Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Coronation king Charles III
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:41 pm
zaq wrote:
When I see Charles, I don't see Malchut. I see an aging playboy, commitment-phobe, and adulterer.

Pretty much like every head of state (or figure head of state) in today's world...

DrMom

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:44 pm
zaq wrote:
When I see Charles, I don't see Malchut. I see an aging playboy, commitment-phobe, and adulterer.

I see a rubber chicken.

Congresswoman

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:48 pm
Those of you who are awed by the monarchy, are you also fans of chassidish Rabbis? Because I find very many similarities between those two courts.

They both inherited their meaningless titles, wear ridiculously elaborate clothes, bedeck themselves in riches, carry on funny generational rituals, have people photographing and oohing over each time they swallow. People flock to them to watch them like some kind of out-worldly exhibit. Add in the family politics and property/money drama to complete the picture.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:49 pm
zaq wrote:

Well yeah, I just watched the difference between Queen Elizebeth II coronation and Charles's... And the Queen was way more malchus then Charles... and tbh... Since I know Charles said he wanted to be camilla's tampon his s-xy talk is nothing .

mzybas

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:01 pm
No disrespect, but he looked a bit like he was playing dress up. I mean those shoes??

Penny M looked good though IMESHO

zaq

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:02 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Pretty much like every head of state (or figure head of state) in today's world...

Also in the ancient world. Which is why I don't worship "royalty" the way so many people do. What makes them "royalty" is not superior behavior but the fact that some centuries ago, their many-times-great grandpa was the biggest, meanest bully on the block who routed all the other bullies on the block and grabbed the property that they, in turn, grabbed from its rightful owners.

ETA Many titled British "aristocracy" were given their titles for "service to the Crown." Such favors included not only acts like providing loans of money and but also services like providing women or little boys to satisfy the ruler's tastes. Just saying.

Last edited by zaq on Mon, May 08 2023, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

mzybas

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:08 pm
zaq wrote:
Also in the ancient world. Which is why I don't worship "royalty" the way so many people do. What makes them "royalty" is not superior behavior but the fact that some centuries ago, their many-times-great grandpa was the biggest, meanest bully on the block who routed all the other bullies on the block and grabbed the property that they, in turn, grabbed from its rightful owners.

I've always wondered about this. When משה went to פרעה he showed him respect not because of who he was but because of the respect due to the מלכות. We say a ברכה when seeing a monarch. Why? They themselves are not particularly special.

zaq

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:21 pm
DrMom wrote:
I see a rubber chicken.

LOL

Trademark

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:26 pm
zaq wrote:

You think Monarchs in previous generations were paradigms of Malchus?

There were some who were, and others who weren't.

Trademark

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:27 pm
mzybas wrote:
I've always wondered about this. When משה went to פרעה he showed him respect not because of who he was but because of the respect due to the מלכות. We say a ברכה when seeing a monarch. Why? They themselves are not particularly special.

I think it's because they have the power to give execution orders...

mzybas

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:29 pm
Trademark wrote:

Is it fear then? Not respect?

Trademark

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:33 pm
mzybas wrote:
Is it fear then? Not respect?

I looked into it a bit, seems like this is the condition for whom you can make the Bracha, not the reason.

I'm not so well versed in this Smile

zaq

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:37 pm
Trademark wrote:
You think Monarchs in previous generations were paradigms of Malchus?

There were some who were, and others who weren't.

But we weren't discussing previous generations. We were discussing Charles. His mum was a class act and a model of propriety, someone who was an adornment to the title she bore. His great-uncle David, aka Edward VIII, later the Duke of Windsor, was another playboy and adulterer (and Nazi-lover, but that's a topic for another day), who had the grace to abdicate and let someone better lead the nation. (Not that he did it because he felt he wasn't worthy. He did it because he had the hots for a woman and the nation wouldn't let him reign if he married her. How times change.)

DrMom

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:37 pm
Trademark wrote:

And we have the paparazzi who can show us every minute of every day that these are just ordinary people who, by some complete accident of birth, inherit very fancy jobs.

mzybas

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:38 pm
Trademark wrote:
I looked into it a bit, seems like this is the condition for whom you can make the Bracha, not the reason.

I'm not so well versed in this Smile

I hear, it could be an indication though.
I mean שנתן מכבודו לבשר ודם is a big deal.

cookier

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 1:45 pm
zaq wrote:

What do you mean a commitment-phobe? He was committed to one woman his whole life, even when he had to marry another! Hiding

zaq

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:38 pm
cookier wrote:
What do you mean a commitment-phobe? He was committed to one woman his whole life, even when he had to marry another! Hiding

He didn't commit when he went to serve in the military. He expected that Camilla would play Penelope to his Odysseus and repel any and all suitors during his years-long absence. Since he had made no commitment to her, Camilla, unlike her future stepdaughter-in-law Kate, didn't wait around for years and years in the hopes that he would eventually get around to proposing marriage, but grabbed her chance to get married when she could.

He wouldn't commit to her when they were both honorably available. He wouldn't commit to his marriage vows, either. He was interested mainly when one or the other was legally and morally unavailable. That's what I call a commitment-phobe.

werty

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:58 pm
We aren't in awe of the people, its awe for what they represent. That's malchus - a person who is essentially representing something much bigger than himself.

Chassidic Rebbes of old were truly awesome people, and they taught awesome , holy ideals. Today, I'd assume that even those who may not be so awe inspiring in their own right, are revered for what ideals they represent as best they can.

pause

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:58 pm
zaq wrote:
He didn't commit when he went to serve in the military. He expected that Camilla would play Penelope to his Odysseus and repel any and all suitors during his years-long absence. Since he had made no commitment to her, Camilla, unlike her future stepdaughter-in-law Kate, didn't wait around for years and years in the hopes that he would eventually get around to proposing marriage, but grabbed her chance to get married when she could.

He wouldn't commit to her when they were both honorably available. He wouldn't commit to his marriage vows, either. He was interested mainly when one or the other was legally and morally unavailable. That's what I call a commitment-phobe.

He couldn't have married her in those years. The Firm wouldn't allow it.

werty

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 2:59 pm
werty wrote:
We aren't in awe of the people, its awe for what they represent. That's malchus - a person who is essentially representing something much bigger than himself.

Chassidic Rebbes of old were truly awesome people, and they taught awesome , holy ideals. Today, I'd assume that even those who may not be so awe inspiring in their own right, are revered for what ideals they represent as best they can.

*Lhavdil...
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics