Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Coronation king Charles III
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:02 am
Elfrida wrote:

Such a beautiful invitation with all they flowers Smile

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:10 am
Ruchi wrote:
It's still a church on the sabbath.
Mainstream orthodoxy do not agree that its permitted to enter a church even for a coronation.
The King as a religious man himself, surely would respect that a Jews doesn't enter a church if its not religiously permitted

You are the rav of Rabbi Mirvis?

Ruchi

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:13 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
You are the rav of Rabbi Mirvis?

You don't have to like what I wrote. But hey! No need to be sarcastic and cynical

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:16 am
Elfrida wrote:
The one on the upper right is a boar, representing strength.

The nauseous looking dog on the bottom left corner is apparently also a boar. Rolling Eyes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w......html

Thanks for posting this

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:23 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I heard a shiur, can't remember details, where the woman giving the shiur said that before RH she watches the Queen's coronation (with the sound off because of all the religious overtones) to give her a feel for majesty and malchus.

I like they idea but as Ruchi said I better check it with my Rav.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:34 am
AFAIK only UK and a few countries still keep the tradition of coronation among royalties.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:48 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
AFAIK only UK and a few countries still keep the tradition of coronation among royalties.

Well, only a few countries are monarchies of any sort.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:01 am
DrMom wrote:
Well, only a few countries are monarchies of any sort.

Correct
Which makes it even more rare Smile

OBnursemom

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:33 am
Ruchi wrote:
It's still a church on the sabbath.
Mainstream orthodoxy do not agree that its permitted to enter a church even for a coronation.
The King as a religious man himself, surely would respect that a Jews doesn't enter a church if its not religiously permitted

The link in the article from the Jerusalem Post stated that Rabbi Mirvis asked multiple shailos about this occasion and he was told that the Chief Rabbi is different and should be present.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:37 am
To ne honest, its not just about the King. There is also the public perception of the leader of the Jewish community rejecting a role in a national ceremony.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:42 am
Ruchi wrote:
You don't have to like what I wrote. But hey! No need to be sarcastic and cynical
Well... then I have to keep my mouth shut forever Laugh Laugh But u have a point dear

vicki

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 4:02 am
OBnursemom wrote:
The link in the article from the Jerusalem Post stated that Rabbi Mirvis asked multiple shailos about this occasion and he was told that the Chief Rabbi is different and should be present.

Despite the good standing of Jews in many countries around the world we are always just a speech or two from a villainous smooth talker away from a massacre.
I understand fully well that the Chief Rabbi of the UK was given a heter to attend the coronation. Even in a church.

Ruchi

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 12:19 am
Elfrida wrote:
To ne honest, its not just about the King. There is also the public perception of the leader of the Jewish community rejecting a role in a national ceremony.

Without any disrespect, the Chief Rabbi does not represent the charedi community.

s1

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 12:50 am
Ruchi wrote:
Without any disrespect, the Chief Rabbi does not represent the charedi community.

This may be true, however the government/royalty/authorities presumably don’t understand the nuances between chareidi/MO/jpf/sefardi/whatever other classifications we put ourselves into, and to them the ‘Chief Rabbi’ is what his title says he is.

WhatFor

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 1:47 am
Ruchi wrote:

No, but I think it's safe to assume that the Chief Rabbi knows more about the Halacha in this regard than any of us do; and if he said he consulted with Rabbanim it's safe to assume that kal vachomer they knew even more about it than any of us do.

There are specific halachot that apply to royalty, and that apply to community leaders, and that apply to unique situations. I would assume that if the Chief Rabbi is doing something publicly, it's the ideal option in that situation halachically.

When you're the Chief Rabbi, I'll certainly defer to your opinion on whether to attend a royal event and how to do it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 4:57 am
WhatFor wrote:
No, but I think it's safe to assume that the Chief Rabbi knows more about the Halacha in this regard than any of us do; and if he said he consulted with Rabbanim it's safe to assume that kal vachomer they knew even more about it than any of us do.

There are specific halachot that apply to royalty, and that apply to community leaders, and that apply to unique situations. I would assume that if the Chief Rabbi is doing something publicly, it's the ideal option in that situation halachically.

When you're the Chief Rabbi, I'll certainly defer to your opinion on whether to attend a royal event and how to do it.

I don't think that she meant that comment in the context of the psak to go into a church. I would think that even chareidim understand the optics, and, as was said, that outsiders don't get the nuances.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 04 2023, 5:16 am
Ruchi wrote:

You know, to the monarchy he most certainly does.
Reminds me of another meaning to "Kol Yisrael Areivim Zeh Lazeh".

Ruchi

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 12:38 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't think that she meant that comment in the context of the psak to go into a church. I would think that even chareidim understand the optics, and, as was said, that outsiders don't get the nuances.

Correct. My comment had nothing to do with the CR going to the Church

Ruchi

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 12:42 am
The Charedi community have their own separate government representation .

The Parliament Members , Ministers and other elected officials all know that the CR is not affiliated nor represents the Charedi community.

WhatFor

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:17 am
Ruchi wrote:
The Charedi community have their own separate government representation .

The Parliament Members , Ministers and other elected officials all know that the CR is not affiliated nor represents the Charedi community.

Who does?
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics