish for non chassidish schools". Unfortunately, the schools aren't growing as fast as the city. My heart goes out to all parents struggling to place their children in the right schools.

BsM won't take her either.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:17 pm
Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to get kids in to schools, especially if you don't belong to a specific sect. Schools are literally bursting at their seems without an extra inch. Even their own graduates have a hard time getting accepted. I don't think it's smart to move before the kids are in school. It's unfair to the kids. I do know several families that their kids travel back and fortn to Brooklyn for school every day. One family ended up moving back because they didn't get accepted to school.

esuss

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:22 pm
The developers should be building a school for every new development that they build.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:07 pm
Bsm has plenty room but they won’t accept if the family doesn’t match the type they’re looking for.

anonymous mom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:12 pm
What about Kesser Bais Yakov? I know several chasidish very nice families who send their girls there.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:55 pm
It’s very hard with schools and the mosdos feel like families should look for schools before they move…

Would she send to anti-vax schools?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:04 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
It’s very hard with schools and the mosdos feel like families should look for schools before they move…

Would she send to anti-vax schools?

But if the argument is that there just aren't enough schools, how does this make sense? They can't look for schools if there aren't enough placements.

Essentially, we are saying that no one should move. Everyone must stay put because of the school crisis. But then again, there are a number of people within the own communities that don't have schools either. So what's the plan? We keep more and more kids home every year, and we wait for some magician to do something about it?

Where are all the asifas and outcries about the lack of schools for our kids? Where are all the Rabbonim and askonim in all this? In the long run, not being accepted into schools will do much more harm to our children than any smartphone can ever do.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:06 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
But if the argument is that there just aren't enough schools, how does this make sense? They can't look for schools if there aren't enough placements.

Essentially, we are saying that no one should move. Everyone must stay put because of the school crisis. But then again, there are a number of people within the own communities that don't have schools either. So what's the plan? We keep more and more kids home every year, and we wait for some magician to do something about it?

Where are all the asifas and outcries about the lack of schools for our kids? Where are all the Rabbonim and askonim in all this? In the long run, not being accepted into schools will do much more harm to our children than any smartphone can ever do.

They can choose to send to schools where they claim it’s not an option.
Munkatch and bdy are easy to get into. Might not be first choice for them but better than keeping the kids home.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:07 am
Maybe kesser bais yaakov would be good for her?
Similar to bais rochel parent body, but still new and not so big.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:08 am
amother Tan wrote:
Bsm has plenty room but they won’t accept if the family doesn’t match the type they’re looking for.

What a beautiful Torah'dig concept. To deprive children of a chinuch and an education because they aren't a perfect match to a certain type.

Hashem is mighty proud I'm sure. He watches how we shut the door in children's faces. He sees the tears of the unwanted children/parents - and He's shepping great nachas watching us stand by our self-righteous misguided principles and push his children away. All in His name of course.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:11 am
amother Marigold wrote:
Maybe kesser bais yaakov would be good for her?
Similar to bais rochel parent body, but still new and not so big.

They are full to capacity . Extremely hard to get into

amother
Lily

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:13 am
What a beautiful Torah'dig concept. To deprive children of a chinuch and an education because they aren't a perfect match to a certain type.

Hashem is mighty proud I'm sure. He watches how we shut the door in children's faces. He sees the tears of the unwanted children/parents - and He's shepping great nachas watching us stand by our self-righteous misguided principles and push his children away. All in His name of course.

They have a certain way so does every other school u need to fit criteria to get into them. I think a school that you can only get into with $50,000 doe payment is way worse

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:17 am
amother Lily wrote:
They have a certain way so does every other school u need to fit criteria to get into them. I think a school that you can only get into with $50,000 doe payment is way worse

All of it is equally bad - each in its own way.

To push people away because they're not a perfect match is very wrong. Of course there needs to be criteria, but it shouldn't be so rigid and inflexible. Prior to recent years, there was almost always a healthy mix in our schools. These rigid criteria is a new invention.

To award slots by bribery or extortion is just as wrong. One wrong doesn't whitewash the other.

None of this is the Torah'dig way.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:17 am

I belong to Belz and send there. Honestly, I would be upset if Belz starts accepting families that don't fit into this kind of school. Its not such a funny thing that a mosdos school will have strict bounds when it comes to fremda ppl not from their crowd. And yes they save their slots for their Chassidus, which I don't think is so absurd.
I think Monsey is missing a lot of Nuetral schools that Brooklyn has.
FYI Lubavitch school will never tell you no

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:26 am
I feel like everyone keeps putting garbage on bdy , after all they are the only school who open their hands on all hashems kids disregardless ... it's sickening how the world keeps seeing so much tragedy yet the only explanations the rabanim say to these tragedies is smartphones and tznius... where is vohavta lrechu kemochu? Especially now in sefira, and starting at the rabanim and heads themselves who refuse entry to innocent kids cuz their parents are not the perfect cookie cutter shape?
When Hitler killed 6 million jews he saw us as jews and the that was enough, not as so called labeled nerds or balei batim.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:27 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
I belong to Belz and send there. Honestly, I would be upset if Belz starts accepting families that don't fit into this kind of school. Its not such a funny thing that a mosdos school will have strict bounds when it comes to fremda ppl not from their crowd. And yes they save their slots for their Chassidus, which I don't think is so absurd.
I think Monsey is missing a lot of Nuetral schools that Brooklyn has.
FYI Lubavitch school will never tell you no

Exactly - it's the parents who are the problem. It's the parents who don't want to parent properly, so instead they have resorted to manipulate their kids environment to be only inclusive of a certain type. This way they don't have to provide a proper chinuch for their children. They don't need to provide insight to their actions, they don't need to teach their children why they chose a certain path. If everyone around them follows suit, their children don't know anything different. So they don't ask, and they don't need to be taught much.

That isn't something to be proud of, imo. If your version of yiddishkeit can't hold up to any exposure, then there's something very wrong with that. FTR, I'm not referring to extremes here. I'm referring to merely stepping one foot aside either way. If a family does one thing different than the other families, then the parents get hysterical and push that family out of the schools.

Is this is what the Torah is all about? Do we even think that this is what yiddishkeit calls for? That we can't even mingle with our own brethren who are only slightly different than you? If they wear slightly different clothes than you, or her parents have different backgrounds than you, does that mean the kids can't mingle with each other and be in the same school?

As I said earlier - I'm sure Hashem is mighty proud of this.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating