Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
FREE kids books
1  2  3  Next

Gittu

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:33 pm
I found a non profit organization that sends adorable children's books monthly in the mail. They are called PJ library. They send each child their own book that is appropriate for their age!
Best part is that it's absolutely FREE!
I am sure your kids will love it as much as mine do!

esuss

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:38 pm
Please beware that there are a lot of anti Torah ideas in these books. And I am not referring to Zionist views more like the woke mentality.

rachel22

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:42 pm
Yes I had this about 9 years ago. Canceled when I realized what kind of books it was

mikayla18

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:44 pm
So many of the books are great. You should just censor them before handing them to your children.

naomi2

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:50 pm
At a certain point we had to stop. The values were not Torah values

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:09 pm
There was not one book I deemed appropriate for my kids. I had to cancel since I was not impressed at all.

gr82no

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:16 pm
Gittu wrote:
I found a non profit organization that sends adorable children's books monthly in the mail. They are called PJ library. They send each child their own book that is appropriate for their age!

I see this was already reported but I saw a post saying to sign up for pj library on a local chat today. I wonder if it was you.Do you get something for promoting them?

Last edited by gr82no on Tue, May 02 2023, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Ma3

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:18 pm
I think they have appropriate books just for the younger age group. I signed up my 9 yr old and canceled.

goldcamry

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:19 pm
These books are perfect if your family is reform and woke (ch'v). If you are orthodox and not woke, you will probably find 95% of the books they send highly inappropriate for your children. My children did get a few books that are sold in the seforim stores that they did enjoy, though. Proceed with extreme caution.

happy7

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:20 pm
The books represent families that are not keeping Torah and Mitzvos.

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:44 pm
goldcamry wrote:
These books are perfect if your family is reform and woke (ch'v). If you are orthodox and not woke, you will probably find 95% of the books they send highly inappropriate for your children. My children did get a few books that are sold in the seforim stores that they did enjoy, though. Proceed with extreme caution.

Can I ask what “woke” and “highly inappropriate” things you’ve gotten? I guess we’ve had a few (but not many) that show girls wearing pants, but I haven’t seen anything super alarming to me. Many have been pretty nice and books I often see recommended on here.

LEMON

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:47 pm
I threw quite a few books in the trash already. Kept some real young kids books.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:50 pm
Quote:
Can I ask what “woke” and “highly inappropriate” things you’ve gotten? I guess we’ve had a few (but not many) that show girls wearing pants, but I haven’t seen anything super alarming to me. Many have been pretty nice and books I often see recommended on here.

I received a book where the main character had two "mommys"
There was at least one , maybe more, where they are celebrating shabbos by doing things on shabbos that violate shabbos
There was one where the mother and father were different religions
That's just the few I remember. I would guess that in the 10 years I've been receiving books I've kept about 10. I'm too lazy to figure out how to cancel

jewishmommy1

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:58 pm
gr82no wrote:
I see this was already reported but I saw a post saying to sign up for pj library on a local chat today. I wonder if it was you.Do you get something for promoting them?

There is in fact a promotion going on if people sign up using your link.
We get the books and throw many out. I read every single book cover to cover before a kid touches it, including the blurbs on the covers. If it's a great book like for the older kids, I put in the effort to censor it- whiting out inappropriate words or material.

devorah1231

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 12:45 am
We throw out about 50%, we read each one cover to cover. I get for 3 kids. The toddler picture books ones ate less often problematic.

I would cancel but there are some advantages:

The back flap of each picture book has an activity, we tear those off
They send nice extras, like a tzedaka box once, another time a customizable sticker calendar, etc
The books that are good are thin and space saving and since free, no pain to toss

LittleDucky

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 1:25 am
Gittu wrote:

FYI I believe as per forum rules- You cannot post a sign up link. They are giving out Amazon gift cards if you get people to sign up with your link.

effess

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 1:32 am
Everything unkosher needs to be kosher sometimes to make ppl think it’s not so terrible.
They’ve given a few hachai books, and other very frum books.
And the rest are mostly unkosher with some sprinkles of Jewishness in them.
Your kids deserve better.
They are so innocent and pure, why ruin that with free books?

Happy247

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 1:39 am
effess wrote:
Everything unkosher needs to be kosher sometimes to make ppl think it’s not so terrible.
They’ve given a few hachai books, and other very frum books.
And the rest are mostly unkosher with some sprinkles of Jewishness in them.
Your kids deserve better.
They are so innocent and pure, why ruin that with free books?

As the saying goes "chinem bakimt men kinem" (for free you get lice...")

Nothing in life is free there are strings attached 99% of the time.

papermageling

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:03 am
Just look through them first. Most of the little kid books are okay, but some are not, even by very modern standards (mostly when they're just inaccurate about Judaism).

Also, a lot of them are just not very good.

We also get books from Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, and those are mostly excellent. High quality and uncontroversial. Only from birth til age 5 though.

teachkids

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:51 am
They're hit or miss. I throw out a few. And the rest I don't consider Jewish necessarily but they're no worse than Daniel tiger or fairy tales my kids love.
My kids are young though so they're mostly board books and we do change the words on some of them
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains