Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Does your 2018-2019 Honda randomly stall?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 7:54 am
Do you have a Honda Odyssey? Does your car randomly stall when your foot is fully on the brake and the engine is on auto shut off ( gas saving feature)? Has anyone managed to fix this issue without the mechanic insinuating that you don’t understand how cars work and it must be all in your head?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:36 am
I don't have that car but my neighbor did and had that issue. They ended up giving it back to honda to have it repaired and then sold the car. They bought a toyota sienna and are very happy.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 8:38 am
Yes! So scary. Sometimes it happens when I'm pulling out,, it will go from reverse to park,, instead of reverse to drive. My husband thinks I'm imagining it... never took it in to fix.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:13 am
On our Acura MDX, there's an energy saving feature where the engine stops when you're sitting idly at a red light. But it's not stalling, it's deliberate. If you move the steering wheel or take your foot off the break, it starts up again. My husband loves the feature.
Is this what is happening to your Odessey?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:33 am
amother Seashell wrote:
On our Acura MDX, there's an energy saving feature where the engine stops when you're sitting idly at a red light. But it's not stalling, it's deliberate. If you move the steering wheel or take your foot off the break, it starts up again. My husband loves the feature.
Is this what is happening to your Odessey?

See this is why Honda thought I was making it up. But it would shut off, and then tell me I had to shift to park- essentially I have to turn off the car and restart and all the while I live in NJ and everyone is honking at me and I’m panicking. Doesn’t happen so often, because I try not to let my engine stop. But it’s often enough.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:
See this is why Honda thought I was making it up. But it would shut off, and then tell me I had to shift to park- essentially I have to turn off the car and restart and all the while I live in NJ and everyone is honking at me and I’m panicking. Doesn’t happen so often, because I try not to let my engine stop. But it’s often enough.

Explain to them that you're familiar with the energy saving feature, and that this is different because the only way to get it back up and running is to park in order to restart the car otherwise it's stalled and no way to move forward even if moving steering wheel or taking foot off break.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 10:03 am
Isn't there a way to turn the automatic shut off system off? I know you have to do it each time you start the engine, but I'm pretty sure it can be done, but on each model it may be a different way. It's worth looking up.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 10:07 am
I just had this with my old Toyota Camry. The mechanic needed to add oil (not gasoline)

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 10:21 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
Isn't there a way to turn the automatic shut off system off? I know you have to do it each time you start the engine, but I'm pretty sure it can be done, but on each model it may be a different way. It's worth looking up.

Apparently you can. Will be trying this today. https://www.hondainfocenter.co.....stem/

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 11:37 am
amother Hosta wrote:
Yes! So scary. Sometimes it happens when I'm pulling out,, it will go from reverse to park,, instead of reverse to drive. My husband thinks I'm imagining it... never took it in to fix.

My husband fully admits to me that he thought I was imagining it, until he saw it happen one day while we were driving together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics