Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
FREE kids books
Previous  1  2  3

scruffy

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 10:45 am
zaq wrote:
Yes, they have an agenda: to get unaffiliated Jewish families interested in Judaism. Maybe to make little children from backgrounds other than the typical New York Ashkenazi feel that their dark skin or slanty eyes or atypical families don't disqualify them from being part of the Jewish people. How dreadful!

I really like that the PJ Library books have ethnic diversity.

I don't know of any picture books put out by the standard frum publishers showing Black, Asian, or Hispanic kids (if anyone knows of any, please let me know!)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 10:57 am
challahchallah wrote:
Can I ask what “woke” and “highly inappropriate” things you’ve gotten? I guess we’ve had a few (but not many) that show girls wearing pants, but I haven’t seen anything super alarming to me. Many have been pretty nice and books I often see recommended on here.

Haven't read the whole thread yet so I don't know if anyone else brought this up: Have you seen other PJ threads on Imamother?

And welcome!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:02 am
zaq wrote:
Yes, they have an agenda: to get unaffiliated Jewish families interested in Judaism. Maybe to make little children from backgrounds other than the typical New York Ashkenazi feel that their dark skin or slanty eyes or atypical families don't disqualify them from being part of the Jewish people. How dreadful!

It's to get them interested in a Judaism that beH they will some day realizes is shallow and counterfeit. I don't want to be harsh but there's no way I would kosherize a treif book. What's the point.
Heather Chayala Has Two MommiesParents?

BTW, secular names don't faze me.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:03 am
scruffy wrote:
I really like that the PJ Library books have ethnic diversity.

I don't know of any picture books put out by the standard frum publishers showing Black, Asian, or Hispanic kids (if anyone knows of any, please let me know!)

Good point. There are some books with handicapped kids. But more are needed, and books where the kids are regular charachters, not the point of the story.
But that's just the beginning.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains