Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is there a way to convert an oven to milchigs?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:38 pm
My oven is fleshigs but I'd like to make cheesecake. Is there a way to do that? Can I self clean it, make the cheesecake (and maybe a few other milchig things once I'm at it) and then self clean again and use for fleshigs?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:39 pm
Sure. The same way an oven can be kashered for pesach, which is much more chamur.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:40 pm
Please speak to your LOR about this. Each oven is different and there are different opinions.

zaq

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:05 pm
Self-cleaning is self-kashering, even for Pesach. Enjoy your cheesecake.

Girl@Heart

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:07 pm
Make sure the oven is clean from food residue and put it up to broil for 30 minutes.

scruffy

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:07 pm
We hold that if the oven is clean you can wait 24 hours or put it on the highest temperature for 40 minutes, then use for dairy. Ask your LOR.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
My oven is fleshigs but I'd like to make cheesecake. Is there a way to do that? Can I self clean it, make the cheesecake (and maybe a few other milchig things once I'm at it) and then self clean again and use for fleshigs?

Yes. But I wouldn't self clean twice. You'll kill the oven.
To kasher it back, clean oven, keep cold 24 hours, turn to 550 to kasher for 40 minutes (libun kal).

octopus

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:29 pm
Of course it can be done but speak to your LOR to get the details how to do it.

farmom

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 5:32 pm
Speak to your LOR, not everyone holds that things can be kashered from fleishig to milchig and vice versa

Ruchi

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:14 pm
Imamothers are not Dayonim or Rabonim.
Please consult with your LOR who will give you the correct guidance you need.

chicco

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:31 pm
While I agree with the importance of going to one's rabbi with questions, the OP asked a very basic halachic question. Women who know the halacha are allowed to share it. That isn't considered paskening. It is the same as if she asked if a meaty knife used to cut an onion makes the onion meaty. The halacha doesn't change, and knowledgeable women are allowed to share it.

JenniferK

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 6:33 pm
We make sure the oven is clean - put on broil for an hour to switch between milchig and fleishig, vice versa.

Same for pesach.

zaq

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:17 pm
farmom wrote:
Speak to your LOR, not everyone holds that things can be kashered from fleishig to milchig and vice versa

You don't need to. Unless you don't trust the Star-K?

https://www.star-k.org/article.....vered)%20dairy%20item%20in%20it.&text=It%20is%20not%20necessary%20to,be%20clean)%20to%20cool%20down.

Snippets from this article--it's long:
If a meat oven is clean, one may bake a dry, uncovered (or covered) dairy item in it. It is not necessary to first kasher the oven or wait 24 hours. If one wants to bake a dry, uncovered dairy item immediately after cooking meat, one should first wait for the oven (which must be clean) to cool down.

gr82no

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:45 pm
chicco wrote:
While I agree with the importance of going to one's rabbi with questions, the OP asked a very basic halachic question. Women who know the halacha are allowed to share it. That isn't considered paskening. It is the same as if she asked if a meaty knife used to cut an onion makes the onion meaty. The halacha doesn't change, and knowledgeable women are allowed to share it.

On this thread op has received different opinions about what to do, when in doubt ask

gr82no

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:46 pm
zaq wrote:
You don't need to. Unless you don't trust the Star-K?

https://www.star-k.org/article.....vered)%20dairy%20item%20in%20it.&text=It%20is%20not%20necessary%20to,be%20clean)%20to%20cool%20down.

Snippets from this article--it's long:
If a meat oven is clean, one may bake a dry, uncovered (or covered) dairy item in it. It is not necessary to first kasher the oven or wait 24 hours. If one wants to bake a dry, uncovered dairy item immediately after cooking meat, one should first wait for the oven (which must be clean) to cool down.

Just saying a lot of people don’t hold by them

Highstrung

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:53 pm
My rav told me not to do it . He said that as a one time thing it’s ok. But not more than that , as a person can get used to going back and forth and forget whether you switched it to milk or meat . It’s more complicated than switching from treif to kosher or from chometz to Pesach.
My son learned this in yeshiva too with a different rav.

coloredleaves

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:55 pm
There are a some people who don't Kasher meat to milk and visa versa- and only Kasher in kosher and kosher and kosher to pesach. So need to see if u have that minhag. Another option is to buy a cheap toaster oven for milk. Then u can cook milchik anytime, not just for Shavuos. Most people I know with only one oven do it that way. (Buy a toaster own that fits a 9x13 pan) some even fit two pans bc they have two shelves)

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:21 pm
Highstrung wrote:
My rav told me not to do it . He said that as a one time thing it’s ok. But not more than that , as a person can get used to going back and forth and forget whether you switched it to milk or meat . It’s more complicated than switching from treif to kosher or from chometz to Pesach.
My son learned this in yeshiva too with a different rav.

That’s a recommendation not really the Halacha

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:23 pm
I personally only do it for shavous because doing it regularly I would for sure forget if it’s meat or dairy currently . But that’s my own sensitivity and not halacha. My rav told me I need to leave the oven unused for fleishigs for 24 hours and then run it on the highest temp for about 20 minutes. Same for switching it back.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:24 pm
Girl@Heart wrote:
Make sure the oven is clean from food residue and put it up to broil for 30 minutes.

This is by far not a blanket ruling. Everyone does differently, OP must ask her own Rav.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen