Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Kingston PA

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 9:39 pm
Hi all and TIA for any info!
We're seriously considering moving to Kingston, but I'm just looking for some updated info... How many families it's grown to, how big the school is, the shuls, the price of kosher food, the general vibes and feel of the people who live there. Also not Jewish community specific, how are the locals, the safety, the laws and local ordinances.
Anything you would've liked to have known before you moved would be very helpful!

busymother

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:53 pm
Bumping cuz also interested 🤗

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:54 pm
Are you Chabad? I think there are only Chabad families there.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:37 pm
Are you chabad? Or willing to be chabad?

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:41 pm
I live nearby in Scranton.
Kingston is booming! Lots of new stores and restaurants. It's mostly Chabad.
People get along with their non-Jewish neighbors, but like anywhere there's tension here and there.
If you're not looking for a Chabad community, Scranton would be better. Although no Jewish shops or restaurants. However, there's a very wide hashkafic range in Scranton

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:43 pm
Yes we're chabad

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes we're chabad

They just moved down Rabbi Oberlander

scintilla

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:22 am
It's the new Crown Heights, what else would you like to know LOL

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:23 am
scintilla wrote:

Huh? In what way?
Very different style and vibes than CH

scintilla

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:25 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Huh? In what way?
Very different style and vibes than CH

In the sense that everyone and their goldfish is moving there. I don't live there myself but I have literally dozens of friends and relatives there and plenty more moving now. It's booming! Bh, it's great for all these young families that have some room now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:30 am
scintilla wrote:

Oy this is exactly what we don't want. But is it just the amount of people you're referring to? Or actually same vibes and attitudes etc of CH?

scintilla

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Oy this is exactly what we don't want. But is it just the amount of people you're referring to? Or actually same vibes and attitudes etc of CH?

No definitely not CH vibes and attitudes. It's a very very nice community and group of people especially women.

Please see above - I don't live there I'm just familiar with it from visiting friends and family who live there. It really is nice and a lot of people are moving davka because it's so nice. They have 3 shuls now and a bunch of food places!

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:46 am
I think recently there are three central Chabad communities outside of CH. Kingston, Pomona and FL. Each is probably very different with a unique style. Not sure how to define it though.
R. Oberlender will surely be a big asset to Kingston.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:02 am
we checked out the community about a year ago. the person that showed us around didn't introduce us to anyone he just showed us houses we really wanted to see the community more and meet people.

From what I saw the person in charge of the community pretty much owns all the businesses in town and is trying to build up the area as much as possible.

Houses are nice and great pricing.

I know one person that moved there and they are very happy. We will probably go back and try to spend a shabbos there before deciding.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 3:13 am
scintilla wrote:
No definitely not CH vibes and attitudes. It's a very very nice community and group of people especially women.

Yes!
Nowhere oot is the same as CH
Id say there is a common thread between all pot communities although they are all so different
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating