Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Coronation king Charles III
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:30 pm
So, first thing first, it is on Shabbos... Like can Rav Mirvis not join? Why did they do that? Also there are Jewish Lords en Ladies, don't know if they are frum... I so desperatley want to watch it over Shabbos LOL
Anyhoo who is following the preparations? Will Meg and Harry come?

nightingale1

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:37 pm
It says here he’s going to walk
https://www.reuters.com/world/.....5-02/

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:44 pm
Rabbi Mervis was invited to stay at Clarance House over Shabbos to allow him to participate in the coronation. I suppose he'll daven at an early minyan, timed to allow him to be in place for his part in the procession.

Harry is coming, but will fly back immediately afterwards, without staying for the celebrations.

I suppose it will be available to watch on libe afterwards, but I would have liked a chance to watch live as well.

Thinking of serving Coronation Quiche on Shabbos afternoon!

zaq

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:50 pm
The proceedings will surely be recorded and available online for your watching pleasure.

As you are no doubt aware, England is a Christian domain . There is little to no incentive for the king to take the interests of a very small minority of sabbath-observant Jews into account when planning the biggest day of his life. It's his coronation, not theirs. Furthermore, the coronation is a Christian ceremony, with the king taking his place not only as titular head of the country but as titular head of the Church of England, in Westminster Abbey--a church. The ceremony is conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is second only to the king in the ranks of the church and is really the top banana, since the king isn't a clergyman, only a figurehead.

With all this rampant churchiness, I'm not sure how appropriate or even permissible it would be for the Chief Rabbi to attend even if the ceremony were on a weekday.

Ok, so he's going to walk. Is he going to go into the church, I hope not?

A1MUM

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:54 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:00 pm
zaq wrote:
With all this rampant churchiness, I'm not sure how appropriate or even permissible it would be for the Chief Rabbi to attend even if the ceremony were on a weekday.

Um, yes, he is. I think he did for the Queens funeral, as well.

I forget who gave the psak but there is an accepted psak that the Cheif Rabbi may enter a church when his presence is required on State occasions. You don't get an occasion much bigger than the Coronation.

Interestingly, he heads the procession of clergy, so that he will not be following the cross!

Amarante

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Rabbi Mervis was invited to stay at Clarance House over Shabbos to allow him to participate in the coronation. I suppose he'll daven at an early minyan, timed to allow him to be in place for his part in the procession.

Harry is coming, but will fly back immediately afterwards, without staying for the celebrations.

I suppose it will be available to watch on libe afterwards, but I would have liked a chance to watch live as well.

Thinking of serving Coronation Quiche on Shabbos afternoon!

I have some recipes for Coronation Chicken Smile

mzybas

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:04 pm
So he will be giving a "blessing", but no micrphone b/c shabbos

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:08 pm
Here's an article from the Jerusalem Post where he explains what he will be doing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.....9/amp

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:09 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have some recipes for Coronation Chicken Smile

The kosher version?

keym

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:12 pm
My husband showed me that there are many many shailos utshuvos written about this topic.
There were delegates of Rabbis or the Chief Rabbi (whichever was applicable) at all coronations for centuries in all countries. They were required to declare fealty.
Here, at least the Rabbi isn't expected to kneel in prayer and I believe I read that his declaration will be without a microphone out of respect.
I'm sure the Czars and emperors and Caisers were way less respectful when they expected the Rabbis or delegations.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:15 pm
Elfrida wrote:
The kosher version?

Yes - A lot of the versions are not made with a cream sauce - at least the ones I have been stashing. But obviously you can't serve with Coronation Quiche. I had read that Charles had request quiche for the buffet

My interest in Coronation Chicken recipes dates back well before this coronation as I was reading a historical novel which took place in London around the time of Elizabeth's coronation and they mentioned it as being part of the menu so I was intrigued enough to investigate.

I have been saving it for a "lady's lunch" type of thing.

I think the most difficult part is finding kosher mango chutney.

There are simpler variations which seem to be what are curried chicken salads

Coronation Chicken

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

3 to 4pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt, as needed
Fresh black pepper, as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter - sub plant butter
1 large yellow onion, diced
½ cup red wine
6 tablespoons mango chutney
¼ cup tomato purée
3 tablespoons curry powder
Juice of ½ lemon
1 fresh or dried bay leaf
1 cup mayonnaise
3 ounces dried apricots, finely chopped (about 15 apricots)

PREPARATION

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Rub chicken on all sides with olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until skin is golden and meat is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Let chicken cool slightly, then remove skin and bones and chop meat into bite-size pieces. Set aside.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the red wine, mango chutney, tomato purée, curry powder, lemon juice and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat as necessary, until sauce is quite thick, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; remove and discard bay leaf.

Transfer sauce to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature, then add the mayonnaise and stir to combine. Add the cooled chicken and the apricots and stir to coat them in the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For sandwiches, spread the chicken salad on thick slices of English white bread or seven-grain bread. Cut off crusts if making finger sandwiches for tea.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:21 pm
Here is a brief article on Coronation Chicken and how it has evolved from the original cream based dish. Although with all of the vegan foods available, you could probably make an 1953 version using vegan cream instead of the modern use of mayonnaise

What Is Coronation Chicken? The History Behind the Dish.

This curried chicken salad recipe with a regal history is well worth making for coronation watching and beyond, Melissa Clark writes.

No matter how you feel about King Charles III and Queen Camilla’s recently revealed signature quiche, it seems unlikely to eclipse the most famous coronation dish of all — coronation chicken.

Created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, the posh, delicately flavored chicken has, like Britain itself, changed a bit since. What was originally an aristocratic paragon of classic French technique has been democratized into a weeknight-easy chicken salad. Though enormously popular in Britain as a sandwich filling and baked-potato topper, this ocher-tinted, raisin-studded dish would be unrecognizable to any of the 350 dignitaries who partook of its regal ancestor.

The original, developed at the Cordon Bleu culinary school in London, was called “poulet Reine Elizabeth.” A dish of cold poached chicken in a rose-hued sauce made from red wine, mayonnaise, whipped cream, apricot purée and a faint whiff of curry powder, it was served alongside a pea-studded rice salad at a coronation banquet to the queen’s honored guests (but not likely to the queen herself).

Sejal Sukhadwala, a London-based food writer and author of “The Philosophy of Curry,” describes that dish as shaped by French cuisine with a nod toward colonial India, and based on the jubilee chicken created in 1935 for George V, who, like his grandmother Queen Victoria, had a penchant for curries.

“The curry powder in coronation chicken was probably an acknowledgment of the influence of the empire and a tribute to the two previous curry-loving monarchs,” Ms. Sukhadwala wrote in an email.

Mayonnaise, golden raisins, almonds and mango chutney form the base of this newer take on the coronation snack.Ryan Liebe for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Barrett Washburne.
Over the years, the recipe has become something more accessible to British home cooks. Out went the red wine reduction, whipped cream, homemade mayonnaise and apricot purée; in came jarred mayonnaise, golden raisins, sliced almonds and mango chutney, pantry staples you could quickly stir together in one bowl. And what was once a pinch of curry powder grew to several tablespoons, staining the mix a vivid — some say lurid — yellow.

By the 1980s, coronation chicken salad had become ubiquitous in Britain, found in ready-made sandwiches at Marks & Spencer and on backyard party menus alike.

This steep ascent was fueled by what the British food writer Gurdeep Loyal, author of “Mother Tongue: Flavours of a Second Generation,” calls a revival of Raj nostalgia that set in with Margaret Thatcher’s tenure as prime minister.

Coronation chicken “wants to evoke the peacocks and rubies, the grandeur and spice of regal Indian dynasties, without actually delivering any strong flavors,” Mr. Loyal said.

Yet he’s a fan. His version, which uses a complex Punjabi masala with black and green cardamom, ajwain, fennel and tamarind, alludes to the beloved 1980s version of his childhood while celebrating Mr. Loyal’s identity as a second-generation British Indian.

“I’m un-diluting its Indianness,” he said.

Still, the 1980s version is delightful, and a snap to make.

Starting with cooked chicken that already has loads of flavors will put you on the right foot.
Curry paste rather than curry powder is ideal here and gives the sandwich filling a vivid hue.
The key is to choose your ingredients carefully. Start with cooked chicken that already has loads of flavor, whether you’re poaching it yourself or buying a rotisserie bird from the store. Find a mango chutney brand that’s complex and not too sweet. Use a good, tangy mayonnaise, ideally homemade. And — if you can find it — stir in curry paste from a jar instead of curry powder, which, depending on the brand, can have a raw, acrid undertone.

The result is a dish for the people that’s fit for a king. Which you might be hard-pressed to say about quiche.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:23 pm
And here is the Chicken Salad version

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

For the Chicken - or use your own leftovers or rotisserie chicken

3½ to 4 pounds bone-in chicken parts (all breasts or a combination of parts)
1 tablespoon fine sea or table salt, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 onion
1 cinnamon stick

For the Salad

½ cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade, plus more as needed
½ cup plain Greek yogurt, sour cream or crème fraîche - use vegan yogurt or sour cream
3 tablespoons mango chutney (any large mango pieces chopped smaller), plus more to taste
1 tablespoon curry paste or powder (such as Madras), plus more to taste
⅓ cup diced dried apricots or golden raisins
3 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice, more to taste
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
¼ cup chopped cilantro, leaves and tender stems, or scallions
Fine sea or table salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Prepare the chicken: In a large saucepan or soup pot, combine the chicken, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, onion and cinnamon stick. Add enough water to cover everything by 1 inch, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Let simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let chicken cool in the broth.

Transfer cooled chicken to a cutting board, reserving the broth for another use. Pull the meat off the bones, discarding skin, and shred or dice the meat into bite-size pieces.

Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney, curry paste or powder, dried apricots or raisins, and lemon or lime juice, mixing well. Fold in the chicken, almonds, cilantro or scallion, and a little more mayonnaise if the mixture seems dry.

Taste and add more curry paste or powder. (You may end up doubling the amount; the flavors of curry pastes and powders vary widely.) Add more chutney, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper as needed. For the best flavor, let the mixture rest for at least 30 minutes before serving. It will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
Yes - A lot of the versions are not made with a cream sauce - at least the ones I have been stashing. But obviously you can't serve with Coronation Quiche. I had read that Charles had request quiche for the buffet

My interest in Coronation Chicken recipes dates back well before this coronation as I was reading a historical novel which took place in London around the time of Elizabeth's coronation and they mentioned it as being part of the menu so I was intrigued enough to investigate.

I have been saving it for a "lady's lunch" type of thing.

I think the most difficult part is finding kosher mango chutney.

I'd never heard of it including mango chutney! Not that we ever had it at home, but my impression is much closer to the original version.

estreya

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:34 pm
Coronation Chicken Over Rice – Serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 tablespoons apricot jam
½ cup chicken broth
1 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper
4 cups cooked rice

Grill or pan-fry the chicken breasts until cooked through. Let cool.

Heat the oil in a medium frying pan (you can use the same one you used for the chicken if you pan-fried it) and add the chopped onion. Fry the onion until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add in the curry powder, tomato puree, apricot jam and chicken broth. Mix together well and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool.

Using your hands or with two forks, shred the chicken into bite sized chunks.

Once the sauce is cool, use an immersion blender to puree the sauce until smooth. Add in the cup of mayonnaise and mix well. Coat the chicken in the sauce, and serve over the cooked rice.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:35 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I'd never heard of it including mango chutney! Not that we ever had it at home, but my impression is much closer to the original version.

As the article I posted, the recipe has evolved since 1953 but the original recipe does contain what would be somewhat like a mild mango chutney when added

For the sauce

2oz Onion (chopped)
2tsp Curry powder
1tsp Tomato purée
100ml Red wine
Water
1 Bay leaf
Lemon
Lemon juice
3tbsp Apricot purée, or apricot jam
¾pint Mayonnaise

3tbsp Whipped cream, plus a little more
1tbsp Oil
Salt and pepper
Sugar

sequoia

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:48 pm
zaq wrote:

Of course he is. He has to be there. It’s a monarchy. They don’t request, they command.

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:54 pm
sequoia wrote:
Of course he is. He has to be there. It’s a monarchy. They don’t request, they command.

sequoia

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:04 pm
Who’s the blue creature?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics